JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Going to have to start loading for my sons new Varmit rifle a Mossberg MVP 24" barrel in .223/5.56
1-9" twist. Ranging to 250 yards.

My favorite small varmit bullet in .22 cal is the Hornady 55gr SP SX (super explosive) I use this in my 22-250 running at about 3400fps.

I'd like to hear what you guys are loading for your long barrel .223's to splode the sage rats and rabbits.

Wouldn't mind advise on Coyote loads as well. maybe something in the 68gr range.

Going to have to start loading for my sons new Varmit rifle a Mossberg MVP 24" barrel in .223/5.56

My favorite small varmit bullet in .22 cal is the Hornady 55gr SP SX (super explosive) I use this in my 22-250 running at about 3400fps.

I'd like to hear what you guys are loading for your long barrel .223's to splode the sage rats and rabbits.

Wouldn't mind advise on Coyote loads as well. maybe something in the 68gr range.

If "explosions of pink" are what you're looking for, stick with the light and fast bullets. The heavier you go, the slower as well.

Take a look at the Barns "Varmint Grenade". As they say in their advertising, "The bullet remains intact at ultra-high velocities, while its highly frangible core fragments explosively on impact. Produces instant fragmentation, virtually vaporizing ground squirrels and prairie dogs, even at long range. Expending its energy early, the Varmint Grenade seldom exits large predators like bobcats and coyotes, leaving valuable pelts virtually undamaged."

Their 50 gr VG should make for some fun shooting.

For a sage rat load I like Nosler 40 grain ballistic tips or Hornady V-Max's with 26 to 27.5 grains of H4895, it really vaporizes those alfalfa chucks.

For song dogs I like Nosler 69 grain custom competition BTHP with 25.5 grains of Varget.

These loads are safe in my gun, but you should work up slowly looking for any pressure signs in your gun.

For smaller varmints and red mist factor, 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, Hornady V-Max or Z-Max with 27.5 gr of Ramshot TAC, for bigger varmints, 55 gr Nosler Varmageddon with 26,5 gr Varget. Lately I have been using Wolf .223 primers. various case brands.
For the non-reloader, Fiocchi 40 gr V-Max (chronos 3650 out of 26" Rem SPS varmint), $17.99 for a box of 50 at ableammo.com
or Federal American Eagle 50 gr LCT (Tipped Varmint) available online from Cabelas for $6.99 per box of 20.

For the smaller critters, I usually use the cheap bullets unless I'm trying to hit them at distance. 55gr FMJ does a good job on rabbits without destroying too much meat. If you want the critters to get that classic "exploding varmint" experience, I've had great luck with the barnes varmint grenade, and the nostler ballistic tips, and sierra matchkings. I typically stick to the 50-55gr bullets as I shoot with an AR-15 HBAR (1:7 twist barrel).

I'm using a 60gr V-max over 26.0 gr of BLC-2 in my MVP and its putting 10rnds in under an inch at 100ds off sandbag, I have also Han very good luck with the 40 gr V-max ! Goodluck.

Nosler Combined technologies .224 ballistic silvertip in 55gn with H335 measured out to 35 gn. Total loaded length 2.250" Shoots a 5 shot group at 100 yards the size of a nickel out of a Varmint AR.

Umm... I think you're a bit hot there. In fact, i don't even think 35gr will fit in the case.

55 GR. SPR SP Hodgdon H335 .224" 2.200" 23.0 3018 40,800 CUP 25.3 3203 49,300 CUP

That's the hodgdon data for that bullet weight.

for coyotes I run 69gr bthp (usually SMK) with about 26.5 of 4895. This is out of an AR 24" 1/9. I have yet to try any of the light fast stuff for the red mist factor on prairie dogs, etc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top