JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK guys, I have my heart set on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical.. now.. the question is.. .223/5.56 or .308... I am not big into hunting but wouldnt mind taking it with me if I did go. I have an AR and plan on reloading for this bolt gun. Its the same price for the rifle if its .223 or .308.. I just want to know is it worth adding another caliber to the collection or just keep with a caliber I have to use the same ammo if I want to.

*edit* I should also say I have a nikon 4-16x M-223 scope that is sitting in a Larue tactical QD and would be perfect if I could just pick the scope up and move it between rifles.

Remington_700_SPS_Tactical_AAC-SD_091.jpg

Remington_700_SPS_Tactical_AAC-SD_091.jpg

Another .223 vs .308 debate. As I've stated before, I'd have one of each. But for round cost/weight/portability I always vote .223. Effective to 500 and accurate. But yet....I'm longing to add a .308 to my collection. Ballistics-wise? Duh.

My next build WILL be a .223 with bolt action, heavy barrel and good glass. ONLY because I have the ammo to shoot it and not feel guilty.

honestly.. probably under 500 yards, I would always love to say I want to shoot farther but if I hit it would probably be more dumb luck that anything else at my current skill level, never had a gun that could do over 500 yards constantly.

honestly.. probably under 500 yards, I would always love to say I want to shoot farther but if I hit it would probably be more dumb luck that anything else at my current skill level, never had a gun that could do over 500 yards constantly.

.308, it will grow with you. If you are shooting a lot you will get better and you will shoot longer distances.

For under 500 yards, I'm going to throw you a curveball and vote for an A4 or A2 AR instead of either. Either one of these rifles will shoot just as far as the SPS, you'll have a 223/5.56 platform, you can use your optics, increased ammo capacity and it will train you to become a better distance shooter.

Have done a little work with the 77gr SMK to 1100 in the 223. The 77 does well, but trans-sonic can get a bit dodgy. The 175gr SMK in the 308 will cross the threshold with zero fuss. I have recently gotten to the point of 5-shot moa at The big 1760!!

Point being, what are you REALLY interested in? If just fooling around, and plinking on the cheap is your game, stick with the 223. If you want something that you can either hunt, our grow your distance skill; take the 308.

Have done a little work with the 77gr SMK to 1100 in the 223. The 77 does well, but trans-sonic can get a bit dodgy. The 175gr SMK in the 308 will cross the threshold with zero fuss. I have recently gotten to the point of 5-shot moa at The big 1760!!

Point being, what are you REALLY interested in? If just fooling around, and plinking on the cheap is your game, stick with the 223. If you want something that you can either hunt, our grow your distance skill; take the 308.
You're (accurately) shooting 77gr 22cal SMKs to 1100-yards and 175gr 30cal SMKs out to 1760-yards (a mile)?

For years I have talked about setting up a good bolt action .223 but could never come up with a good reason why since I own a "target" AR. I have a Bushmaster Varminiter which has the heavy 24" barrel and quality optics on it. The furthest I have had a chance to shoot it is out to 700 yards, which is not a problem.

I also own a Remington 700P LTR in .308, I hardly ever shoot it.

DSC06840.jpg [/URL]

For years I have talked about setting up a good bolt action .223 but could never come up with a good reason why since I own a "target" AR. I have a Bushmaster Varminiter which has the heavy 24" barrel and quality optics on it. The furthest I have had a chance to shoot it is out to 700 yards, which is not a problem.

DSC06840.jpg [/URL]

Nice....that's what I'm talking about!
What suppressors are you using?

Nice....that's what I'm talking about!
What suppressors are you using?

Thanks.

It is an AWC Thundertrap .30 cal. It is not a bad can, but if I knew then what I know now I would have looked at a lighter option. I have had my eye on a Gemtech Quicksand but have not been able to justify the cost yet. The AWC it built like a brick, but also feels like a brick. This set up is too heavy for any practical freehand shooting.

See and that's what I am thinking that if I keep it .223 its going to be cheaper which will definitely make me want to shoot more, and answer Nutty4Guns I would theoretically only have to change the top turret to match the change in center of scope to center of bore change between the bolt action and my AR, I have a Del-Ton 16" barreled AR but the barrel is not free-floated and im not terribly happy with its long distance, its great for nutria and short distance like coyotes but I don't think it has the right setup for much past 200yds. Where as the SPS has a fully floated barrel, is the short barrel so its nice and stiff, comes pre-threaded (same as ar) and just need to get the picaninny rail to go on top of the SPS then I can swap my scope that is already good to go and I dont have to drop another 500+ on another scope for a .308

Drop the idea of swapping the scope between guns. It physically does not work. You will have to adjust it every time you switch guns. Your "theory" does not work, that is why it is not done.

If my theory is wrong, why is that Todd Hodnett From Accuracy 1st said if you have a QD mount, and he recommends Larue tactical. That with a .308 rifle (don't think it would change if it was a .223 at all) you can pull your scope from one rifle to the next and the only thing you might have to change is your hold over.. I listen to the professionals. The comment I am talking about is in Magpul Dynamics™ The Art of the Precision Rifle video set which you can buy. He takes the 5 guys from Magpul out including Travis Haley and Chris Costa out and shoots from 100 yards to out past a mile with a .300 win-mag and .308's. Travis even takes a Larue Tactical OBR 7.62 and makes the shot at over a mile the same as the bolt guys.. Pretty impressive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top