JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think senzriich meant that the match dragged, but expressed concern that it might start to do so if it continues to grow in popularity as it has been doing. I hope I'm not putting words into his mouth!

I think a 3:30 end time is perfect, it still allows other things to be done on match days. I know that when I was shooting OTC highpower matches one of the biggest reasons folks would NOT come out to those and only shoot the short range matches was that it was a very long day.

Additionally, if we want to keep it kid friendly ... all day matches are pretty hard for kids to keep attention and enthusiasm, especially if there is a lot of down time.

It was great how many folks pitched in to tear down the range. Now that the precedence is set, if we all try and focus on modeling this behavior it will become part of the matches "culture" and there should never be a reason for Ben and crew to touch a target at the end of the day!

Just thinking here.

I noticed that Maggie Rowe placed higher than Donna. Are the youth Shooters not able to get top woman, man, overall Etc?
I noticed that too....also noticed my time is wrong ( I came up with a shorter time and rechecked it several times) but figured oh well.
Not sure how it works with youth, woman, overall etc but I would think we don't cross categories. I'm sure Ben can clarify.

Dragging???
Dude, we had 63 shooters and we were done by, what, 3:30? That includes everything that comes with the event such as working through equipment issues and getting new shooters comfortable with the process. Not to mention setting up and tearing everything down.
Not to mention the most important part of the whole thing-lunch!

I noticed that too....also noticed my time is wrong ( I came up with a shorter time and rechecked it several times) but figured oh well.
Not sure how it works with youth, woman, overall etc but I would think we don't cross categories. I'm sure Ben can clarify.

Ack! :oops:

When I look for Top Lady/Top Youth, I look for the pink stripe. Maggie wasn't flagged as either youth or lady. Maggie was the rightful Top Lady by .91 So sorry for the error. I'll make it up to Maggie.

What time was wrong? Was that a data entry error on my part? Stop watches are not the most accurate way to keep score. Add in trying to read handwriting and then human error with data entry... That's why I try to keep things as light and fun as possible. It's also why I haven't really pursued a sanctioned match with big prizes like firearms.

I noticed that Maggie Rowe placed higher than Donna. Are the youth Shooters not able to get top woman, man, overall Etc?

My 'criteria' for winners is:
1> fastest combined score for pistol and rifle is overall champion
2> Top youth/lady is fastest combined score for pistol and rifle in each category that didn't win overall champion
3> Top Pistol is fastest pistol score that didn't win overall champion, top lady or top youth
4> Top Rifle is fastest rifle score that didn't win overall champion, top lady, top youth or top pistol

First pick on the prize table goes to overall champion. I then try to go in time order, faster shooters get the next pick.

Ack! :oops:

When I look for Top Lady/Top Youth, I look for the pink stripe. Maggie wasn't flagged as either youth or lady. Maggie was the rightful Top Lady by .91 So sorry for the error. I'll make it up to Maggie.

What time was wrong? Was that a data entry error on my part? Stop watches are not the most accurate way to keep score. Add in trying to read handwriting and then human error with data entry... That's why I try to keep things as light and fun as possible. It's also why I haven't really pursued a sanctioned match with big prizes like firearms.
Then Maggie should be top winner! I am more than happy to bring the medal for her at the next match July 14. Then we can duke it out for top lady! Time entered was wrong for one of the pistol stages. Tossed it in the garbage yesterday and it went away today :( Don't remember the discrepancy amount (I think it was .6 second) but this is for fun and nothing else so I didn't worry about it.

My 'criteria' for winners is:
1> fastest combined score for pistol and rifle is overall champion
2> Top youth/lady is fastest combined score for pistol and rifle in each category that didn't win overall champion
3> Top Pistol is fastest pistol score that didn't win overall champion, top lady or top youth
4> Top Rifle is fastest rifle score that didn't win overall champion, top lady, top youth or top pistol

First pick on the prize table goes to overall champion. I then try to go in time order, faster shooters get the next pick.
So top lady and top youth are combined? And if you win top lady and have the fastest pistol time, you don't win fastest pistol time but only top lady? Confusing!
BTW, ever thought of adding an old people category, also known as senior? :)

No, not combined "in each category that didn't win" - basically want there to be a unique winner for each category.

I've had a few request a 'Senior' class; Top Old Fart, Top Crusty, Ancient One ??? Top Senior I suppose is the safest. 65+? I'm open to input.

No, not combined "in each category that didn't win" - basically want there to be a unique winner for each category.

I've had a few request a 'Senior' class; Top Old Fart, Top Crusty, Ancient One ??? Top Senior I suppose is the safest. 65+? I'm open to input.
It's all about having fun, so no need to be safe :) We are old and we admit it. I like Ancient One.

I don't think senzriich meant that the match dragged, but expressed concern that it might start to do so if it continues to grow in popularity as it has been doing. I hope I'm not putting words into his mouth!

I think a 3:30 end time is perfect, it still allows other things to be done on match days. I know that when I was shooting OTC highpower matches one of the biggest reasons folks would NOT come out to those and only shoot the short range matches was that it was a very long day.

Additionally, if we want to keep it kid friendly ... all day matches are pretty hard for kids to keep attention and enthusiasm, especially if there is a lot of down time.

It was great how many folks pitched in to tear down the range. Now that the precedence is set, if we all try and focus on modeling this behavior it will become part of the matches "culture" and there should never be a reason for Ben and crew to touch a target at the end of the day!

Just thinking here.

You are correct. The event went just fine, but I think we are nearing the maximum attendance given the number of stations and current setup. I still remember the first time when the event wasn't divided into squads. Some people left without getting a chance to shoot and some only were able to shoot only one of the disciplines. Ben is a fast learner and knows what works.

Dumb question here from a new guy.
What position do you shoot the targets from? Is this similar to a 3 gun type match or is it like PRS shooting or something other?

Hello new guy! <grin>

Shooting is from the ready in the standing position. Shooters stand between two 55 gallon drums and stay in place for the entire string. No drawing, moving, etc. Simple and straightforward and lot's of fun.

Come on out to the last match of the year. It's a great time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top