JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this would be a compromise in terms of knockdown, range etc. Since it's not likely to get a lot of use I want something that could be used on a coyote or cougar out over 50 yards, or the possible intruder. I'm thinking the ability to put out 5 or 10 rounds in a hurry helps overcome the lack of raw power. Probably more likely to be firing warning shots at either animals or bad people, than punching holes. Ammo shouldn't be expensive which means I can practice more or just take it out plinking. Still have a 270 Winchester bolt on consignment but that's even less likely to be fired very often.

I also have a Springfield Armory XD in 9mm ( plus concealed permit ) so the 22 wouldn't be the only self-defense gun.

I'm curious why not a small caliber centerfire?
I was looking at your typical 5.56 AR rifles but it doesn't seem like you can get much in that price range but I'm open to the idea
... 22 hornet 22 250 I don't know what else, some of those may have gotten to where ammunitionis hard to find

Yeah I can wait... and like I said I have the 9 m m with some man stopping type hollow points...I remember when the all those FBI studies came out people thought the 9mmm wasn't potent enough but because they found in an adrenaline field environment there's so many misses you're better off to be able to get off a number of rounds and not be afraid of The recoil.... I guess that's why I'm thinking about something like a 22.... it's practically like a shotgun as fast as fast as it will fire

Reminds me of the Ron White story he was talking to somebody in California about self defense ..... The young Californian said you can't shoot him in the back, and Ron White said no but put enough bullets into the back of their legs and they'll turn around..

I was looking at your typical 5.56 AR rifles but it doesn't seem like you can get much in that price range but I'm open to the idea
... 22 hornet 22 250 I don't know what else, some of those may have gotten to where ammunitionis hard to find

Are you very handy mechanicaly inclinded?

If so you can usually peice one together for less than $500.

-Anderson lower $50
-PSA lower build kit with magpul furniture and enhanced trigger $110
-BCA complete rifle upper $250
-couple of hex mags at $25 total.

Add some sights and you can still be well under budget.

Favorite low cost option is the Bushnell Reddot on a 3/4" riser (should run about $65)

Of you can find better deals out there as well that bring that price even lower

-Anderson lower $50

Favorite low cost option is the Bushnell Reddot on a 3/4" riser (should run about $65)

Great point. I would toss in an extra hundred for some flip-up sights for backup in case your optics pack it in. I like Magpul MBUS.

-Anderson lower $50

I think I could build one but don't have a garage or shop these days.

Palmetto State Armory

And there is also BCA for low priced uppers

Bear Creek Arsenal.

Pew pew Tactical also has some excellent instructions on building the lower. I did mine siting cross legged on the couch, imo the hardest part is the front takedown pin dentent which just takes patience

Either the CMR 30 or the A22m from Savage. I have the Savage, also bought the 25rd mags from Butler Creak the mags are not as easy to find as the A17 ones but are out there.

You could also build a 22mag Ruger style rifle, only need a drill press, but it may exceed that limit.

The Kel-Tec CMR 30 we had briefly wouldn't at all, even after a trip back tot he factory, and trying several different brands of ammo. Maybe a fluke, but I wouldn't ever bother with one again. Though I know they've worked out for others. Good luck. :)

"CMR 30"

I wish that gun had a better reputation, but I won't buy it now with all the bad reviews about it.

I got my first .22WMR gun a year or so back, a Savage B22 Magnum. That's the bolt gun, not semi-auto. I like it for a truck gun, it's the one with the 16" threaded barrel so very handy. I thought about the A22 and it does get good reviews, but I like the simplicity of a bolt gun. Just put an old Weaver 2x scope on it. I also like the caliber. Even though I reload, I like the idea of just shooting and not chasing after brass in the weeds. As I get old, I get more lazy! There are some pretty respectable defense loads for it now too, although there are obviously better ones out there.

It's lots of fun to shoot, the magazines are 10-round (same as the A22 Magnum mags), and you can carry a lot of rounds.

Savage Arms - B22 MAGNUM

A bit off topic: You mentioned "warning shots" in your First Post. FWIW firing "Warning Shots" during ANY confrontation is a VERY Bad idea. If you have a reason to shoot then you should shoot to kill and NOTHING less.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top