JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few people posted what I was going to write.

Use soapy water in a spray bottle OR use wasp/hornet spray.

I would not be shooting a gun of any type on a brick, stone or 'sided' house, garage or barn.

I admit that I do NOT know jack squat about 22 shotshells and I never bought them. I saw them in the stores out here and I asked my husband about them. I never paid attention to that ammo back east.

I have used both of the above methods back east (Great Lakes region - farm/lake country.) and out here in MT. They worked. My late family used soapy water on hornet/wasp nests on the East Coast too. They left the honey bees alone but they sprayed the nasty ones.

I used it on a wood pile - stack of logs back east too. It was a pretty big pile of wood too.

I had one of those hanging lights that supposedly zapped flying insects too.

The thing that worked the best was natural. Build yourself a bird house or a couple of them. The birds will EAT most insects that may 'bug' you. NO pun intended! I think that 'Martins' were well known for doing that but I am not positive on my memory for that specific Martin bird now.

Your mileage may vary.

Cate
I think it likely that there would be a mortality rate if Martins or similar size birds attempted to eat these wasps. Perhaps take a que from the Japanese on what works or doesn't.

I think it likely that there would be a mortality rate if Martins or similar size birds attempted to eat these wasps. Perhaps take a que from the Japanese on what works or doesn't.

Huh? Maybe you need to read what I wrote again or just forget it.

Regarding my entire Post # 73:

When I mentioned Martins and bird houses it was a Side Note. I did not say that Martins or other birds would be eating these specific KILLER hornets or wasps. Most birds will eat all kinds of insects and Martins are well known for keeping mosquitoes and other insects down where I used to live. Other birds did the same thing in my former area and out here in Montana.

The natural way worked better than the zapper lights for me. I base that on my own experience living in the boonies in one place for over 30 years.

I am not saying that zapper lights will work in your state better or worse than where I used to live. I am not saying that zapper lights will KILL this Asian hornet.

It was a side note - part of a discussion.

Quote/snippet from the Bottom of my post:

"I had one of those hanging lights that supposedly zapped flying insects too.

The thing that worked the best was natural. Build yourself a bird house or a couple of them. The birds will EAT most insects that may 'bug' you. NO pun intended! I think that 'Martins' were well known for doing that but I am not positive on my memory for that specific Martin bird now."

On the VERY TOP of the same post - I mentioned what I thought would work for wasps and hornets.

Quote:

"A few people posted what I was going to write.

Use soapy water in a spray bottle OR use wasp/hornet spray.

Etc."

I base that on my own experience too. I sure as heck would not be shooting at a house, garage or barn to try to KILL wasps or hornets whether it was this TYPE of Asian Murder Hornet or what has already existed here in the USA when it comes to wasps and hornets in general.

Have a nice Sunday.

Cate

Last Edited:
Guns against hornets are like a club against Godzilla. You might make him mad, but you certainly won't kill him. Report the hornets if you see them, that's the first thing. The Bee Boys will want to know how they spread, and where they are. If you get caught in a fix, kill them with bug spray, and THEN call the Bee Boys.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top