Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

223/ 556, what case length is considered too short?

808hondacrguy

Reactions
I tried the search, but couldn't find anything. What case length is considered too short to reload 223/ 556? My friend gave me a bunch of prepped brass, and I don't know if he had a mishap with his trimmer or what, but a majority of the brass measures 1.730s and low 1.740s.. I trim mine to 1.750 +/- .002, and his numbers seem low. I am just loading up a bunch of plinking rounds to take my daughter and some of her friends out to shoot the ARs, but don't want the rounds to be dangerous. Thanks, Guy

OP
808hondacrguy

808hondacrguy

Reactions
Cool, thanks guys, I will load them all up then, and take the girls shooting. I appreciate the quick responses. Just didn't want to put them in harms way by using the cases if dangerous. :)

Dyjital

Reactions
Cool, thanks guys, I will load them all up then, and take the girls shooting. I appreciate the quick responses. Just didn't want to put them in harms way by using the cases if dangerous. :)
Nah, think of the bearing surface of the bullet and case needing to be consistent, that’s all.. There was a standard set and that’s what we use. I’ve trimmed some of mine short on accident and had no fouls. Yeah, they were short.

Reactions
I think I've had some factory federal that was close to being that short. Btw, it will also grow if you shoot and resize it.

v0lcom13sn0w

Reactions
if sized properly the length of the neck wont affect the shoulder of the case. ive used “too short” brass before with no problems

Reactions
Short cases don't crimp in semi autos you could have a problem if the ammo blows excessive crap into your gun could shorten you fun gun shooting experience

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Revelation Arms
    1.00 star(s)
    A few years back, I had him thread the barrel on an AK. The threads were not aligned with the...
    • Howard1955
  • Oregon Rifleworks
    4.00 star(s)
    I found Oregon Rifleworks because I used to take public transit to Tigard and the Wes stops off...
    • corey_pdx
  • Ed's Guns and Gear
    5.00 star(s)
    With multiple FFL/shops closing over the last few months, it’s nice to see Ed doing so well...
    • PNW Partisan
  • Ed's Guns and Gear
    5.00 star(s)
    Ed's a great guy with a good peronality and good customer service. I enjoy supporting his small...
    • jaytee0115
  • Revelation Arms
    1.00 star(s)
    I will preface this with the fact that this poor reference is only based on my experience...
    • trekkerpaul