JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey Y'all
I agree with most of what's been written previously. I only ream crimped cases but to make sure that it's done lightly and evenly, I have a little benchtop drill press for my reamer. I clean my brass chemically but to insure that the primer pockets are clean, I use a Dremel-look-alike from Harbor, with a Dremel wire end- brush in the chuck. A quick dip of the rotating brush into the pocket and it's shiny clean. I almost never have problems seating the primers.

I have the RCBS primer crimp removal tool and I use that in conjunction with the appropriate size pocket cleaning brush, I have not had a need to remove any material from the pocket itself. That being said, I dont reload my .223 brass more than a handful of times, so perhaps that's a factor.

I use a go/no go gauge on my .223 primer pockets. This gives me some piece of mind when loading a batch of rounds that may potentially not get used for a long time. I just purchased the same Hornady tool to remove military crimps and intend to use it in my Franklin Armory case prep center. In the past I used a Dillon swager but sold it. I purchased the gauge from BALLISTIC TOOLS 540-685-1009. They sell a pack that also includes a neck tension tool.
Ive usrd the champfer tool chucked up in my drill press and have never went back to swagers. Im doing 600 per hour taking a 1 minute break every 10 minutes. After doing so many you get the feel for it and you wont get cases that refuse to accept primers. Im loading with hornady lnl auto press with case feeder at the rate of 500 per hour. Ive installed a air hose blowing constant wind to keep dirt off the rotating assy and rarely have to stop for clean up.

Never used any of these fancy tools made for removing the crimp on primer pockets. All I ever used is a small 1/2" countersink in my battery drive drill to touch the pockets and remove the crimp. About $5-$6 at any hardware store.

bosch-countersink-bits-cst1-64_1000.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top