JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a Ruger SP101 in .22LR. I absolutely love that gun. I use it as an understudy to my SP101 in .357 magnum. Same frame, trigger, weight and grips. It's probably not the least expensive revolver out there, but it's built like a tank and will last forever (with a little oil). The grips are small for smaller girly type hands and you can get larger aftermarket grips for teaching the big guys on the cheap. It also comes with excellent high visibility adjustable sights perfect for teaching proper sight picture and alignment. You can also shoot .22CB, .22 shorts and .22 LR out of it. It's a little spendy($600), sure, but check one out. I think you'll be impressed.

I recommend double action because you can teach skills in DA and SA. And DA mimics most bigger revolvers.

Dozens of people have learned to safely handle, aim, shoot, reload, and run patches through my little peashooter. I got it used for $40. I'm sure it would be a lot more now, but bargains surface now and then when you're not in a huge hurry - or even looking. I seldom shoot it, but it's my go-to piece for noobs.

Without breaking the bank on a learning tool, any solid condition used 6 or 9-shot revolver like the H&R 929 should do the trick. Scuffs, thin bluing or cracked grips? Who cares?

Same thing goes for older .22 rifles if they're not collectors.

I have a couple S&W 617 revolvers.......hard to beat them for a double action low cost (at least in ammo costs) alternative to their centerfire big brothers. I have the 6 shot as well as the 10 shot versions. I got them when used ones were in the $400 range and felt that was a lot for a rimfire revolver considering that was what the .357 versions were going for as well. Have no regrets getting them as they are a lot of fun and let me practice doube action firing at rimfire prices. Great when I am out of my .38 Spl reloads for the S&W 686!!

I would buy Heritage Rough Rider's 22 revolvers. You can buy 2 or 3 for the price of one Ruger and 4 to 6 for the price of a S&W. Sure they won't last a hundred years but they will last longer than I will live(currently62). I have one and I am currently looking for more, esp the .32 version. A no frills gun that goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I have owned 3 Ruger revolvers in the past and have sold every one of them.

If you want to save money, go looking for an H&R Model 922 with a 4" barrel. These shoot reasonably well, and are economically feasible to boot. I have one, and it shoots quite well. (It's not likely to wear out anytime soon.)

Scott

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top