JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Two photos of once fired 223 brass. Both pieces of brass are once fired. Brass on the right is from a recent batch of range pickup. It is a Winchester piece and no primer picket crimp and it is slightly under 1.750" in length. It also wider just behind the shoulder by .01". Was someone shooting something with a chamber this bad or did something else happen?

braas1.jpg braas.jpg

That brass was fired in an "Improved" chamber. A gunsmith reamed it out for improved performance. It's odd that it would be left behind, because guys with rifles like that invariably reload.

Two photos of once fired 223 brass. Both pieces of brass are once fired. Brass on the right is from a recent batch of range pickup. It is a Winchester piece and no primer picket crimp and it is slightly under 1.750" in length. It also wider just behind the shoulder by .01". Was someone shooting something with a chamber this bad or did something else happen?

View attachment 840068 View attachment 840069
What those guys said.. and there's no way to tell that a no primer crimped piece of range brass is once fired.

What those guys said.. and there's no way to tell that a no primer crimped piece of range brass is once fired.
I only mentioned crimp to indicate it was not a military type load, but most likely a sporting load. Reloaded cases can be easily identified by looking for marks left by sizing dies and the other hint, though not 100% certain, is if the case mouth has ever been chamfered. Case mouth has not been chamfered. The case appears fire formed to a different chamber and only once fired. The case has never been through a sizing die.

View attachment 840068 View attachment 840069
your message of 1.750" caught my eye. running a batch of 223 now.
just me, but think you have a few "experts" here contributing b.s. to a good question.
223/556 cases trim at 1.760 max to 1.750. being slightly at or under that would be consistant with a fired 223/556 case.
just my opinion, but what i think you found was a 223 case from someone trying to enhance performance of the 223 case.
someone around where you found that case is a serious gun nut with or without a buddy that can do chamber work.

To me, it just looks like a run of the mill 223 Rem Ackley Improved. But I wouldn't want to contribute any b.s.
I was almost thinking that, if they were standing up side by side it would be easier to see, it most likely is. the pics/light just made the one look like it had been necked down a hair.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top