JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Dillon bench swager is kinda've a steaming pile... RCBS makes a primer pocket swaging tool that uses a die that has a spacing mandrel in it, and a shell holder that has either a large/small pocket swage tool on it, with an extractor collar. .

Different strokes I guess. I find the RCBS tool to be in the category you used to describe the Dillon Super Swage. I have both. The RCBS is gathering rust while I use the Dillon almost weekly. I process both 5.56mm and 7.62 Nato with mine. The only issue I have after 10's of thousands of rounds processed with it is that it takes almost 5 minutes to change from large to small primer pockets or vice versa. Mine is almost 10 years old and still operating with the same punches.

The last time I used my RCBS was to swage 10 pieces of 7.62 Hornady Match brass because I didn't want to change the super swage over for just those 10. I still had to chamfer the edge of the primer pocket because the RCBS tool doesn't radius the edge (unless you have a gorilla operate the press).

Again, to each their own.

Oh I totally agree, but the super swager is 10x the going price for the RCBS tool, the only advantage to the RCBS tool is free replacement parts and lower cost.

Swaging becomes a huge issue when you have lots and lots and lots of mixed brass. I do brass by the 55gal drum, at that point, neither of them are an option at all. Unfortunately, neither is the 1050 primer swaging system. The faster option to both of these is reaming, for large home reloading runs, the gracey primer pocket reamer is a very good tool, even if the price is a bit hard to swallow at first: Match Prep, Home of the Gracey Power Primer Pocket Reamer/Uniformer I just bought the reamer/bushing as I already have one of their case trimmers I use for all my .308 ammo. Best money I ever spent for trimming 2000pcs of match .308 brass.

Oh I totally agree, but the super swager is 10x the going price for the RCBS tool, the only advantage to the RCBS tool is free replacement parts and lower cost.

There's a good reason you are able to buy the RCBS tools at shows for $10. People tried them and found a better way and that's all they can get for them.

Yes, swaging mixed headstamp brass can be an issue due to different web thickness. But then, most handloaders will sort their brass by headstamp prior to processing so they can avoid load issues due to the various case capacities.

If the brass is the same headstamp and brand it may not be so hard to adjust the Dillon swager....or any press mounted one, and have it work consistantly. The issue I run into is with mixed brass. And all my brass is mixed for the most part. The different web thicknesses will make it impossible to adjust and forget. The flash hole burr will sometimes factor in as well. I have the Dillon 1050 and the Dillon bench swager and tend to do it by hand and by feel. I prefer to run the 1050 without the swager attachment as it feels smoother running without it, but usually will run it with the swager on the machine because most of the calibers I reload have some crimped primer pockets in the mix.....9mm, 38 Spl., 45 Acp, and 223 Rem. Then friggen small primed 45 ACP brass is a pain too.....I sort beforehand and always seem to miss a few and the swager will stop me cold, which is a much better alternative to having the primer blow if it were to get to the priming station without being discovered beforehand. The 1050 press primes at the same time it's doing everything else so you don't get the feel in the handle aything is wrong.

You indicate 10,000 case preparation is needed. The Dillion case prep tool is the best for doing this many.
Check this auction at Ebay: Dillon 600 Super swage | eBay
Not mine just passing it along. I have used the "center" and the RCBS die, I own the Dillion and trust me if you really are doing 10,000 cases buy a Dillion. Your hands and fingers will thank you, plus you will do about 99% without rejects.

Jim

Abso-freekin-lutely! .. if you have more than 100 cases .. the dillon is the way to go.
Yes the dillon tax is more.. but its worth it. extremely simple to use requires almost no adjustment. a 100% requirement for the surplus 7.62 (what is available to civilians is from the M240 - which stretches the crap out of the cases BTW)

For my lake city 5.56 brass I decap then use the hornady primer pocket reamer chucked in a drill press. I then turn it on and just push the cases to it. It's hard to mess up the primer pockets this way. My arms get a bit sore if I do large amounts as I'm using leverage upwards but it works.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top