JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
same as it does now Training, Small game, defensive weapon, Offensive weapon

if you need suppressive fire a .22LR will work as well as anything to keep the bad guys head down while your buddy flanks them. And its sure easier/cheaper to throw 100) 22LRs at someone then 100) .223 you have to replace.

1000 rds of .22 fit in the same space as what 6-7) 20rd AR15 mags

And its a lot easier to eat the neighbors cat if you hit it with a 22 in the head then blow it to pieces with a larger caliber rifle.

And its a lot easier to eat the neighbors cat if you hit it with a 22 in the head then blow it to pieces with a larger caliber rifle.

You shoot my cat, and you'll have to get thru a hail of my 22 rounds to collect it.

But I'll agree with the rest of what you said. The 22 might be a small round, but it kills more people than any other round every year from what I remember reading. And just because it's small doesn't mean people will be OK with getting hit with it, it will work just fine as a deterent. And perfect for small game hunting, like squirrels and rabbits.

in a SHTF scenario, what purpose, if any, does a .22 caliber pistol or rifle serve?

Harassment, food, etc, and it is easy to carry a couple K rds.
See the thread interesting test. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/showthread.php?t=155755 Interesting test

You shoot my cat, and you'll have to get thru a hail of my 22 rounds to collect it.

But I'll agree with the rest of what you said. The 22 might be a small round, but it kills more people than any other round every year from what I remember reading. And just because it's small doesn't mean people will be OK with getting hit with it, it will work just fine as a deterent. And perfect for small game hunting, like squirrels and rabbits.

I absolutely promise if SHTF I will be no where near Beaverton or anywhere out side my own little town. Your kitty is safe LOL

I will agree with everyone so far. The biggest advantage is that in a SHTF situation, the gun and ammo is light, and you can carry thousands of rounds easily. Plus, anyone can shoot it accurately (if you need to arm children/women/old people).

I will agree with everyone so far. The biggest advantage is that in a SHTF situation, the gun and ammo is light, and you can carry thousands of rounds easily. Plus, anyone can shoot it accurately (if you need to arm children/women/old people).

And most everyone with a bare minimum of shooting experience has some time with the .22LR, and will be very comfortable with it.

A 22lr, has killed allot more then people realize. The velocity of this little demon is that it bounces around making a mess out of carbon base units . Until it hits a solid mass usually a chest bone or word spinal area. If SHTF I would rather have a pass thru then a piece of lead getting infected near my liver or spine.

I would rather the large caliber round just took me out, or just was a soft tissue pass through. An infection in your abdominal cavity is a very slow and painful way to die, although an infection of the liver or spine is going to do you pretty quick, but painful. Been there and done that, and lived to tell about it, not a gun shot but the abdominal infection.

You could still take a snack for the road.
Theres plenty of critters around here to eat. Heck once SHTF urban deer hunting will be a blast for about 2 weeks. Theres a bunch of deer living here in town. And just out of town is a bunch of stables and even a couple dairys.

there's "hoarding" and then there's compulsive hoarding, and then there's hoarding as defined in fortification terms...

"hoarding" is what pisses commies off; it's simply the accumulation of property...

compulsive hoarding is a kind of mental condition/disorder in which the person keeps EVERYTHING, including TRASH...and generally has poor self- hygiene... ever seen "hoarders' tv show? it is absolutely disgusting....

hoarding in fortification; you add a walk way outside the fabric of the defensible position (the hoard to the face), with which you can pour boiling pitch oil and garbage, rubble, shoot with arrows or muskets against the attackers.\

now...some people consider saving money/precious metals to be hoarding...and those people include banks and government workers... on the basis they cannot get their piece if you don't give it to them....

and for a .22LR, there are many uses mentioned above; and it is a prime reason aircrews were once issued the AR-7 survival rifles in .22LR; along with a .22LR pistol...
I am on the hunt for a decent .22LR pump, these are hard to find for the price...really missing my dad's old .22LR Rossi Model 62SA.... it was also a take-down model, so it could be packed in..which I like, and since its a pump with a 14 tube magazine...it would do me great as a camp rifle/small game getter....

I liked 22LR until everyone else began hoarding it. When that happened the economic value went away and I began buying 54r which at times was cheaper and definitely more available than 22LR.

I can use a .177 or 22 cal air rifle for small game. I can use my bow or 54r for large game or 2 legged predators.

.22s are the most sensible caliber to suppress, pistol or rifle. It would be unneighborly to contribute to noise pollution.

Even suppressed you still get the signature sonic crack from standard/high velocity 22lr unless you're shooting it out of a very short bbl pistol (Beretta 21a / Bearcat comes to mind)

You can better shoot a .45 with a wet can than a 22lr if you want quiet.

there's "hoarding" and then there's compulsive hoarding, and then there's hoarding as defined in fortification terms...

"hoarding" is what pisses commies off; it's simply the accumulation of property...

compulsive hoarding is a kind of mental condition/disorder in which the person keeps EVERYTHING, including TRASH...and generally has poor self- hygiene... ever seen "hoarders' tv show? it is absolutely disgusting....

hoarding in fortification; you add a walk way outside the fabric of the defensible position (the hoard to the face), with which you can pour boiling pitch oil and garbage, rubble, shoot with arrows or muskets against the attackers.\

now...some people consider saving money/precious metals to be hoarding...and those people include banks and government workers... on the basis they cannot get their piece if you don't give it to them....

and for a .22LR, there are many uses mentioned above; and it is a prime reason aircrews were once issued the AR-7 survival rifles in .22LR; along with a .22LR pistol...
I am on the hunt for a decent .22LR pump, these are hard to find for the price...really missing my dad's old .22LR Rossi Model 62SA.... it was also a take-down model, so it could be packed in..which I like, and since its a pump with a 14 tube magazine...it would do me great as a camp rifle/small game getter....

Do I have to pick just one?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads