JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's a good reminder. I was hoping for a 'drop the loaded round into' type of thing. I have them for checking loaded pistol (45 auto) and if the round does drop flush it won't chamber. When hand loading I usually check every 4th or 5th one takes a second. I use a Dillon 550b and have only found 1 that wouldn't chamber. Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll have time tonight to try a few of the ideas. I'll keep you'll posted.
Like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JBCUK44...=UTF8&colid=IUP8WKE70VFF&coliid=IQ2SU8BC2VEZI
Silver Hand

Tampering with live rounds is NUTS.
Do it if you feel it is worth the risk, Just saying.
Silver Hand
Post sizing rounds hardly qualifies as "tampering". If it was so dangerous, I'm sure Lee Precision would have taken the post sizing ring out of their pistol Factory Crimp dies, or been sued into extinction.

I never used one of those things but rely on my micrometers
and the chamber of the rifle or pistol I am loading for.
Don't jam the round into the chamber but fit it to the chamber. On a .225 or 5.56 mm it it easiest to set the die to full length size the case, get that right remove the cases from this step and trim them to length. Dillon 550 is a great tool but the quality in the work has to be put there first.
Did you measure everything you could with your micrometer.
You might find it with just a cheap Harbor freight Micrometer, on sale they are about ten or so dollars. In the future you can measure things by the book starting with the MT case and so on if you have one. That jig I sent you the link to is not your chamber size it is a standard minimum for that round size. your chamber is always your best gauge.
Silver Hand

Silver,
I haven't mic'ed them. I reload for all my rounds (45 auto, 357 mag, 22-250, 6mm rem, 308, 7mm rem, 338 LM) and have never had this issue. I've done bulk loading for the 45 and 357 and they've all turned out great. I usually have an 'assembly line' going for the 223. I'm going to check the chamber.

Thanks for all the help.

Did you bump the shoulder back?

Headspace too long?

I had .005" too much headspace and ended up with this:
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/ar-15-i-have-to-keep-mortaring-to-get-rounds-out.194933/
Ok just read your thread! Good to know. So did you pull all the loaded rounds and re-size them? I am sooooo not looking forward to that. Hence the, I wish there was a way to check them quickly. Some of them actually fired while others did not... Thanks for the heads up

Ok just read your thread! Good to know. So did you pull all the loaded rounds and re-size them? I am sooooo not looking forward to that. Hence the, I wish there was a way to check them quickly. Some of them actually fired while others did not... Thanks for the heads up
Yeah. I have a collet puller so it wasn't too bad.

Promise to mail it back and I'll let you borrow my Dillon case gauge.

A common cause of this kind of problem is when the seat die touches the case mouth, causing the shoulder to buckle on some of the rounds, you can buy a post sizing die to fix the oversize cases, or if you have a die for another cartridge using a bigger projo, like 6x45mm, you can pull the decapping stem and use it. I have done this with a .358 die and .308.

In the future, when you are setting up your seating die, make sure you turn it one full turn back from when it contacted the case mouth, that way you can avoid this. If you want to crimp your case mouths, buy a Lee Factory Crimp die. The taper crimp feature on most seating dies is too hard to get set up consistently, especially if you are using fired brass.

Excellent post. I'd bet money it was done during the bullet seating process. I've seen it before. Properly setting up your seater also helps with TIR/runout and accuracy.

Could also be a trim length / crimp issue as well...

If all your cases are not the same length, the longer ones may get distorted a bit when crimping/seating your bullets, especially if you used a "short" case to set up your crimp.

If you trimmed all your cases to the same length before loading them, disregard this...;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top