JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been doing 9mm and .45 acp but would like to start reloading all the 223 brass I have around.all my rifles and are 1:7 twist with 16inch barrel with a carbine length gas tube.well except one but it won't be used with this ammo.but they all run everything just I've ever put in them just fine.so I was just wondering what a good powder,primer and bullet weight was good to start with for what I have.not looking to make any match grade ammo just plink stuff.

If it were ME, I'd look to the bookS I have to get a feel for what powders/projectiles/primer/ THEY use to get the results they got. Load up a few and if you have issues after that then come to the forum members for help if needed. Any recipes you get from people here really need to be verified through the written sources anyway.

Though I have great respect for the members here, I'm not taking anyone's load data and using it without it being verified.

I didn't ask for there loads,just asked what a good starting point is,I looked in books and they were using 20+ inch barrels so I don't feel like that's a good starting point since I'm using 16 inch barrels with carbine length gas tubes.i just want to know what powders and bullet weights people have had good luck with thru there similar ars

7 twist will stabilize whatever you want, but for plinking 55gr bullets are common and often there are deals on 55gr.
If you do a quick search on "favorite 223 load" you'll see the same powders at the top of the list, however quite a nice selection of powders work well in 223.

The newest powder I think is CFE223 (Copper Fouling Eraser) and you will see H335 and Varget used a lot in 223.
But there are several others that work well, too.
CCI primers are good because the have a thicker cup which makes them arguably safer for home reloading.

Last Edited:
Ditto on what DD wrote. Buy the brand of bullets that you have books for at the best price you can find them. From what I have read, 1/7 twist likes lighter bullets so 52gr or 55gr would probably be the most readily available. I like 4891 if you have loads listed for it, but you will find lots of recommendations here. For plinking, the powder you buy doesn't really matter. Use what you can find at a good price for the loads in your books.

Good point by bbbass on plinking powder and finding deals on powder.
Ideally I would want a powder that produces acceptable pressures while mostly filling the case, although not necessarily a compacted charge.
Not a fan of half full powder charges.

A few years ago I took 2 pounds of IMR 3031 in on a trade just for the chance that I would get into reloading at a later date. Well last year I got bit by the bug and have incorporated said traided powder into my favorite 223 loads. I use cheaper powder with 55g for plinking but 3031 shines with Hornady 60g SP bullets.

Many are not accepting of extruded powders like the 3031 because they do not throw precision weights (use a trickler) or that they are slightly compressed loads (tap the case lightly after charging to get the powder to settle) .

It's really hard to beat H335 as a starting powder... I've never heard someone say they were unsuccessful with it, it is my go to. I have several .5 MOA and under loads cooked up with it.
As others have said, 55gr is a really good starting bullet weight.
And I would say CCI 400s are a good starting primer.
All of these components are readily available in most places, and will more than likely yield good results if you do your part.

23-25 grains of just about most powders out there for 223 will throw a 55 grain fmj out of your set up just fine.

I like the spherical powder best. Stuff like varget tends to get caught up in a meter so I stopped using those types a while ago.

My go to is 24 grains 2230 with a 55 grain fmj.

My 1\7 twist ARs like the heavier 62-75 grain bullets. 2230 or Varget and others have worked well. The 69 grain Sierra bthp has been the most accurate bullet I've tried so far . Have fun.

It's surprising how many powders do double duty and are perfectly suitable for both the .223 and .308 for example. I've got 3-4 super common powders that do just that.. for that exact reason. I don't really buy boutique specialty powders.

It's surprising how many powders do double duty and are perfectly suitable for both the .223 and .308 for example. I've got 3-4 super common powders that do just that.. for that exact reason. I don't really buy boutique specialty powders.
If you can do it without half-full charges and/or dirty/sooty loads, then that's a good way to economize.

Wow, infactic statements to use xyz powders..
There are many powders available for the 223 caliber loads.
Ramshot, Accurate, Hodgon, and virtually all the companies make Nice performance powders.
If your trying to squeeze every last fps, and bang, good luck.
Many powders use close to the the same case fill levels.

Reloading powders should meter well in your powder measure, and if using progressive loaders, you will find the small spherical and or small flatten ball powders give a more uniform volumetric load.

Bullet choice is another ball game, your costs no problem, then there are lots of fine precision bullets available. If loading for plinking and shooting the bulk bullets do fine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top