JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unfortunately, even at scalper prices of up to $50 for 500 rounds, that's still a lot cheaper then any other factory loaded caliber.

The next thing in my arsenal would be a shotgun, 12ga and 20ga target shells can be had for around $.20/shot.

Next after that is 7.62x39 at $.23/round.

Any way you slice it, .22lr is cheaper. It's also easier on my shoulders so I can shoot all day vs a few hours.

All of you that are able/willing to wait out this price spike and low availability have my respect. I just am not one of those people though.

I do my best to stay in the .06-.08 per round on the .22 I do buy; I'm not .15 cent/round desperate.

Let's all get over it 22 this 22 that blah blah blah that is all I hear . I would say buy a different caliber till they figure it out and it is back on the shelfs . If you need a 22 for a new youth getting into shooting I understand but if it is not available what can you do cry about it some more ? I would suggest start shooting 223 it is out there and will not scare a new shooter getting into the sport heck put a muzzle brake on it so it will not kick as much! If everyone relaxes and quits buying all this overpriced 22 the dust will settle and things will work out .If a 22 is all you have for plinking or self defence get a single barrel 12 ga shelves are full of 12 ga ammo at Wal Mart . Thank you for letting me vent :)

Gun broker in tigard has a pile of usable as is old competition double barrel rifles for 99-150 if people want something cheap and fun. As said 12 ga is all over the shelves. I have considered buying one to have it cut down to a decent length and refinish the wood. Some are already plenty short for HD though. Just not the ones I want.

Unfortunately, even at scalper prices of up to $50 for 500 rounds, that's still a lot cheaper then any other factory loaded caliber.

The next thing in my arsenal would be a shotgun, 12ga and 20ga target shells can be had for around $.20/shot.

Next after that is 7.62x39 at $.23/round.

Any way you slice it, .22lr is cheaper. It's also easier on my shoulders so I can shoot all day vs a few hours.

All of you that are able/willing to wait out this price spike and low availability have my respect. I just am not one of those people though.

I do my best to stay in the .06-.08 per round on the .22 I do buy; I'm not .15 cent/round desperate.

It is cheaper and even though you can buy and shoot a shotgun cheap there is nothing more fun than some plinking with a .22 for me. As you said you can shoot all day and not hurt a bit.

Its totally scalpers.

At first I thought perhaps is was a tactical decision to "up" manufacturing for other products.. You know..time and labor for other "needed" calibers.. But after seeing the constant shelf rape at bimart I know its all scalpers and panic buyers.

I have been known to pick up a box if I see one, But I dont activly go hunting for it nor do I beg my woman to buy a box with/for me if I come across it. I had less than 500 rounds of the stuff 1-2 years ago and now have 3-5000 rounds all for standard shelf pre panic prices, Some boxes for even cheaper.

Panic buyers are suckers.. Its just .22, perhaps get you a box if you have none.. But after that, chill out.

However..Brass cased 7.62x39 is my "panic" buy. ;)

..It doesnt help that the new shooters are now conditioned to also pick up as much .22 as they can should they come accross any.

One day it'll be back to normal.
I see more and more on the shelf each month (before it sells out).
So thats a good sign. :)

It's always been fat, old hoarders. Retired dudes who can camp Bi-Mart and Walmart on deliver day.
:DYes, I am. But, two months ago, when three 50 round boxes arrived on the shelf, and the sales clerk said I could only buy two of them, I asked for one box. First box since 20o8. Was worth $2.99 to see jaws dropping. And now, to show my magnanimity, I will sell it to you for only 17 cents per.

So just how are you different than the people you are ragging about and blaming for causing the problem ?
1) As I implied (or even stated) - I won't clear the shelves - I will only buy if there is plenty for everyone to go around.

2) I won't turn around and sell - at any price. What I buy I will use. I could have made a 100 to 200% profit on the Black Talon - I bought a case of 500 45 ACP back in '93 right after the San Fran lawyer office shooting right before they took it off the public market. But I never did - I kept it for my personal use. I still have most of it.

3) I won't go out and buy my stock all at once - I will pick it up in reasonable amounts - a brick or two at a time, so that everybody has a chance to get some and not drive the price up.

4) I am not buying until the price comes down. The people I am ragging on either clear the shelves not giving another person a chance to get some, or they buy from the scalpers at any price, keeping the prices artificially high either way.

In short, I am not and I won't contribute to the problem.

Does that answer your question?

Or do I have to explain it further?? :rolleyes:

FWIW - the bulk ammo rimfire ammo I have (not speciality ammo), mostly Blazer or Remington Golden, I have never paid more than about $13 per 500 brick - or less than 3 cents per round.

Whenever I saw it for sale below the going price, I would pick up a brick or two (this was long before the current panic buying). I wish I knew this was going to happen, I would have bought a lot more when it was plentiful, and this is why, when it is again plentiful, and it will be eventually, maybe in a year or so, I will buy a brick or two a week until I am back above 10K rounds - at least.

But I won't buy any more until it comes down well below $20 per 500.

Why buy rimfire when you can get centerfire for cheap too?

Well, as someone pointed out, even at scalper prices, it is still cheaper.

And rimfire is fun to shoot - I enjoy shooting my rimfires more than my centerfires. I always warm up with rimfire, then shoot some centerfire to keep in practice, then I go back to the rimfire and have fun.

It is low recoil, low noise, less worry about backstops, and I like it because I can just practice my technique without dealing with recoil and noise.

It is fun trying to see how far you can stretch out the maximum range and hit something consistently (I used to shoot 200 meter steel silhouette with an old Marlin bolt action with peep sights). And you worry less about burning up ammo because it is so cheap.

I've always preferred rimfire over centerfire.

Moreover, it is good stuff to have for survival and SHTF - light to carry 50 to 100 rounds, the firearms are lighter too, quiet, less meat damage, accurate enough for what I want to do.

Also makes for good bartering. Everybody, especially preppers, should have at least one rimfire, preferably several, and plenty of ammo. Rimfires are the one firearm that I have almost one of each action type - semi rifle, bolt, revolver, break open rimfire/shotgun combos, takedown, 3 semi pistols. I don't have a single action revolver - but I want one - a Ruger Hunter Convertible. I don't have a lever action, but I want one. You can never have too many rimfires.

Oh I hoarded so hard back during the 13 dollar a brick sales they had once a month at bi mart. 2 bricks or maybe even 3. I was out of control keeping 10-12k rds at all times minimum. So glad the government came in with its intervention to rid me of my "clutter".

FWIW - the bulk ammo rimfire ammo I have (not speciality ammo), mostly Blazer or Remington Golden, I have never paid more than about $13 per 500 brick - or less than 3 cents per round.

Whenever I saw it for sale below the going price, I would pick up a brick or two (this was long before the current panic buying). I wish I knew this was going to happen, I would have bought a lot more when it was plentiful, and this is why, when it is again plentiful, and it will be eventually, maybe in a year or so, I will buy a brick or two a week until I am back above 10K rounds - at least.

But I won't buy any more until it comes down well below $20 per 500.

Why buy rimfire when you can get centerfire for cheap too?

Well, as someone pointed out, even at scalper prices, it is still cheaper.

And rimfire is fun to shoot - I enjoy shooting my rimfires more than my centerfires. I always warm up with rimfire, then shoot some centerfire to keep in practice, then I go back to the rimfire and have fun.

It is low recoil, low noise, less worry about backstops, and I like it because I can just practice my technique without dealing with recoil and noise.

It is fun trying to see how far you can stretch out the maximum range and hit something consistently (I used to shoot 200 meter steel silhouette with an old Marlin bolt action with peep sights). And you worry less about burning up ammo because it is so cheap.

I've always preferred rimfire over centerfire.

Moreover, it is good stuff to have for survival and SHTF - light to carry 50 to 100 rounds, the firearms are lighter too, quiet, less meat damage, accurate enough for what I want to do.

Also makes for good bartering. Everybody, especially preppers, should have at least one rimfire, preferably several, and plenty of ammo. Rimfires are the one firearm that I have almost one of each action type - semi rifle, bolt, revolver, break open rimfire/shotgun combos, takedown, 3 semi pistols. I don't have a single action revolver - but I want one - a Ruger Hunter Convertible. I don't have a lever action, but I want one. You can never have too many rimfires.

I would give it a second like since you asked if they wanted it explained further and did so anyhow but for some reason I can only like it twice. So here is my second like to a fellow "hoarder".

I get squirrelly if I drop below 10k on my .22's. However, I also shoot 2k a month during the summer months.

Even stocked up, I have a hard time passing up anything less then the $25 a brick price range when it comes available.

It's gotten me in some hot water more then once, but when I see people trying to gouge others at $60/brick I'm very glad I'm not some poor feller with none and a hankering to go shooting with kids or just for the love of .22's.

I have an adequate supply of .22lr plus 2,000 rounds of .22 WRF and 500 rounds of match grade .22 short all purchased before the latest panic. The .22 WRF I purchased to use in my .22 mag guns as it has the same relationship to .22 mag as .38 special does to .357 mag. It is now unobtainium, as the last run of this was run 4-5 years ago and in the current climate there is none in the near future. There are a lot of old guns chambered for this .22 variant and also .22 auto that are unusable because of no ammo available for them. I only wish I had bought more of the match grade .22 short, they would work well in black powder .22 short guns. Pull the bullets-dump the powder-fill with black powder and reseat the bullets and you have a black powder .22 round f0r thousands of black powder .22 short guns that are unusable because of no ammo available for them. People used to be able to buy .22 primed cases but none have been available for a long time now. I like Joe13 could have sold ammo at a hefty profit but I refuse to. I will however pick up a brick or two of .22 at a reasonable price if I can find it, but so far I have not run across any in the past year or two, the scalpers have beaten me to it.

The entire shooting public has been conditioned to buy any and all .22LR that hits a shelf whether they need it or even want it. Sure there is a chunk of guys buying it hoping to stick it to someone else but there is also a lot of normal folks who in the past would have been happy to have a box or two at home and now would buy 10 bricks at the drop of a dime given the chance.

There will come a day, I suspect no more than a year down the road, Where there will be so much 22 held in the hands of the shooting public that the shelves will stay full, the price will fall and everybody will wonder what the big deal was. The only reason why .22LR is still absent from the shelf and the .223/5.56 and everything else is back is demand. Its cheap enough that EVERYBODY can buy some even at $40 a brick. $80/1000 compared VS $350/thousand for .223 is still within in range of your average joe. Not to mention there has to be half as many .22LR guns as there are other calibers combined. Just about every gun owner has a least a couple.

Of course its self inflicted and of course if you could convince EVERYONE to just stop rattholing more than what they need for even this year the situation would soon equalize. But that is not how the real world works. We are emotional critters who act irrationally even when we know better. Even as things are today no one who wants to shoot a .22 is going without. Worst case the guy has to pony up $50 for a brick of ammo which should be enough for his family to plink for a couple of weekends. No body likes it but everybody is responsible, Those of us who have ammo would most likely by more if we saw it on the shelf ( I have enough .22LR that me, my family, my friends and there family could burn though it for a year and still have some left over and If I saw a brick on the shelf for $20 or less Id still buy it and 99% of you guys would too)

I really have been out of the loop, I have been kind of hearing how bad the .22 situation was but it didn't really effect me as I was not out burning up ammo or in the market for more. I knew 6-8 months ago it was hard to get and honestly the last few weeks when I kind of stuck my head back in the situation I was surprised its still so scarce. The last time I was really paying attention was right after Sandy Hook and $700 AR's where $2000 and .223 was a buck a round. Well $700 AR's are now $500 AR's and there is .223 stacked deep at Walmart and everyplace else.

Personally I think the only reason they equalized first is because they are big enough money that it kept most people from speculating in the market. When you have a commodity that is in a bubble that is priced such that everyone can participate in the run before the crash it can run a lot farther and higher..... But eventually they all crash. In all the ammo and gun bubbles I have talked about taking profits and selling to a sucker... But I never have. In the end it simply doesn't matter to me. The way I look at it is If I turned the ammo into dollars then what do I do with the dollars that was better than the ammo? I then talk myself out of worrying about selling for the high price (And then 6 months or a year later kick myself when the prices crash and I can buy 3 AR's for what I could have sold one for)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top