JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sadly, I sold off all my 222 stuff several years back. I too, had a 340.
Was it ever a shooter! wow! amaxing little cartridge with a long history of inherant accuracy. The 340 savage handled it well!

Hope you find what you need!

my best load was with the old BLC-2 powder and 45 and 50 gr bullets. Rock Chucks out to about 275 pretty reguler off a bipod.

Howdy, d3,

I have two sets of dies: One is a Lyman All American (older, but appear entirely serviceable). 10 bucks and they're yours.
Or: If you want the best, a set of RCBS. Appear new. 20 bucks and you're on your way.

That 340 is an overlooked gun for accuracy. I have a Hornet that is a very precise gun on the target, and I've played with .30-30's over the past few years to find them rivaling any bolt gun in any caliber on the bench. Dads with kids looking for their first deer rifle keep showing up, and so I can't seem to hang on to the guns. Latest kid that got one from me has 4 deer and an elk under his belt with his 340. He and his dad like the fact that they can load fancy pointed bullets in the ol' .30-30. (Not possible with a Winchester levergun.)

I will assume your 340 has a side-mount (Weaver?). These often result in the scope being very slightly off center over the bore. Fortunately, they almost always are too far to the left, and judicious "milling" of the contour of the mount where it mates with the side of the receiver (using sandpaper over a properly sized piece of pipe) can bring that scope back where it belongs, directly over the bore. This is trial and error, making sure not to go too far.

The elk slayer previously mentioned has the old "sheet metal" Savage ring/mount arrangment, and with some careful tweaking of the mount in a vise, I was able to get it centered over the bore as well. This desire for centering over the bore really only comes into play at longer ranges. If the scope is not centered over the bore, your impact point will be to the right or left if you are not shooting at the exact range that you have previously sighted in for.

Let me know if you need these dies, and how your "poor man's" varminter shoots! I'll bet it shines against the best.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads