JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Man, I usually post from a tablet and the dammed thing thinks it's smarter than I am all the time when it comes to spelling..well maybe it is :oops:. I always have to go back and read my posts before I post them or I get words like imp hat that show up instead of emphatic

Man, I usually post from a tablet and the dammed thing thinks it's smarter than I am all the time when it comes to spelling..well maybe it is :oops:. I always have to go back and read my posts before I post them or I get words like imp hat that show up instead of emphatic
I get it now ......emphatically fantastic.

:)

If you're looking for plinking loads, 55gr fmj usually give you the best bang for the buck. Lots of powders out there will do the job. I'd look to a spherical powder for ease of measuring. TAC, H335 and several others may fit the bill.

Your 1:7 twist will stabilize up to an 80gr bullet, but you're going to incur more cost associated with the heavier bullets as many will be match grade, especially the 69, 75, 77 and 80gr variety. Additionally, the 80gr pills will not fit in a magazine. Therefore, the 77s are as high as I'd venture to go in a magazine fed carbine rifle.

Again, 55s will be the cheapest, and the 1:7 will have no problem stabilizing those bullets. Eventually though, you might want to load for accuracy. At that point, you might gain pleasure from loading and testing the better made bullets which cost a little bit more, but are capable of smaller groups. These bullets can also be had in 55gr, but also go up as mentioned earlier.

Have fun, be safe, and be sure to ask any questions you might have along the way. Lots of helpful people here to guide you along the way. :)

If you like bargains, and can afford to buy in bulk, check wideners.com on Thursdays for their reloading specials of the week. They usually offer a really good deal on a 1000 pack of Speer .22 cal. bullets. This week they have the Speer 52 gr hollow points for $74.00 for a bulk pack of 1,000. Try to find quality accurate bullets for $7.40 per 100 plus shipping.
There are lots of different powders that work well in the .223. My preference is Ramshot Tac, but I have gotten very good results from many others including Accurate 2015, 2230, 2200, 2460, H-335, IMR-8028XBR and others. While many people use a lot of 55 gr FMJ bullets, I have never found any to be near as accurate as better quality more expensive bullets. And if I am investing the powder primers and time for case prep, I want the best accuracy and performance I can get. If all you are doing is mag dumps and are happy with minute of pie plate at 50 yards, it is easier and cheaper to buy bulk ammo. The cheapest bulk bullets I buy are the Hornady 55 gr spire points with Cannelure. I can always find them for less than $10 per hundred, and at Widener's, I have bought Speer 55 gr spitzers for $69.00 for 1000. They aren't as accurate as Nosler Ballistic Tips or Varmageddons, or Hornady V-MAX or Z-Max, but they do outperform any FMJ bullet I have tried.

NE Reloading has 55gr FMJ and SP's for around $77/1000 shipped
Their FMJ and Soft Points run the same price, I opt for sp's since they can be used for varmint hunting as well.

CFE 223: 26.2gr ($28/lb)
2.200" OAL
CCI 400 ($30/1000)
Trim brass to 1.750"
Light crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp Die

$.077
$.03
$.105
Total Cost: $.212 per round (assuming you have brass)

All data is within specs from a book. True accuracy will come from customizing your load to your rifle with trial and error. Lots of trial, but that's the fun part right?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top