JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if you have a 5.56, pick a caliber and shoot it.

When you become a marksman (woman), you'll end up reloading anyway for accuracy.

$.02

/end thread

if you have a 5.56, pick a caliber and shoot it.

When you become a marksman (woman), you'll end up reloading anyway for accuracy.

$.02

/end thread

Out of curiosity, is there a consensus on the most accurate cartridge for the AR15 platform? There are definitely a few that have better long range ballistics, but don't know about accuracy.

Out of curiosity, is there a consensus on the most accurate cartridge for the AR15 platform? There are definitely a few that have better long range ballistics, but don't know about accuracy.
I know that XM855 is known for being less accurate... what with the inconsistency in where the steel core rests.

I have a standard Honda Civic and I want the most performance driven tires for the car.

Well sir, your Honda is not a performance car, I suggest getting a run of the mill tire for the best mileage. Now your Z06, let's talk tires.

Same with the ammo.

They all will shoot about 2MOA in a non-dialed in/tuned rifle. Why bother with foie gras when ramen will do for this situation?

because... when it comes to real accuracy, off the shelf ammo can only go so far. Once you start really reloading to that rifle, then we get into accuracy.

Everything else is MON (Minute of Man). I don't apologize if this ruffles anyones feathers. It should. I know I have a bulk load developed for my rifles that will shoot sub MOA but sometimes I go buy the cheapest .223/5.56 just so I don't have to think about reloading anything. Yes, I don't have issues shooting steel cased. I won't put enough ammo through the rifle to ruin it.

Last Edited:
@Yvette... here's a test I ran with a couple of friends to see what my AR liked (see below link). As many have indicated, each rifle will perform differently with different ammo.

I've been stocking up on Fiocchi based on these results FOR ME.

I have a standard Honda Civic and I want the most performance driven tires for the car.

Well sir, your Honda is not a performance car, I suggest getting a run of the mill tire for the best mileage. Now your Z06, let's talk tires.

Same with the ammo.

They all will shoot about 2MOA in a non-dialed in/tuned rifle. Why bother with foie gras when ramen will do for this situation?

because... when it comes to real accuracy, off the shelf ammo can only go so far. Once you start really reloading to that rifle, then we get into accuracy.

Everything else is MON (Minute of Man). I don't apologize if this ruffles anyones feathers. It should. I know I have a bulk load developed for my rifles that will shoot sub MOA but sometimes I go buy the cheapest .223/5.56 just so I don't have to think about reloading anything. Yes, I don't have issues shooting steel cased. I won't put enough ammo through the rifle to ruin it.

I was thinking along the lines of cartridges like 5.56 va 6.5 Grendel va 6.5 SPC vs etc.. Just curious and not a real concern. Definitely for best accuracy you need to develop specific loads for individual rifles.

It all depends on the type of shooting you do. I don't get retentive about my groups as long as I can hit a pie plate at 200 yards. If I had a 45-70 or 45-90 sharps then I would handload and keep detailed notes for 500 yard shots. If people enjoy doing that for their AR range days then more power to them.

I wajus thinking along the lines of cartridges like 5.56 va 6.5 Grendel va 6.5 SPC vs etc.. Just curious and not a real concern. Definitely for best accuracy you need to develop specific loads for individual rifles.

I've dabbled in F class a little bit and have been stomped by guys shooting. 5.56/.223 ARs barely over half MOA. 300-600yds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top