JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While out shooting at my other local shooting spot I found about 100 or so .223 sized casings. So I picked them up, but the head stamp is confusing me. I can't take a very clear picture, but I made a sample in paint pretty easy. Any help is much appreciated in identifying this brass.

fc1129.jpg

fc1129.jpg

Federal Cartridge made in 2012. Highly likely that it was originally a 5.56 case. But who cares? You are going to be running it thru a 223 die. Which in turn will make it a 223 case.

5.56 is thicker? Correct? So then even loaded to a .223 load still has more case pressure than a .223 case loaded to .223 spec?

I don't reload but that's what I was under the impression of.

Is there a crimp ring around the primer pocket? If so, prolly 5.56.
Yes there appears to be a crimp.
Incorrect terminology used by my self. What that was implying was, "a 223 case with a military style primer crimp loaded to 5.56 pressure spec." :D
So if I remove the crimp can I use my cci small rile primers on it and load it as .223? Or do I have to buy military 5.56 primers.

The only thing military/5.56 primer are for is to protect against slam fires in semi autos such as an AR15. They do that with a thinker than standard cup material. Standard/magnum small rifle primer are just fine, and have been used probably billions of times.

Yes, you can. Advantages? Nothing more than they are said to be more consistent than standard small rifle primers. I personally don't have and of my own numbers to back that statement. You'd have to ask a bench rest shooter.

Ok thanks. Was just curious because of the guy on craigslist selling wolf small rifle magnum primers.

Speaking of ultimate accuracy.........well, I've found case "thickness and weight" to be all over the place, mfn to mfn and lot to lot...........I don't assume it'll be "consistent enough" unless all the brass is from one lot#.

But, for plinking ammo (using range p/u brass) who really cares?

5.56x45mm Case Weight Comparison

NJ HiPower - Cartridge Tech Specs

Another chart........

223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide

Case Weight Comparison 7.62 x 51mm

Miscellaneous Questions 4

And, just because a chart says X weight, it doesn't mean that your's will be X weight.

Wolf Primers.

People have been complaining. Wolf has expanded their line up in an effort to quell the complaints about their SR Magnum primers when used with 5.56/.223 loads.

SMALL RIFLE PRIMER (part # QQQSR) - Used as a standard small rifle primer. Perfect for the 30 carbine and 223 standard loads. Many people use this primer in bench and other loads for the 223. This primer is a copper colored primer.

SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMER (part# QQQSRM) - This is the primer we had before for use in the 5.56 loads and hot 223 loads. A thick cup for the higher pressure. We sold a lot of these primers earlier this year. The new lot is brass colored instead of nickel.

SMALL RIFLE 223 (part # QQQSR223) NEW NEW This is the newest primer available in the Wolf line. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass or copper colored thick cup. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite.

Use the correct product.

Using a standard or magnum primer.

DYK, that some manuals spec a magnum primer with certain powders? Why?
A: Some powders are said to be harder to ignite.

That being said.......you're the reloader, it's your bench, your firearm, your life. Experimentation (within reason) is part of the reloading experiance. Proceed at your own risk. The manual writers don't want anyone to get hurt using their data. For LIABILITY sakes.......and being that this is an open forum. I'll just say to follow your manual's recommendations.

Just choosing a "different brand" can skew your results.......

Read: How do changing various components affect chamber pressure and velocity?

Miscellaneous Questions 4

And....

IF you look at the various web sites, not all of them will specifically say that ONLY a thicker cup is used in their magnum (or military primer) vs. their standard primer. It could also be a case where the chemical compound is different (burns "hotter" or has "more brisance").

In essence..........a magnum (or military) primer is usually said to have "less sensitivity" and "more brisance."

Then..........

Conversely, standard (or match) primers are usually said to have "more sensitivity" and "less brisance."

That sensitivity with lower brisance, equates with accuracy. So, most shooters who are looking for accuracy will choose to use, a standard (or Match) primer over a magnum (or military) primer.

Military Spec primers and slam fires.

This sort of question(s) about military primers in semi-auto firearms comes up often........

CCI® No. 34 and No. 41 MILITARY RIFLE PRIMERS

Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a "slam-fire" can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals accomplish this using different techniques and components—including different primer sensitivity specifications—from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specs that reduce the chance of a slam-fire when other factors go out of control*. If you're reloading for a military semi-auto, look to CCI Military primers.
*Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential.

Did you note the *?
So, some re-loaders have been convinced that it's a, "must have." As for Me........"Nope."

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads