JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Best bang for the buck that I have found (pun intended).

I typically don't give Coo Coo LaRue my business, with that said, this is indeed "best bang for the buck" trigger out there at this point in time. My go-to budget trigger are ALG ACT, BCM PNT and SIONICS EMST with the SIONICS getting nod because the use Np3 over Nickle Boron, they run about $60.

M193 Federal American Eagle
It's cheap, feeds well in my rifle, and is accurate for what I do with it.
The XM855 is fine, but tears the crap out of targets and sometimes isn't as accurate due to the steel being off centered.

I think we have the same rifle, so maybe that will help.

PS .223 would not feed in mine for the first few hundred rounds.

I will be trying federal am eagle 223 and Hornady 223 I'm researching and still looking for a 556 round so I can experience the difference between the two. then for pistol I usually do blazer brass 9mm at a higher grain. I'm trying the lower grain to see if it might recoil less.

Don't listen to people who say you can't shoot 5.56 in your .223 chamber. It's hyperbolic fuddery.
Secondly, You're going to need to shoot hundreds of rounds of several brands and bullet weights to find what works best in your rifle with whatever twist rate it is. Due to dozens of variables, no ONE ammo is superior to all others. You wont see much difference between a .223 and a 5.56, Your rifle will eventually perform better (possibly only marginally) with some ammo over others. Don't expect to be stacking ragged holes or even clover-leafing with cheap ammo. Its meant to train with. AR's can be accurate but they're not surgical instruments. Manage your expectations- You, the shooter will be the most limiting factor in accuracy, not your ammo.
Thirdly- A lower weight pistol bullet wont net you less recoil. If anything, lighter bullet weights are often snappier.

If you're looking for cheap plinking ammo, Wolf GOLD can be had cheap by the case and is good practice ammo.

avg-chamber-pressure1.png

I will be trying federal am eagle 223 and Hornady 223 I'm researching and still looking for a 556 round so I can experience the difference between the two. then for pistol I usually do blazer brass 9mm at a higher grain. I'm trying the lower grain to see if it might recoil less.
Yvette, if you want to talk to a real person about ar's, i suggest going to washugal. They have an awesome ar shop there. I can't remember the name, but they are right on main street. My next suggestion is to join a small club. Where there are a few people there that can help you. I belong to a club like that. Ill be heading there in a few to do a hunting rifle shoot. We have a female member there that is an extraordinary shot with both pistols and rifles. I know she would be happy to help, as would any of us there. Im also new to ar's, but i do know you are on the right track with your ammo search. I handload everything, so im lucky i guess. Good luck with your venture.

Last Edited:
Im fairly new to the AR platform but what Ive observed is there are more premium commercial loads for the 223 than the 556. If I wanted to achieve good precision shooting I would look for a quality 223 round and stick with that one single load for sighting in and whatever primary use the rifle is intended for and save everything else for the fun of plinking.

Agree on a good trigger, I have an ALG Defense ACT trigger that is, so smooth and nice.

The wife and I got the 22lr cmmg drop in kit and shoot mostly that with a few milsurp rounds in between to keep the buildup from occuring around the gas port.

Then I reload the rounds. (The milsurp stuff)

Fun little conversion, and saves money on ammo and plinking. :)

I have upgraded the scope, just haven't changed it out yet. you're right the scope on it now is perfect at 100 yds w/ good groupings.
What trigger would you recommend and why?

My favorite single stage trigger is the ALG ACT. This is a mil spec trigger that is very, very smooth and crisp and comes with two different springs to adjust the trigger pull. It's a huge value. The "G" in ALG is Geissele - it's Mrs. Geissele's company.

I like the Geissele SSA-E for two stage triggers. There was one up for sale in the NWFA classifieds not long ago but it's gone. If you wait for Black Friday they always have them at a steep discount.Two stage triggers are almost likek cheating for target practice.

There are lots of nice "drop in" triggers as well like the Chip McCormack. Easier to install since it's one unit so you don't need to worry about getting a spring installed backwards.

My favorite single stage trigger is the ALG ACT. This is a mil spec trigger that is very, very smooth and crisp and comes with two different springs to adjust the trigger pull. It's a huge value. The "G" in ALG is Geissele - it's Mrs. Geissele's company.

I like the Geissele SSA-E for two stage triggers. There was one up for sale in the NWFA classifieds not long ago but it's gone. If you wait for Black Friday they always have them at a steep discount.Two stage triggers are almost likek cheating for target practice.

There are lots of nice "drop in" triggers as well like the Chip McCormack. Easier to install since it's one unit so you don't need to worry about getting a spring installed backwards.

I haven't fired enough rifles to understand the difference it would make. I hope to build my own AR at some point once I learn about what I like and don't like.

Xm193 prints about the same as my sd ammo at 200yds, but with a larger group, so that's what I use to practice with.

My logic was pick ammo I like for sd/hunting, and practice a lot with cheep ammo that I don't have to adjust my red dot for.

Works for me!

Triggers that differ from "mil-spec" have slightly different qualities and features about them that make them better. Some will have a Nickel Boron and/or an NP3 treatment on the metal. This gives the metal a very slick and smoother surface for the contact points to operate on. Some will have slightly different geometry where as the trigger pivots on it's pin. Different angles for the sear contact points are other options. The BCM and the ALG triggers are great triggers for the money. They break clean and crisply, without overly heavy pull weights that have a gritty feel to them. The Geissele triggers mentioned above are excellent, but usually more than many people are willing to spend unless they are very serious target shooter, hunters, or those that use their firearms for other professional ventures/work.
The other type that drop in as a unit are also excellent. POF and CNC triggers are some of the best out there and can usually be had for less than $140 new...even cheaper if you keep on eye out for them in the used Classifieds.
One word of advice...stay away from triggers that have adjustment set-screws in them. I have found they loosen , no matter what one has done to prevent it, as the most inopportune time. A well constructed trigger will be more consistent and reliable for you.

Last Edited:
I haven't fired enough rifles to understand the difference it would make. I hope to build my own AR at some point once I learn about what I like and don't like.

It depends on how good your stock trigger is. The one that came on my Ruger was really good for a standard AR trigger, but the ACT I put on it is comparable to a really good bolt action rifle. A two stage trigger has a weaker first stage which "stops" at a slightly firmer second stage. This allows for less force when you finish pulling the trigger without having to have a hair trigger single stage.

The SSA-E was designed for and is used in combat - what is nice is that it works well as a precision two stage trigger, but still really good when you need to shoot more quickly as well. I have one on my AR308 since it's more suited to longer ranges than my AR-15's. Cost is the only reason I don't use the SSA-E on all my AR rifles. There are dedicated two stage target triggers as well, but not something you would necessarily want for self defense.

Most shooters, regardless of skill, will shoot better with a better trigger.

Do build your own AR at some point! You will understand your rifle inside and aut as well as be able to do all your own maintenance. There is a great amount of genius in the AR design with several parts serving more than one purpose.

Last Edited:

a lot of this depends on what you want out of the rifle. Is this a hunting rifle, a target rifle, just for fun plinking rifle...
You dont need to go fire a dozen, different, rifles IMO. You just need to determine what you want out of yours and if your not getting that then improve your skill or components to achieve that. The hard part is figuring out if its your skill vs. the rifle build. Personally, with a scope I would expect 1MOA from 1 preferred brand of ammo. If your not getting that then its time to start asking questions like if you need a bench rest, better trigger control (skill) or if you need a new component like a trigger.

How does one know they outshoot their current equipment?

It's a loaded statment. 99.99% of people will never out shoot or even wear out their equipment. Not saying ALG triggers aren't good- all my AR's have them, but 10k rounds through a rifle will smooth a milspec trigger real nicely. I'm trying to inform the OP that spending heaps of money on gear because you think it'll make you shoot better is feel-good nonsense. Its like working out, you gotta put in the reps to get somewhere. It's also like sports. Slapping on some Jordans isn't going to make you able to cross up Lebron and shatter his ankles.

It's a loaded statment. 99.99% of people will never out shoot or even wear out their equipment. Not saying ALG triggers aren't good- all my AR's have them, but 10k rounds through a rifle will smooth a milspec trigger real nicely. I'm trying to inform the OP that spending heaps of money on gear because you think it'll make you shoot better is feel-good nonsense. Its like working out, you gotta put in the reps to get somewhere. It's also like sports. Slapping on some Jordans isn't going to make you able to cross up Lebron and shatter his ankles.
Its not an easy answer I agree.
But I can say I shoot better with a nicer trigger. and it took me lots of money wasted on ammo to figure it out. Same for other upgrades to my rifles. I would hate to encourage someone to spend hundreds of dollars on ammo to learn the rifle could be improved or otherwise isnt gonna get any better than it is.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top