Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

22 revolver

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by tahoe2, Feb 23, 2013.

1. tahoe2

tahoe2 Seattle area, Washington state Member

looking for an economically priced 22 revolver for training newbies before stepping them up to heavier calibers.
    Any and all suggestions welcome !!

2. deadeyed

deadeyed Eugene Oregon Member

I've got a Ruger SP101 in .22LR. I absolutely love that gun. I use it as an understudy to my SP101 in .357 magnum. Same frame, trigger, weight and grips. It's probably not the least expensive revolver out there, but it's built like a tank and will last forever (with a little oil). The grips are small for smaller girly type hands and you can get larger aftermarket grips for teaching the big guys on the cheap. It also comes with excellent high visibility adjustable sights perfect for teaching proper sight picture and alignment. You can also shoot .22CB, .22 shorts and .22 LR out of it. It's a little spendy($600), sure, but check one out. I think you'll be impressed.

3. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Ruger single six is loved by everyone that shoots it. Can't go wrong and you can pick them up on here for $350.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  4. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

deleted my last post. Stupid me - you said REVOLVER! (Can't seem to read tonight)

5. mattg521

mattg521 portland.,or Member

Ruger Single Six. End of discussion.

6. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Taurus has a convertible .22 LR / .22 Mag set of cylinders and you can find them fo $500 or so

7. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Taurus 9 shot double action, teach both ways of firing and more shots between reloads. I have one, I love it.

8. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

watch out for firing pin contact when dry firing some of these guns.. My D.A. taurus needs snap caps or it will peen the edge of the cyl.

9. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I recommend double action because you can teach skills in DA and SA. And DA mimics most bigger revolvers.

Dozens of people have learned to safely handle, aim, shoot, reload, and run patches through my little peashooter. I got it used for $40. I'm sure it would be a lot more now, but bargains surface now and then when you're not in a huge hurry - or even looking. I seldom shoot it, but it's my go-to piece for noobs.

Without breaking the bank on a learning tool, any solid condition used 6 or 9-shot revolver like the H&R 929 should do the trick. Scuffs, thin bluing or cracked grips? Who cares?

Same thing goes for older .22 rifles if they're not collectors.

10. Sheldon

Sheldon California Member

I have a couple S&W 617 revolvers.......hard to beat them for a double action low cost (at least in ammo costs) alternative to their centerfire big brothers. I have the 6 shot as well as the 10 shot versions. I got them when used ones were in the $400 range and felt that was a lot for a rimfire revolver considering that was what the .357 versions were going for as well. Have no regrets getting them as they are a lot of fun and let me practice doube action firing at rimfire prices. Great when I am out of my .38 Spl reloads for the S&W 686!!

11. Papercidal

Papercidal Vancouver ,Wa Active Member

I picked up a old k22 masterpiece in rough cosmetic but perfect mechanical shape for around 350 I think it is the best purchase I have made to date.

taroman, GED, jbett98 and 3 others like this.
  12. twowheels

twowheels portland, OR Active Member

I picked up a used S & W .22-32. Beautiful smaller 4" revolver that is a joy to shoot and will only increase in value.

13. Gaucho Gringo

Gaucho Gringo Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I would buy Heritage Rough Rider's 22 revolvers. You can buy 2 or 3 for the price of one Ruger and 4 to 6 for the price of a S&W. Sure they won't last a hundred years but they will last longer than I will live(currently62). I have one and I am currently looking for more, esp the .32 version. A no frills gun that goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I have owned 3 Ruger revolvers in the past and have sold every one of them.

14. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

+1 for DA if it's intended as a training tool.

15. Gunfan

Gunfan Vancouver Member

If you want to save money, go looking for an H&R Model 922 with a 4" barrel. These shoot reasonably well, and are economically feasible to boot. I have one, and it shoots quite well. (It's not likely to wear out anytime soon.)

Scott