JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I fl sized a bunch of 223 and reloaded it. And now SOME of the reloads aren't feeding properly. I did Not use a small base die when sizing. I know my problem and can fix it from here on out.

I'd rather not take apart the 1k reloads if I can help it. Is there any chamber gauge anyone has used to check all my reloads? I'll pull the 'big' ones and plink the others. And from here on out use sb dies.

Any advice would be great!

So I fl sized a bunch of 223 and reloaded it. And now SOME of the reloads aren't feeding properly. I did Not use a small base die when sizing. I know my problem and can fix it from here on out.

I'd rather not take apart the 1k reloads if I can help it. Is there any chamber gauge anyone has used to check all my reloads? I'll pull the 'big' ones and plink the others. And from here on out use sb dies.

Any advice would be great!

So how are they not feeding properly? If they are getting stuck, you could pull the Bcg (AR?) and upper, and drop them in the chamber to see if they go in easily.

FWIW, I have reloaded thousands of .223 on a standard die set without a single issue. Raise ram until she'll holder is touching die face, lower ram, tighten die 1/8 turn. Zero issues.

If you didn't "cam over" the ram, as explained above, you might be able to bring them into spec now by removing the decapper and sizing the loaded rounds with the die set lower. I'd wear safety glasses.. lol

A common cause of this kind of problem is when the seat die touches the case mouth, causing the shoulder to buckle on some of the rounds, you can buy a post sizing die to fix the oversize cases, or if you have a die for another cartridge using a bigger projo, like 6x45mm, you can pull the decapping stem and use it. I have done this with a .358 die and .308.

In the future, when you are setting up your seating die, make sure you turn it one full turn back from when it contacted the case mouth, that way you can avoid this. If you want to crimp your case mouths, buy a Lee Factory Crimp die. The taper crimp feature on most seating dies is too hard to get set up consistently, especially if you are using fired brass.

If you didn't "cam over" the ram, as explained above, you might be able to bring them into spec now by removing the decapper and sizing the loaded rounds with the die set lower. I'd wear safety glasses.. lol
I was typing when this was posted^^^. You can also do that, it may work, just not quite as well as a post sizing die would. Don't forget to lube the cases!

So how are they not feeding properly? If they are getting stuck, you could pull the Bcg (AR?) and upper, and drop them in the chamber to see if they go in easily.

FWIW, I have reloaded thousands of .223 on a standard die set without a single issue. Raise ram until she'll holder is touching die face, lower ram, tighten die 1/8 turn. Zero issues.
So they jammed on 2 different ARs but that's not a bad idea. I'll try it.

So they are seated correctly. Crimped on the crimp and I measured OAL.
Cannelures and oal have little to do with actual throat leade but I hear you.. they probably are fine in that regard.
The thing is, they either are or aren't being jammed.. it's a simple matter to check, regardless of measured oal or cannelure.

OK....sorry, I can't think of a simple solution short of pulling the bullets and starting again. Unless, there is a special die somewhere that will accept the entire already loaded cartridge and just re-size the case body.

So anyway.....buy this case gauge.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/456614/le-wilson-case-length-headspace-gage-223-remington

Buy one for each caliber of bottle necked cartridges you'll be loading for. It's not made for checking loaded ammo. Rather, it's made for checking your re-sized brass. Put your empty re-sized brass case into it, one side will check your cut to length. The other side, will be used to gauge your re-sized cases. There are two cuts on it....max and min. Screw your die in or out a bit. Get your brass to gauge between those marks and you should be GTG.

Though.....I must warn that there might be a tight chamber where you may have to go to the min side of the cut. But thankfully, semi auto chambers are usually generous compared to bolt guns. So, maybe you won't have to worry, until you get a bolt gun or a really tight chamber on your semi auto.

BTW, I use a regular sizing die set. You could invest in a SB die set but, once I started using the gauge and checking my re-sized brass I didn't have to.

Oh, about the "cam over." Yes, cam over while sizing does it. Though you should also use the gauge so that you don't over do it.

Aloha, Mark

Your Brass / De cap then tumble them, swage and clean the primer pockets if you did not wile tumbling, full length size your brass properly, then trim to length and chauffeur.
Measure everything in the bullet description that has to do with the case and make sure it is all in tolerance.
You are now ready to load one proof case this may require several loaded cases before you have the dies exactly where you want them.
Chamber that round, it it fits - jolly - Now you can start to re load several more checking by cambering a round for your rifle from time to time.
I can't tell you what you did wrong, did you do something differently. Not that there is not some other way of doing things I just don't know of any.
Silver Hand

This is what never happens to you but always to someone else.
Silver Hand

5.56 MM or 223 REM round 004 1.JPG

Another angle to get my point across. I still did not capture the other shrapnel pieces but you get the drift It is not torn rims or stuck cases they are warning you about.
Silver Hand

View attachment 278396
That's a good reminder. I was hoping for a 'drop the loaded round into' type of thing. I have them for checking loaded pistol (45 auto) and if the round does drop flush it won't chamber. When hand loading I usually check every 4th or 5th one takes a second. I use a Dillon 550b and have only found 1 that wouldn't chamber. Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll have time tonight to try a few of the ideas. I'll keep you'll posted.

x2. standard .223 die with cam over and never had a problem.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top