JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
223 vs 22wmr?

Not a fair comparison to measure rimfire with centerline cartridges in my opinion.

I could see comparison between 22lr and 22wmr as they are related but to compare a rimfire 22wmr to a 223 that has so many variables isn't really worthy of comparison.

I have both and the 22WMR is a dandy little accurate field gun that is flat shooting compared to the 22lr. It doesn't require ear protection outdoors and I can carry a lot more 22mag on those sage rat hunts than I can 223.

Occasionally I see a .22 WMR rifle and think I might want it.

But then I look at the cost of the ammo (about the same as some .223), and then I think about the fact that it isn't that much faster than some hi-vel .22 LR ammo, and then I think about the fact that I can download/reload .223 to .22 WMR velocities and way above, has a much wider selection of bullets, and I already have a .223 bolt action rifle.

Am I missing something here??
A Hornet.

There was a time you could buy Russian 223 for about the same per round as 22wmr cost. Both throw away cases you can't reload. My 22 mag at 100 yards was more accurate than the Russian ammo produced in my guns. The 223 did reach out farther and of course more powerful.

I won't ever sell my 22mag, it's just too accurate to let it go. Didn't have to build a round to find it accurate, just bought them off the store shelves. Handy rifle.

I am sure the .22 WMR has its 'place' and many report about good accuracy and results with the ones they have but if one reloads I think that 'rules out' the want (or need for) for some.

I bought exactly one box of .22 WMR in my life - just to try it out in my 'convertible' Colt New Frontier .22 SA revolver. I remember accuracy not being as good as LR ammo so I shot most of it up and that was that. I think I still have a couple rounds from that original box rolling around in a can of 'obsolete' ammo I have!

I am sure the .22 WMR has its 'place' and many report about good accuracy and results with the ones they have but if one reloads I think that 'rules out' the want (or need for) for some.

I bought exactly one box of .22 WMR in my life - just to try it out in my 'convertible' Colt New Frontier .22 SA revolver. I remember accuracy not being as good as LR ammo so I shot most of it up and that was that. I think I still have a couple rounds from that original box rolling around in a can of 'obsolete' ammo I have!
Yeah - for a pistol, to get that sweet spot between .22 LR and .223, I have my FN Five Seven, and I have a threaded barrel for it if I ever get a suppressor. And the 5.7x28 does as well out of a Five Seven pistol as the .22 WMR does out of a rifle, and certainly better than the .22 WMR does out of a revolver. IIRC, I have 11K+ of various 5.7 ammo that I bought at 30-40 CPR (before the panic), so I am good there. If someone would just make a 5.7 bolt action, then I wouldn't even be discussing this because I would be covered.

I suppose I could put a scope on my PS90. This guy seemed to get decent results:

Your experience with the convertible Colt is unusual, in that convertible revolvers (Ruger and Colt included) are bored for the larger diameter bullet of the Magnum, and rely on "bump up" (rear of bullet smashed by ignition pressure) for Long Rifle projectiles to grab the lands. It's kind of a necessary compromise.
Most convertibles (i have a Single Six and a Peacemaker) shoot more accurately with the Magnum cartridge. I'd strongly suggest a try with a different loading than your first, before writing off the WMR entirely.

"Loading down" a .223 to WMR performance is certainly possible, but that is quite a step down and I believe accuracy would be forfeited. The Hornet makes more sense for that strategy, and loading it to WMR levels does not result in an auditorium of open space in the case, which can easily cause inconsistency.

Your experience with the convertible Colt is unusual, in that convertible revolvers (Ruger and Colt included) are bored for the larger diameter bullet of the Magnum, and rely on "bump up" (rear of bullet smashed by ignition pressure) for Long Rifle projectiles to grab the lands. It's kind of a necessary compromise.
Most convertibles (i have a Single Six and a Peacemaker) shoot more accurately with the Magnum cartridge. I'd strongly suggest a try with a different loading than your first, before writing off the WMR entirely.

"Loading down" a .223 to WMR performance is certainly possible, but that is quite a step down and I believe accuracy would be forfeited. The Hornet makes more sense for that strategy, and loading it to WMR levels does not result in an auditorium of open space in the case, which can easily cause inconsistency.
It has been a while since I played with reduced loads, but I used H110 with dacron on top to get the 1K fps loads from .308 with cast/GC bullets with decent results. The intention was to use these for small game - the same as I would use downloaded .223 for.

I love 22wmr, but as the cost kept rising, I ditched the caliber for plinking. There's no doubt about it's potency. I've personally witnessed large game drop dead from a neck shot with .22 mag.

As I just was using it for fun, I sold the gun once I started reloading .357 for less per round. In a survival setting, .22mag is a serious contender.

If one already owns 22LR I can see how it would be less appealing to buy a 22WMR. I always wished my LR was a WMR but its just not enough of a performance bump to make it worth actually switching.

If one already owns 22LR I can see how it would be less appealing to buy a 22WMR. I always wished my LR was a WMR but its just not enough of a performance bump to make it worth actually switching.
I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Ya dunno what yer missin'! :D

In my experiences with the .22WMR...its best when used from a rifle.
Said rifles are at times a bit lighter , and less bulky than many .223 rifles.
Yes , that is broad , general statement ...one can find examples of either rifles that don't fit what I wrote.

Something to consider is that in some places it is illegal to use centerfire rifles for hunting.
A .22WMR can make for a dandy varmint rifle or small game rifle in those areas.
Andy

I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Ya dunno what yer missin'! :D
Most likely I dont.... not that I wouldnt mind a new caliber mind you.
I think if I had the time to varmint hunt more Id have a 22WMR but my 22LR has met that need the very few times I get out. Id like to actually rabbit hunt more but don't know where to go thats reasonably close to home.

This reminds me! I need get out a scout a couple places not far from home to evaluate the rabbit population!
if I lived east of the cascades I would make rabbits an effort, but out here in the coast range I see maybe 1 rabbit in two years average. I know an area thats ok for grouse but even them are sparse. For varmints I have to be confident I will come home with some to make the drive worth it.

As far as 22wmr shooting goes coming out of various RUGER s/a revolvers... they ARE pretty accurate as the one lady said on here!

I may NOT have shot them (The 22wmr cylinders.) a LOT as I already stated and I already had LOTS of 22lr stock on hand but it is a tack driving round out of RUGER s/a revolvers.

I never owned a COLT firearm in my life so I can't speak for them.

I never considered a 22wmr round of ammunition not being accurate enough out of a handgun or a rifle too.

I saw that IT was an accurate round out of my former s/a revolvers, my former lever action rifle and out of a CZ rifle when it came to my own shooting.

Plus I saw my MT husband and other people shoot that cartridge out of their handguns - s/a revolvers and rifles.

IT is a pretty good cartridge if you ask me!

Your mileage may vary. NO problem!

Cate

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top