JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, since it is rimfire there is a low likelihood that the government is buying it all up - why would they?

I think it is a mix of things.

1) As they say, there are a lot of people buying new rimfire guns and shooting it up.

2) There are people who are scalping and they have a market because there are people who will pay their prices (I won't - I have enough rimfire for now - when the prices come back down and stay down, then I will start stocking up more).

3) There are people who may not be as patient as me, and once the price gets below a certain point they buy all they can, clearing the shelves (along with the scalpers) - the difference being that they usually don't turn around and sell, they hoard.

For me, it is the principle - I won't intentionally make the scarcity worse by hoarding when the shelves are bare - I will wait until there is plenty for everybody.

I also will NOT pay scalping prices - I won't support people who make the problem worse by profiting off the situation. I could easily pay their prices, but it is the principle of the thing, plus the fact that as long as people pay those prices, and there are no other sources at lower prices, they can sell at those prices.

But I *seem* to see the prices coming down, availability coming back, and scalpers *seem* to be wanting to sell now because they know this.

I would like to see the scalpers (including some people here who sell for $35 to $50 per 500 when the retail prices is $15 to $20 per 500) trying to sell and no one buying, but there is always some fool who will pay the higher prices they ask.

2) There are people who are scalping and they have a market because there are people who will pay their prices (I won't - I have enough rimfire for now - when the prices come back down and stay down, then I will start stocking up more).

So just how are you different than the people you are ragging about and blaming for causing the problem ?

Yet every time someone posts overpriced 22lr to sell on this forum it gets snapped up right away. Some folks seem ready to pay any price just to get some 22lr. I won't. I stocked up before this all started. Anything I bought since then was a reasonable price - or I didn't buy.

It's always been fat, old hoarders. Retired dudes who can camp Bi-Mart and Walmart on deliver day.
Hey That's me ....almost when are those secret delivery days...times and stuff. I have five hungry .22LR rifles with empty chambers, and Five more little ones both pistols and revolvers that need to be fed. They are starving, especially my Henry Pump. Give me the dates and times and I'll see to it that you continue to get none. Plus I deserve it more...ask me! I'll tell you I deserve it more!

Come on cough up the dates and times of those deliveries!

So just how are you different than the people you are ragging about and blaming for causing the problem ?

Not to answer for the guy but just like him I have plenty and will wait. I know I am different because my stock of .22 came when there was plenty of it and nobody wondered if it would be in stock when they walked into bi mart or any other place.
When there was stacks of boxes not long ago and they went on sale I bought bricks. Still have many of them and left plenty behind for others at that point. Until recent times nobody considered buying a brick on sale and stocking up a bad thing. Now that they cannot or will not keep up people regret not thinking ahead.

So I guess I am different because you have a problem I don't. Not thinking ahead and buying when things are on sale. Never hurts to stock up on ammo when it is available. If nothing else you should have learned that by now. You will never see me sell mine but I do share with family and friends.

As Heretic said I also will not buy at scalper prices and will wait until the shelves are back to having sale prices before buying more. The sale prices come when they have it in abundance and need to sell it as it has been sitting a long while. At the very least until it is back to well under 20 a box.

It's always been fat, old hoarders. Retired dudes who can camp Bi-Mart and Walmart on deliver day.

I went in once on delivery day. Line of people like you describe waiting for the "gold" to be hauled out and fighting over their place in line. I left because all I came for was a single box of 9mm and they clearly needed it more than me.

Thank god for friends that reload just for enjoyment and have 10s of thousands of rounds I can plink with.

Funny thing, alot of countries manufacture 22 lr but all you see when you see it are common USA brands. Seems we should be seeing all kinds of import to fill the demand.

Not to answer for the guy but just like him I have plenty and will wait. I know I am different because my stock of .22 came when there was plenty of it and nobody wondered if it would be in stock when they walked into bi mart or any other place.
When there was stacks of boxes not long ago and they went on sale I bought bricks. Still have many of them and left plenty behind for others at that point. Until recent times nobody considered buying a brick on sale and stocking up a bad thing. Now that they cannot or will not keep up people regret not thinking ahead.

So I guess I am different because you have a problem I don't. Not thinking ahead and buying when things are on sale. Never hurts to stock up on ammo when it is available. If nothing else you should have learned that by now. You will never see me sell mine but I do share with family and friends.

As Heretic said I also will not buy at scalper prices and will wait until the shelves are back to having sale prices before buying more. The sale prices come when they have it in abundance and need to sell it as it has been sitting a long while. At the very least until it is back to well under 20 a box.

Exactly. I have a little over 5000 rounds of 22LR and that's not much for me. I buy in bulk and the most I've paid is seven cents per round, not counting the specialty stuff that was never available at that price. If I were hoarding I would think I'd have paid a lot more than that, and would have more than a few months' supply left.

Exactly. I have a little over 5000 rounds of 22LR and that's not much for me. I buy in bulk and the most I've paid is seven cents per round, not counting the specialty stuff that was never available at that price. If I were hoarding I would think I'd have paid a lot more than that, and would have more than a few months' supply left.

I've been "hoarding" a bunch lately (3 bricks in the last 2 days between the wife and I) and haven't paid more than $.05 a round."Hoarding" has nothing to do with how much you're paying.

Yep, back in the good old days you could get the stuff for 15 bucks a box on sale and sometimes less. I never passed it up and have about the same. Maybe 7000 left but I do not shoot like I used to. I shoot further out and take my time a whole lot more now. I used to shoot 1k plus a month or more now it is more like a couple hundred. Back then there was no question if there was enough ammo to restock my supply.

Ahh, those good ol'days... I'm not that old but at 18 years of age, we would go and buy 3-4 bricks just for that day. They were about $6.99 on sale and 7.99 everyday. I remember the GI joes on Mill Plain would keep a pallet of those bricks on the floor at all times and I never even considered stockpiling.

If I could go back in time... I would invest in Microsoft, Apple and Google; then I could just pay whatever it cost, and shoot all I want:p.

Let's all get over it 22 this 22 that blah blah blah that is all I hear . I would say buy a different caliber till they figure it out and it is back on the shelfs . If you need a 22 for a new youth getting into shooting I understand but if it is not available what can you do cry about it some more ? I would suggest start shooting 223 it is out there and will not scare a new shooter getting into the sport heck put a muzzle brake on it so it will not kick as much! If everyone relaxes and quits buying all this overpriced 22 the dust will settle and things will work out .If a 22 is all you have for plinking or self defence get a single barrel 12 ga shelves are full of 12 ga ammo at Wal Mart . Thank you for letting me vent :)

Let's all get over it 22 this 22 that blah blah blah that is all I hear . I would say buy a different caliber till they figure it out and it is back on the shelfs . If you need a 22 for a new youth getting into shooting I understand but if it is not available what can you do cry about it some more ? I would suggest start shooting 223 it is out there and will not scare a new shooter getting into the sport heck put a muzzle brake on it so it will not kick as much! If everyone relaxes and quits buying all this overpriced 22 the dust will settle and things will work out .If a 22 is all you have for plinking or self defence get a single barrel 12 ga shelves are full of 12 ga ammo at Wal Mart . Thank you for letting me vent :)
You're missing the point, so hard.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads