JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are you guys using / finding to load plinkers? with supplies drying up what's it costing to reload?

I found some cheap 55gr tracer projectiles (not promissed to light) figured I would load them up?.?.?

What are you guys using / finding to load plinkers? with supplies drying up what's it costing to reload?

I found some cheap 55gr tracer projectiles (not promissed to light) figured I would load them up?.?.?

If you're shooting them in the woods, be wary of fire danger. Also most ranges won't allow tracer rounds, due to the fire potential.

Bi-mart had inventory on Hornady and Nosler 223 in multiple grains, the last three times I've been in. Same prices as before folks starting buying everything they could find. (Thank you BiMart!) I didn't buy out what they had, only what I needed, to let others get some.

If you don't mine 100 of this and 100 of that, Cabela's has had some "oddball" .224" bullets almost every time I go there. The popular weights, 55 gr and up, are usually gone but lots of lighter ones. Will drive you wild trying to come up with a workable load so just go on a site like Handloads.com and check their database for something others have used.

As for reloading cost, the old "models" are totally invalid today. For those who kept their stock healthy before the lunacy began, .223 rounds aveage $0.16 ea using Montana gold 55 gr, Wolf .223 Primers, and AA2230 powder.

Keep heart. These will all be back. Probably about 10% more expensive but just remember, every year has seen a price increase anyway.

... go on a site like Handloads.com and check their database for something others have used.

As for reloading cost, the old "models" are totally invalid today. For those who kept their stock healthy before the lunacy began, .223 rounds aveage $0.16 ea using Montana gold 55 gr, Wolf .223 Primers, and AA2230 powder.

Keep heart. These will all be back. Probably about 10% more expensive but just remember, every year has seen a price increase anyway.

Insanity is right. An acquaintance offered me bullets at "great prices." Privi Partizan box of 20 5.56 for $9 and Remington .223 for $15 (what I used to buy at Bi Mart for $6 on sale).
Whatever the raw materials do in price, so does the finished ammo.

Whatever the raw materials do in price, so does the finished ammo.

The last price run-up on ammo and component prices was due to the increase in raw materials like copper and lead. The developing economies in China and other countries caused these commodities to increase in price immensely.

Todays prices are being driven purely by the shortage caused by those who are hoarding ammo, components, and anything related to potentially banned firearms. Not a world-wide material shortage but an a bad attack of "dumbass" that has caused people who don't even shoot to go out and grab whatever they can off the shelves.

Statement heard at Cabela's one day:

"I better grab this reloading press before they outlaw that too!"

Also observed at Cabela's back when this lunacy all began. A middle aged couple who looked like they couldn't even afford the "Goodwill chic" clothing they were wearing, hauling a full shopping cart of ammo filled 50 cal cans. Were discussing which bills wouldn't get paid that month. Cart was filled with what I would guess to be more than $2000 worth of bulk ammo.

And then there's the guy that the Seattle Media interviewed. Said he was "investing" more than $20K in AR's and Ammo. Either he was stocking his own gun shop or he planned on selling them later at a huge markup. Wonder if the ATF paid him some special attention with the multiple gun purchases and the chance of him becoming an "illegal dealer".

Lunacy, Stupidity, Greed, Paranoia, all are part of the shortage and prices. This time, not a case of material shortages.

Not that it helps now, but I'm fond of buying the cheap armscore from Brassman when they are in stock. Buy in batches of 2500 and its about $0.07 pet bullet. They're good enough for plinking. Could be a while until we see that again though

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top