Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

223 Neck Tension

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by sleepygreen, Dec 12, 2014.

1. sleepygreen

sleepygreen Moses Lake Member

I'm just getting to know my press with dillon carbide sizing die including the sizing ball. I was setting bullet seating depth and tried to test neck tension by pushing the bullet into my workbench. I was able to push the bullet into the case. I was concerned that this would be too little tension because I didn't expect to be able to move the bullet at all. However I compared the force (by feel) to a factory federal round and was able to move that bullet as well. I have around 0.002" interference fit between bullet and casing. Is this okay to use in my ar15 or should I resize the cases without the neck sizing ball? I feel like I shouldn't have to do that. All brass is once fired lake city.

2. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Sleepy, not sure how others do it but I use a factory crimp die as my last step. I tried pushing on one of my reloads and can't move the bullet. A factory does move.

3. sleepygreen

sleepygreen Moses Lake Member

When people say they cant "push it in with their fingers" does that include palm against the bullet? I have heard 35lbs of force should be required. I could try this against a piece of wood an a bathroom scale.

4. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

+1 on the lee FCD, frankly it's one of the few products lee really got right.

I actually use a gauge for this, my pressure is 45lbs min, 60lbs max.

5. JustShoot

JustShoot Oregon . Hillsborito area Active Member

-
    It's almost if not the perfect Crimp design Die . Also a big fan of the, Lee Collet crimp Die . That Collet squeeze design is the one I love best for Crimp pistol & rifle .

The Die by itself It is So Much Better quality crimp, than using the usual (one does all) Seat & Crimp combo Die . where the Case Mouth just slides up into a floating tapper sleeve on the cam-over when Seating .
    When doing large volume of crimping . you can even get a feel for variations of thick & thin Neck wall in Brass when you leaver Cam-over at the end of the stroke .