JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who makes one in a small CC version like a "J" frame S&W?

I'm seriously considering replacing my S&W 36, .38 spl., "Chiefs Special" for a small concealable .22 revolver. Most will think I'm crazy, but the 36 rarely ever gets fired. It is my carry gun and is very concealable, but expensive to practice with, even handloading. A .22LR is just plain fun and cheap and would be well used in my home range. And I believe a .22WMR would make a good carry weapon. I also have a SP101 in .357 mag for those times that something bigger is in order.

If Ruger made the LCR in a convertible .22LR/.22WMR, I'd have it in an instant. Does anyone make something similar in size? I've been searching, but no luck, so far.

Not aware of any snub in a convertible 22/22mag. My experience with 22mag in a short barrel is that it does little but make more noise and muzzle flash. I had a NAA Black widow in 22mag/22lr, it was OK but the specks I have seen only give it about 100 Fee per second more than a 22lr and it is almost as expensive as a 38sp for ammo. The 22mag is a good cartage but it takes a longer barrel to get the benefit over a 22lr. The only other 22 convertibles that I know of are larger guns.

The new Taurus is too big. Finally settled on a tiny Taurus PT22 (Beretta Bobcat clone) and also got a Ruger SR22. Between the two, I expect to have a blast. The Taurus, if satisfactory, will slip into a pocket for quick carry, especially during the Summer months in light clothing. I haven't seen the Ruger, so don't have any idea of it's size or carry ability.

S&W does make a 351PD which is a seven shooter lightweight J frame, but it is .22 Mag only. I have one and a NAA convertible with both cylinders I have never had the occasion to fire the NAA, but the S&W is a delight.

Charter ams makes the Pathfinder Target convertable in a 4" barrel convertable

<broken link removed>

or the 2" comes in one or the other

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

I have a Charter Arms Pitbull in .40 S&W, a little more complicated because of the .40 caliber, but solid and to me, well made. I will keep my eye out for a Pathfinder in .22 LR / .22 Mag

I do know a few folks that like the 22 caliber for carry also, but my concern is with a rimfire you get that occasional misfire. In a defensive pistol thats not a good thing.

I have my Ruger pistols for range and field shooting and love them. Cheap to operate as you discuss. But for carry any centerfire is the better choice, maybe even the 25 caliber.

From time to time I will carry a tiny seecamp 32 auto in a Galco horsehide front pocket holster. You don't even know its there. But to be practical a larger caliber from 380 up is the better choice.

I have to admit that I originally bought the Charter Arms .40 for Concealed Carry and perhaps I will carry it in the future, but it is so easy to carry either of my .22 Mags and the NAA is by far easiest. I end up with it in my back pocket more often than not.

Since I started this thread, I've traded my S&W 36 and aquired an SR22 and later purchased an LCR 22. I don't like the SR22 for carry due to its size with the laser. Too bulky around the barrel. The LCR is a dream to carry. I use a Remora tucked IWB over my appendix and it's so comfortable, I forget it's there.

With either, I can (usually) put 8-10 rounds in a 7" target at 20 feet in two seconds. I practice speed and accuracy. Using a .22 for CCW, I consider speed and accuracy to be very important. I'd like to get accuracy down to 4-5" at 20 feet and still keep it ~ 2 seconds to empty a magazine or cylinder. I can do it occasionally, but am striving for more consistancy.

http://www.hmds.ws/Pics/SR22RapidFire.wmv

I do know a few folks that like the 22 caliber for carry also, but my concern is with a rimfire you get that occasional misfire. In a defensive pistol thats not a good thing.

I have my Ruger pistols for range and field shooting and love them. Cheap to operate as you discuss. But for carry any centerfire is the better choice, maybe even the 25 caliber.

From time to time I will carry a tiny seecamp 32 auto in a Galco horsehide front pocket holster. You don't even know its there. But to be practical a larger caliber from 380 up is the better choice.

I'll take a 22mag over a 25 or a 32 auto any time. I bet you get more penetration with a 22 mag