JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, When I was 10 I got a Savage .22/.410 over/under for my birthday. I probably shot 10,000 rounds through it by the time I was 14, one shot at a time. It was pretty much the greatest thing ever. I had been shooting for a good long time even at 10. Had already been through hunters safety both with the cub scouts and the city program. I was allowed a few boxes of ammo and my rifle in my room and the ability to tromp around the farm with it and shoot ground squirrels and rock chucks on sight. At 13 my dad bought me a German made Browning .22 auto "to use" (He still has it in his safe, I think it was just an excuse for him to buy it but I did put a lot of rounds through it) and at 15 I bought my first gun with my own money, A Ruger 10/22. I can tell you without .22LR I would have had a very different childhood.

I would say I started around 12-13 as well. I shot in a big bore pistol silhouette league, prone rested on your calf. I shot a 7 MM TCU Contender that I developed the loads myself for. My Dad shot a XP100 in .221 Fireball. I doubt very much I ever would have got there without many thousands of rounds of .22LR first. I also practiced at home with a .22 LR barrel on my T/C on a short range. I think if we lost .22LR it would be devastating long term. It might not effect us in any big way but I think it would greatly reduce the number of first time shooters and decades from now the effects would be tremendous

Well I don't know about that. Back in the old days you'd use a flintlock squirrel rifle and the ball was reused for generations and nobody cried to mommy. If someone wants to machinegun a tin can, get a Gameboy. lolz

OTOH, minimum wage was about $2/hr - if I was lucky enough to have a job - about half the time I wasn't. It took me 2 to 3 hours of working to buy a brick, now it takes me less than half an hour - if I were inclined to pay the current prices.

I think arguing that most folks would start out plinking with a $500-$1000 rifle and rounds that are $.50 each is silly. I think its even more so to argue that they would hand load there own ammo to make it more affordable. For every one person who might do that today there are hundreds that start off with a .22

I think it is funny to hear the people when they say they wont buy any more 22lr ammo until the price comes back down to "well below $20 a brick".

Wake up! $25 per brick is the new "normal" price. Why would you sell something for less when it is worth more?

I sure would like some milk for my breakfast cereal, but gosh... $2.99 a gallon seems crazy, I remember when it was $1.99 a gallon... I'll just wait to have breakfast until the price comes back down to what it was....

I think it is funny to hear the people when they say they wont buy any more 22lr ammo until the price comes back down to "well below $20 a brick".

Wake up! $25 per brick is the new "normal" price. Why would you sell something for less when it is worth more?

I sure would like some milk for my breakfast cereal, but gosh... $2.99 a gallon seems crazy, I remember when it was $1.99 a gallon... I'll just wait to have breakfast until the price comes back down to what it was....

If milk had been banished off the shelves and you could not find it in any stores aside from when you get lucky you might have a valid point. It is 25 right now because it is so hard to get even for a store let alone you or me. Milk went up with inflation. Ammo went up due to gun bans or more so trying to implement bans.

I think arguing that most folks would start out plinking with a $500-$1000 rifle and rounds that are $.50 each is silly. I think its even more so to argue that they would hand load there own ammo to make it more affordable. For every one person who might do that today there are hundreds that start off with a .22

I agree that a lot of people I know started with a fear of guns and recoil. Then I have handed them a .22 and a minute later they are asking to shoot again. Often later they are asking to shoot my 9s or 40s since they are not so fearful of the noise anymore after shooting .22 and hearing me shoot "loud" rounds and hit the same targets.

Last January I placed a backorder for 5,000 rounds of CCI .22's @ approx. $300. That's $6 per box of 100. $30 per "brick" of 500.

I'll be grateful to get 'em and not too put off at the price. If it ever happens. ;)

IIRC, the retail price people have found at those stores who sell at non-scalping prices has been below $20 per 500 - when you can find it. Places like Bimart and Walmart.

OTOH, minimum wage was about $2/hr - if I was lucky enough to have a job - about half the time I wasn't. It took me 2 to 3 hours of working to buy a brick, now it takes me less than half an hour - if I were inclined to pay the current prices.
You make $200/hr? After taxes, you get $100 and a brick these days is around $50.

You make $200/hr? After taxes, you get $100 and a brick these days is around $50.
You can get rimfire ammo for under 6 cents per round (or $30 per 500 round brick) - probably cheaper if you are in the right place at the right time (Walmart or Bimart when a shipment comes in).

Not everybody pays the same taxes - some of us are able to avoid unnecessary taxes - I put a considerable amount of my income into various funds and don't have to pay tax on it on until I retire, at which time my tax bracket will be much much lower.

But yes, I make decent money - not $200/hr though, quite a bit less actually.

I hear a lot of people saying scalpers and horders are buying it all but the last time I looked every place that is reasonably priced has strict limits, so with that being said how can you hoard when you can only buy 1 500 rnd brick or 3 100 rnd packs that isn't what I would call hoarding.
I would have to agree more with the video. I just looked on the first 5 pages of rifles for sale there were 19 22s that's about five per page not counting the pistols and the hundreds of gun stores and web sites there are a lot of people buying these guns.
I remember a time not to long ago that I rarely seen other shooters in the woods now there are times I can't find a place to shoot because of the droves of people out there and I never seen the police ever!!!! Now one area every time I go and they always check for your forest pass what a joke we own the state forest not the state for that matter the federal land too which by the way you need a separate pass.
There is just a lot more people shooting and buying.
My 2 cents
Stacy:s0014:

I stopped by our local Bi-Mart recently. I asked about the last time they got a brick of .22lr in a shipment. He looked at me like I was crazy and said they haven't seen bricks in quite a while. What he offered, however, were 2 (and only 2) 50-round boxes of Remington Thunderbolt @ $2.99 per box. I politely told him "no thank you". I guess he didn't want me to clean them out (they had at least 9 boxes). Those boxes really should have been $1.99

I've heard a number of folks here state that they are finding the occasional brick of .22 at Bi-Mart - what magical Bi-Mart locations are these? Oregon City (2 employees) claimed they're not getting them. BS? Or just folks that don't have a clue?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top