JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You're (accurately) shooting 77gr 22cal SMKs to 1100-yards and 175gr 30cal SMKs out to 1760-yards (a mile)?
Yes I is.
Wind is the tricky part, not really as difficult as you would think otherwise. Have a couple different ranges we shoot at. The nicest is a friend who's range has 12"X12"X2" plates every 100 yards, out to 1400.
The mile deal started because I got tired of listening to the coyotes taunting me :) farm shop to the neighboring CRP field, are on opposing section lines. That CRP line is where the den was.

Last Edited:
.308 It hits way harder, you can hunt with it, more accurate out at long distances, can go sub-sonic, and is more fun to shoot at the range. Plus it feeds other fun guns such as the M1A and the HK 91

If my theory is wrong, why is that Todd Hodnett From Accuracy 1st said if you have a QD mount, and he recommends Larue tactical. That with a .308 rifle (don't think it would change if it was a .223 at all) you can pull your scope from one rifle to the next and the only thing you might have to change is your hold over.. I listen to the professionals. The comment I am talking about is in Magpul Dynamics™ The Art of the Precision Rifle video set which you can buy. He takes the 5 guys from Magpul out including Travis Haley and Chris Costa out and shoots from 100 yards to out past a mile with a .300 win-mag and .308's. Travis even takes a Larue Tactical OBR 7.62 and makes the shot at over a mile the same as the bolt guys.. Pretty impressive.

OK "IF" they are doing all this long range stuff and not changing the scopes too much,it's because they have lots of money and have a gunsmith center the rails to match the scope and guns.
I would truly doubt they are just taking the quick disconnect mount off one gun and shooting the next perfect....without some editing of the video,lol

i had to make the same decision recently and went with 223

1) accuracy of 223 is perfectly adequate to distances i ever plan to shoot.
2) MUCH cheaper commercial match ammo.
3) MUCH cheaper reloading costs. bullets, brass, primers, powder.
4) you can easily use free recoil technique.

i dont plan to hunt with it and i dont plan to shoot 1000 yards with it. easy decision to go 223.

If my theory is wrong, why is that Todd Hodnett From Accuracy 1st said if you have a QD mount, and he recommends Larue tactical. That with a .308 rifle (don't think it would change if it was a .223 at all) you can pull your scope from one rifle to the next and the only thing you might have to change is your hold over.. I listen to the professionals. The comment I am talking about is in Magpul Dynamics™ The Art of the Precision Rifle video set which you can buy. He takes the 5 guys from Magpul out including Travis Haley and Chris Costa out and shoots from 100 yards to out past a mile with a .300 win-mag and .308's. Travis even takes a Larue Tactical OBR 7.62 and makes the shot at over a mile the same as the bolt guys.. Pretty impressive.
Well... what caliber do the experts tell you to get?
I'd personally get the .308 if I was getting a bolt gun. I have not noticed much price difference in quality commercial ammo. So much more power and range for not alot (or any) more money sounds like a no brainer to me. If the cost between the two is a nail in a coffin I'd rethink priorities or employment choices. If you currently reload ammo I'm sure the .223 could be much cheaper. I am no expert and have no names to drop but I did stay at a holiday inn express once.

I have actually gone with the .223 because of price, I don't do much long range shooting that would require a .308.. and around the valley i'm not sure of any good places to go that would get close to the 700yd - 1400yd's that would make the .308 shine above and beyond the .223. I do appreciate everyone's advice in this, I actually found the 700 SPS Tactical in the 16.5in barrel with the suppressor threads the other day. when searching for it there was only two of them available online that I could see. I guess they stopped making that model in the .223 back around may of this year or so. So I am having a company out of California ship one up for me because they had one in stock.

For me, its simple. There was room in the safe...actually, I got the .308 first, a rebarrelled 70 year old M1. Old girl has never disappointed me. Sure, the AR is cheaper to shoot, and since I have a 100 yd range at the house, I tend to shoot it a lot. So, to be practical, I suppose you could choose one over the other. However, I have to ask, why would you?

both what? ar and bolt action? or two .223 rifles? if money would have it.. I would have both in the safe.. marriage coming up.. cant have both.. .308 and .223

Dump the marriage ideas and add a .308 !!!

You made a good choice with the .223 because that was where your heart is, probaly true of the marriage too. Sad for some lonely .308....

Lol, I am sure someone else with more money or thoughts of a .308 will gladly pick up all the ones I saw everywhere else :) 6 years dating my future wife.. I hope my hearts in the right spot :) Hahah

I'd honestly not go with 223 or 308 in a bolt gun. There are so many rounds that are out there that just perform so much better than those rounds. In a remi, I'd get the 260 Remington, or buy the 308 and rebarrell to the 260. In a semi like an AR, that would be a different story.

.223 and.308 are available most anywhere should you be separated from your reloading equipment. .260 Remington and .300 Winchester Magnum not so much.

Unless you are hunting larger game The 223/5.56 ammo or reloading it yourself cost half of what a 308 costs. Lower cost = more shooting. The 300 mags suffer from extreme low barrel life. Also,,, I haven't done the math but a 338 Lapua may cost less over all due to a substantially longer barrel life?

the reloading costs is definately something im looking at, I have a RCBS Rockchucker and also a Dillion 550b, so reloading is not an issue, but man.. shooting .338 is like throwing straight gold into the trash... almost better to get a .50 bmg if your shooting .338 :) lol.

^^This

Beyond 500m 308 bolt gun

And this is the exact reason I ended up actually buying the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD in .223, found a dealer out of Cali that would ship it up here to albany and better yet he price matched another website that had it in stock, got it for $624 after shipping. Now I just need to take it out to the range and break it in.. Such a sexy small rifle with the 16.5" barrel on it. Oh and it has the 1/2 - 28 threads so anything that goes infront of my AR will be able to swap back and forth..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top