JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you think of the 5.56 NATO?

• Total voters
Reactions
I want to poll this forum... what are your thoughts on the 5.56x45mm (223) rifle ammo?

Note- i dont care about other calibers in this post... im just curious about what people think if this caliber.

Which are you asking about?
The .223 and 5.56 round are close but not identical.
The 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures and the leade is different than the .223
A 5.56 can shoot a .223, but not always the opposite.

With the right bullet it is a very good round for certain things.With perfect placement it perfect for most things man size and smaller.

Stories about vegetation wavering the little 22 pill all over in Viet Nam
Stories of it wizzing through the skinny drugged out Somalians when the Blackhawk Down incident happened without good results.
Stories from the middle east about it not really being adequate.

My love for the 5.56 has more to do with the rifle than the round, for reasons we have debated a thousand times here.

IMHO, the only people that can truly attest to the man stopping power of the 5.56 are the ones that have used it in combat.

Lefty.

It is what it is. Effective intermediate rifle round.

IMO 5.45 X 39 if you dont want to step up to a more powerful round and are looking for a good round to stock up on.

I dig the round.... I really like how light a 30 round mag is when I carry them in my LBV. I am not a fan of the price but no one put a gun to my head and make me get an AR in 5.56 and one of the big reasons why I got the 5.56 AR is because it's a NATO round. For a mid range caliber I like it, for close range I got my AK and I don't have anything for long distance.
There is another caliber close to the 5.56 that I actually like more but since you mentioned that you don't care about other calibers I will shoosh my mouth lol. Oh I really like the green tips and the red tips btw.

223/556 is capable of perfect scores in NRA High Power competition out to 600 yards. (Standard National Match course). The AR-15 'service Rifle' dominates NRA High Power competition. 762x39 cannot keep on the paper at 300 yards. The 223/556 will hold the 10 ring no problem at 600 yards.

While I agree that weight matters, it always bothered me to carry a round I didn't have faith in while I was wearing a pickle suit or a tree suit....

Interesting that there are a lot of states that won't allow the 5.56 to be used on deer sized game because of issues with its effectiveness...

I guess the argument can be made for more ammo over effectiveness if you are spray and prayin'.
But why not train your guys to shoot the 7.62x51 better?Then you wouldn't need more ammo

But if you aim well the 5.56 works.

We have to prepare to fight armies with body armor now and the itty bitty calibers penetrate better.

I bought a bolt action 223 last month to go along with my three semis. I put on the same scope as the one on my boomer, as a practice rifle it matches the trajectory with very little barrel heat.

I guess the argument can be made for more ammo over effectiveness if you are spray and prayin'.
But why not train your guys to shoot the 7.62x51 better?Then you wouldn't need more ammo

Historical studies after ww2 have been conducted which revealed that the fighting force that was able to sling the most lead down range were more effective then long prep aimed fire. Couple this with the urban style warfare that is becoming increasingly more common, the military did not need to outfit its troops with standard rifles designed to take 400 yard shots regularly. (Although the m16 platform is capable of such accuracy.) Also most modern day fighting forces are backed by supply lines which can replenish small arms ammo that is used in suppressive roles. This does however bring up a good point with regards to survivalists who do not have the benefit of ready accessible supply and may not have squad sized firepower. As a survivalist you will not be engaging in prolonged fire fights and one shot stops may be more desirable.

YMMV, I have 5.56, 5.45 as my main caliber stockpile

I dig the round.... I really like how light a 30 round mag is when I carry them in my LBV. I am not a fan of the price but no one put a gun to my head and make me get an AR in 5.56 and one of the big reasons why I got the 5.56 AR is because it's a NATO round. For a mid range caliber I like it, for close range I got my AK and I don't have anything for long distance.
There is another caliber close to the 5.56 that I actually like more but since you mentioned that you don't care about other calibers I will shoosh my mouth lol. Oh I really like the green tips and the red tips btw.

:s0155: mmmmm red tips!!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads