JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just inherited a Smith and Wesson 22 revolver. 6"bbl. Double action. I cannot find a model number on it anywhere. I know it's a K-frame from the serial number, but that is all the identifying marks I can find. Any help appreciated.
Smith &Wesson on left side of barrel, 22 long rifle ctg. on right side of barrel. 4 screw trigger housing plate.

Open up the cylinder and look at the #'s stamped on frame right below the barrel.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wikkidpissah.com%2Fguns%2Fswstandardmodnum.jpg

Sounds like a pre-17 model (before s&w started stamping model numbers on the guns). Smith & Wesson started stamping model numbers sometime in the late 50's I think, others will know the exact year, but I am generalizing for the purposes of helping you identify your revolver.

This model is typically called a K-22 Masterpiece. 6" barreled K frame 22 LR.

They didn't start using the Model 17 designation until 1957. What's the Serial Number?
They made them pre and post WWII. Wouldn't trade my 1948 model for 10 new 17's!

Thank you all for the help and info. Their isn't a model number anywhere. I did learn from you tube that this is a 5 screw model. 4 in the side plate and 1 in front of the trigger housing. I think Greenbug is real close with his estimate. Again thanks all.

They didn't start using the Model 17 designation until 1957. What's the Serial Number?
They made them pre and post WWII. Wouldn't trade my 1948 model for 10 new 17's!
Serial number is pretty dinged up but first three are 246 then I believe 2??. Will have to start cleaning her up. That's another reason for wanting to know, are their any disassembly quirks specific to this revolver?

Serial number is pretty dinged up but first three are 246 then I believe 2??. Will have to start cleaning her up. That's another reason for wanting to know, are their any disassembly quirks specific to this revolver?
There certainly can be. I would suggest you take it to a Pistolsmith to have it cleaned and inspected. To clean it completely it probably needs to spend some time in a hydrosonic tank. Depending on condition that gun it could have a great deal of value. Give it what it deserves. FWIW Your gun is a K-22 Target, not a Masterpiece.

There certainly can be. I would suggest you take it to a Pistolsmith to have it cleaned and inspected. To clean it completely it probably needs to spend some time in a hydrosonic tank. Depending on condition that gun it could have a great deal of value. Give it what it deserves. FWIW Your gun is a K-22 Target, not a Masterpiece.
K-22 Target. Is that based on the 5 screws, serial# or both?

K-22 Target. Is that based on the 5 screws, serial# or both?
The name was given to those guns because that is what it was designed to be used for. It went along with the K-38, which became the Model 14. I would love to see some pictures of the gun just to make sure we are talking about the same thing.:)

K246x?? The letter K and 4 digits? (I'm doing some assuming here--you did say
" I know it's a K-frame from the serial number").

1947. A very good year.:)

As to when it was shipped. A simple call to Smith and Wesson at the 800 number on their website will get you the month and year the gun was shipped.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top