Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

22l vs. 17hmr?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Grand Poo Bah, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Grand Poo Bah

Grand Poo Bah Eugene, OR New Member

I'm looking at a 17hmr or a 22L What can I exect to get our of these rounds? I'm looking at killing some varmints at about 200 yards. Any other suggestions for a rim fire?

2. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

3. bt97006

bt97006 Aloha Member

You may want to look into a centerfire such as .223rem, 204ruger, or 22-250 if shooting out to 200 yards. Thats probably the max effective range for a 17hmr or 22 magnum on small varmints. If it were me I'd feel more comfortable shooting a more capable round at that distance.

4. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

I killed a lot of varmints with my .17hmr over a 2-3 year period, then longest only being 125-150yrds, and it did a fine job.

Sold it thinking a .22wmr would be a better gun for me and have always regretted getting rid of the hmr.

200yds is quite a ways for any rimfire but if any can do it it is definitely the .17hmr, a .22lr will not even be close.

5. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

There's no comparison. If the wind is calm I have no problem hitting small bottles and such at 200 yards with my .17HMR... I would agree, for regular use at or beyond 200 yards you may want to look at something like a .223... Keep it at 200 yards max and the .17HMR would work great IMO.

6. BigBluePup

BigBluePup S.W. Washington New Member

The .17hmr does great out to 200 yrds, And with one of the good turret scopes they make for the 17 shooting out past that is not a big deal with calm wind. but taking anything bigger then a pop bottle or a crow you not going to have much energy. I have seen a .17hmr drop a coyote stone dead at 137yrd. but Its all about shot placement and i would not trust it on anything that big any further out then that. I use a 22-250 for dogs. But when you want something fun and a lot cheaper to shoot for plinking the .17hmr is a GREAT riffle.