JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
NWF Members,

Hey guys I have just bought a .223 Thompson rifle, it's a great rifle and I love it.
My question is; what would the grand total be to get the barrel threaded, a suppressor, and sub-sonic rounds?

Just looking for in a ballpark guess. I have seen some pretty cool YouTube videos. And hook lined and sinkerd me:eek:

I'd check the twist.. if it's only good for 55gr slugs, you might as well just use .22lr almost. Also, even if it's good for 55gr military ball, double check how it'll affect that/a given slug at 1/3 the speed.

My subsonic rounds are pretty nice. It's a 69gr SMK with 3.4 grains of trail boss. I don't use a suppressor yet, but the rounds are very very quiet. Quiet enough to not have my crazy anti gun neighbors freak out on me when I shoot varmints in my back yard with them. (And no there isn't houses in the direction i shoot.)I don't even need hearing protection to shoot them. Those don't cost to much if you have the bullets and powder laying around. Your suppressor will be anywhere from $450-$2000 + the $200 tax stamp. Unless you build your own, then just the $200 tax stamp and the price of the parts. To get a barrel threaded, probably $50- $150. Depending on your gunsmith. Hope this helps

You can buy "extreme shock" subsonic .223 but it is very expensive. If I remember it is about $1 a shot. I reload my own subsonic .223 so it's way cheaper. If you don't reload then I believe the extreme shock is the only subsonic option.

I'd get a box of Aguila .22lr 60 grain subsonics at 950fps and see if those'll satisfy your quiet bone. Ideally you'd want a manually operated rifle though.. you can use a can on the Aguilas too.

The Aguila 60 grainers are tricky, unless your shooting them in a 1/8 or 1/7 twist barrel, Maby a 1/9. I don't have any experience with the 1/9 so don't know exactly. If you shoot them in a .22's normal rifling, the bullet will not stabilize and keyhole right out of the barrel. If your shooting it through a .223 barrel, you should be okay. But if its a .22lr then you may run into problems. If you have a suppressor on and the bullet doesn't stabilize it will destroy your suppressor. Very quickly...

Yeah. I've tried all three of these possibilities. The quietest without a supressor by far, is the 60 grain .22s. Those work great with .22lr AR-15 conversion kits out to ~100 yards. The most cost effective by far is hand loads.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top