JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm looking at killing some varmints at about 200 yards. Any other suggestions for a rim fire?

You may want to look into a centerfire such as .223rem, 204ruger, or 22-250 if shooting out to 200 yards. Thats probably the max effective range for a 17hmr or 22 magnum on small varmints. If it were me I'd feel more comfortable shooting a more capable round at that distance.

I killed a lot of varmints with my .17hmr over a 2-3 year period, then longest only being 125-150yrds, and it did a fine job.

Sold it thinking a .22wmr would be a better gun for me and have always regretted getting rid of the hmr.

200yds is quite a ways for any rimfire but if any can do it it is definitely the .17hmr, a .22lr will not even be close.

There's no comparison. If the wind is calm I have no problem hitting small bottles and such at 200 yards with my .17HMR... I would agree, for regular use at or beyond 200 yards you may want to look at something like a .223... Keep it at 200 yards max and the .17HMR would work great IMO.

The .17hmr does great out to 200 yrds, And with one of the good turret scopes they make for the 17 shooting out past that is not a big deal with calm wind. but taking anything bigger then a pop bottle or a crow you not going to have much energy. I have seen a .17hmr drop a coyote stone dead at 137yrd. but Its all about shot placement and i would not trust it on anything that big any further out then that. I use a 22-250 for dogs. But when you want something fun and a lot cheaper to shoot for plinking the .17hmr is a GREAT riffle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top