JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm looking at getting a .22lr handgun for small game hunting(squirrels,partridge,rabbits,birds,ect....) and was wondering what the most reliable,fun, gun out there. Right now I'm looking at the s&w m&p 22lr. I have also looked at the ruger sr22 and the ruger mark111/2245. what do you guys think????

I have a Beretta U22 NEOS and they are currently a steal at Sportsman's Warehouse for about $250 new. It is quite accurate and easy to take down. You can also dry fire it to your heart's content because the firing pin is quite beefy. You would have to probably beat on that firing pin with a hammer to break it.

If exclusively for hunting I would consider a good revolver, either SA or DA but it would be a revolver. It is too easy to follow up a miss with a semi auto and this leads to wasted ammo and few hits. Get a good revolver (with a good trigger and GOOD sights) and practice the BASICS of revolver shooting, ya know like trigger pull (no jerking) sight alignment and lots of target time. The first shot is typically the one that hits it's target and fast follow-ups are rarely effective. You need to get to a point where you can hit a clay every shot at 25 yards (stationary, and not flying through the air) before considering small game hunting with a .22 - and it's not that difficult with a gun you are comfortable with and if that happens to be a semi then you are ahead of the game. But starting out stick with the basics. Lots of good .22 revolvers out there.

So I'm looking at getting a .22lr handgun for small game hunting(squirrels,partridge,rabbits,birds,ect....) and was wondering what the most reliable,fun, gun out there. Right now I'm looking at the s&w m&p 22lr. I have also looked at the ruger sr22 and the ruger mark111/2245. what do you guys think????

A S&W K22 and you could never regret it, as an accurate reliable revolver. A pistol, look at the Ruger MK 1, MK2, MK3, 22/45 if you prefer a semi auto, and if you have a little extra,
a S&W 41 for superb accuracy and reliability.

I have a Beretta U22 NEOS and they are currently a steal at Sportsman's Warehouse for about $250 new. It is quite accurate and easy to take down. You can also dry fire it to your heart's content because the firing pin is quite beefy. You would have to probably beat on that firing pin with a hammer to break it.
Its not the firing pin that's the problem on most rim fires its the edge of the chamber that will end up getting peened to the point you can't chamber a round.

Browning Buckmark camper, Stainless barrel, Easy shooter, Easy to clean, extra magazines are cheap, very accurate. Watch yourself become a better shooter with this gun. My only dislike is the Magazine safety.

I will put in my Two 1950 pennies here.... Best most accurate hand gun I ever owned, a Ruger Single Six with two Cylinders, 22LR & 22 Magnum, 5 1/2" Bbl, easy to holster, easy to carry, accurate? Better than most can hold.

My best shot? A head shot on a grouse, about 25 feet. That is reality there. Point. shoot. clean. Eat... Never tried it on squirrels, but their head is much larger ;)

How I learned to shoot it???? Water Balloons. Blown up with air to small apple size. Tied to leaves on trees. Its a go, no go target. We would start with ten, and whoever shot LESS, blew up the next batch of Balloons... :D

I was out in the garage a while back, my house keeper came in... "I don't like the garage, to many spiders" "Well, I'll just shoot them for you" "You can hit spiders"?

Yes, and if I can hit REAL TINY Targets, I hit big ones Better!!!! I was serious in that tease, the idea is Aim Small, Hit Small.

philip.

I will put in my Two 1950 pennies here.... Best most accurate hand gun I ever owned, a Ruger Single Six with two Cylinders, 22LR & 22 Magnum, 5 1/2" Bbl, easy to holster, easy to carry, accurate? Better than most can hold.

My best shot? A head shot on a grouse, about 25 feet. That is reality there. Point. shoot. clean. Eat... Never tried it on squirrels, but their head is much larger ;)

How I learned to shoot it???? Water Balloons. Blown up with air to small apple size. Tied to leaves on trees. Its a go, no go target. We would start with ten, and whoever shot LESS, blew up the next batch of Balloons... :D

I was out in the garage a while back, my house keeper came in... "I don't like the garage, to many spiders" "Well, I'll just shoot them for you" "You can hit spiders"?

Yes, and if I can hit REAL TINY Targets, I hit big ones Better!!!! I was serious in that tease, the idea is Aim Small, Hit Small.

philip.
I have that exact pistol in stainless. I really need to change the front sight. I shoot better with my 380' 32 and 45. That stock front sight is gigantic. Course I have!nt shot it in 4 years so maybe it's gotten better with the ammo shortage, etc. it is the first pistol I ever bought. In Texas in 1981. $225.00 at the local hardware store I think in del rio.... Maybe gunshop, can't remember exactly.

Brutus out

I see a lot of people voting for either the Ruger auto, Single Six, or Browning. I cut my teeth on a single six and later a Mk1 bull barrel. Cant go wrong with either. My first handgun was an H&R 950. Cant find them much now but still going strong after a gazillion rounds. Congrats on bringing forward another new shooter no matter what you pick. My daughter wasnt interested until she was out living on her own. Finally she figured out the need for guns. Now she has my/her Glock.

You'll figure it out. If backpacking, you kinda want light. Everything must be reliable and accurate though.
For a backpacker, I've had good luck with the weird but perfect 4" S&W 422.. it takes model 41 mags.. they are the same..

SWModel422.jpg

For just a killing laser (it probably weighs less than two pounds), I favor the 4" Browning Nomad..

Browning+Nomad-2.jpg

Both are very reliable and accurate.
They don't make either of these guns any longer.. there's a pile more viable .22's that would/will fill the bill nicely that aren't new.

Good luck.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top