JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been considering getting a final AR15 put together or a purchase of a nice one before OR goes full blown idiot mode.

I've been heavily considering the 224 v.

Alll that I've seen is really poor results with the heavy bullets. Just at or just above MOA results.

Sure the light bullets are dead nuts straight and print stupid results, but what's the point of using 224 for less than 70 grain bullets?

So I ask, is this cartridge dead?

I think it's either dead or walking the line to its death.

Just seems like they never got the heavy bullets to do what they wanted them to do in this cartridge.

I think LOTS of vanity/wildcat cartridges are essentially dead. Kinda like the T-shirt that read "Seemed like a good idea at the time".

:)

It didn't really fill any niche. 6.5 grendel was doable long range shooting and doubled as a good hunting round. .300 blk suppresses pretty well, and is decent out of pistol length barrels (and sort of doubles as a decent hunting round in short distances). .224 valkyrie seems like it was just for shooting long range, which other rounds already existed for.

Some wildcats can escape the wildcat status, most don't. Seems .224 is gonna go as far as it entered.

I think it's a half baked idea.

Not bad but just not formed.

If you want to drive a heavy 224 bullet it makes sense. Sorta. If you're limited to an AR mag length it makes some sense.

However you just don't get to the velocities you need for accuracy. It's never going to be a 22-250. And if that's what you need then get an AR10.

At the velocities you can get it becomes a lot more like a 6 or 6.5 of some sort and they buck wind better.

I think it's a good experiment but not exactly what's needed

My person gripe with the .224 is the case head dia. I never really gave chambering an AR much thought but would have one in a bolt gun if I could have purchased a stripped Rem 700 that could run it. (Savage could have been an option) But when faced with the notion of buying a custom bolt/modification or a custom action it just didn't add up. For me its a balancing act of powder charge vs. velocity at a given bullet weight for the caliber. Now everyone in PRS/NRL is running 6mm Benchrest/Dasher or Ackley with nearly the same powder charge weight using a "standard" bolt face dia. I think that could be a place the .224 Valkyrie could find a home but it has some strong competition. I still like the idea....

Last Edited:
Well as someone who's already built, shoots and reloads for 224 Valkyrie, my opinion may be a little biased.

It's true that Federals first attempt at creating 90gr projectiles fell short of it's expectations but they have developed some more promising rounds since then. They've supposedly improved the 90gr SMK's but they have alot more in the line up as well.

78gr Barnes TSX
80.5gr Gold Medal Berger Hybrid
90gr SMK and Fusion MSR

Personally, I've received my reloading education primarily with the 224 Valkyrie rounds. It is the round that finally tipped me over the edge into reloading my own ammo. It's been fun exploring the uncharted waters this round presents and the journey is far from over.

I have plenty of rifles and every rifle does not have to have a specific purpose (other than being fun for me to shoot and enjoy). In fact, some of my guns are just for the novelty. I don't hunt, though many of my rifles would be suited for it.

Right now my quest with the 224 Valkyrie remains the same as it was on day one, to make cloverleaf patterns on paper at great distances. Maybe Federal will come up with a round that can do that but I'm putting my money on my own reloading prowess to get me there. I just need to keep on exploring the round until I find the "magic" bullet.

So I guess my answer is no, I have not given up on the 224 Valkyrie yet.

The appeal of being able to pop a different upper on my AR and go long(ish) range shooting with the guys makes me really want to build a .224 upper, but all the bad range reports are a bit off putting. I hope the round survives, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well as someone who's already built, shoots and reloads for 224 Valkyrie, my opinion may be a little biased.

It's true that Federals first attempt at creating 90gr projectiles fell short of it's expectations but they have developed some more promising rounds since then. They've supposedly improved the 90gr SMK's but they have alot more in the line up as well.

78gr Barnes TSX
80.5gr Gold Medal Berger Hybrid
90gr SMK and Fusion MSR

Personally, I've received my reloading education primarily with the 224 Valkyrie rounds. It is the round that finally tipped me over the edge into reloading my own ammo. It's been fun exploring the uncharted waters this round presents and the journey is far from over.

I have plenty of rifles and every rifle does not have to have a specific purpose (other than being fun for me to shoot and enjoy). In fact, some of my guns are just for the novelty. I don't hunt, though many of my rifles would be suited for it.

Right now my quest with the 224 Valkyrie remains the same as it was on day one, to make cloverleaf patterns on paper at great distances. Maybe Federal will come up with a round that can do that but I'm putting my money on my own reloading prowess to get me there. I just need to keep on exploring the round until I find the "magic" bullet.

So I guess my answer is no, I have not given up on the 224 Valkyrie yet.
Was hoping someone with one would comment.

However, it does sound like your experiences are on par with the rest.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top