JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Question;

I'm just getting into '22 shooting, and have a Ruger that looks like a mark ll or lll, but is not labeled as such.

It just says RUGER in big letters, then says 22 cal long rifle, under that it says automatic pistol, both lines in small print

What do I have here?

If it is not marked then it is an original mk 1.

I own the same and it isn't marked other then .22lr.

Question;

I'm just getting into '22 shooting, and have a Ruger that looks like a mark ll or lll, but is not labeled as such.

It just says RUGER in big letters, then says 22 cal long rifle, under that it says automatic pistol, both lines in small print

What do I have here?

If it looks just like the 'mark' pistols it's the first version and doesn't have a designation except 'standard'
here's more
<broken link removed>

Thanks for your replies:s0145::s0151::s0069:

I wondered about that 9 round mag :confused:

I don't shoot it much at all, so unless it is a "valuable" collectors item, which it doesn't seem to be, I will probably sell it soon.

I like the newer ruger 22's better, and I don't have 50 more years until it gets "almost as valuable as it was new.............:cool::D".

Thanks again everyone!!:D:D:D

I don't own any .22 pistols other than a conversion kit for a glock but for a .22 hand gun I challenge anyone to find one that is as good a shooter as my ugly beat up '48 smith and wesson k22 masterpiece.

Beautiful, I love those Colts.......but will it handle modern .22 ammo? And have you priced mags for those Colt Woodsmans?

I don't know why it wouldn't handle modern 22lr? The barrel is certainly heavy enough. It doesn't feed dependably all the time, from what I hear that's not uncommon due to the mag spring. It was dads I have the original box, paperwork, brush and extra grip pieces. I dated it to 1949-1950. I haven't shot it much, it's a REAL PIA to take apart for cleaning.

I don't own any .22 pistols other than a conversion kit for a glock but for a .22 hand gun I challenge anyone to find one that is as good a shooter as my ugly beat up '48 smith and wesson k22 masterpiece.
I had a 22mag and traded it to a friend. He loved the thing but the tolerances were so tight ,you had to clean it every other cylinder.
Man was that gun accurate.

SR22 is top on my list for reliability, eats everything you feed it, and accuracy (fixed barrel). Love the DA/SA
Ruger SP101 revolver (8 shot kit gun) - very solid & accurate
Ruger Mark III SS
SW 1911 with an Advantage Arms conversion

What I don't like about them is that ammo is so hard to find because of all the folks trying to hoard a lifetime's supply of it...
Here is where I get a lot of my ammo. Super clean burning, high quality from the largest European small arms ammunition manufacturer RUAG <broken link removed>

I will post this also in a separate thread.

I wish!
Nah, I was looking at their 338LM, 308Win, 40S&W & stuff. With the member discount (looks around 16%), seems it's reasonable given the cost of quality ammo.
I'm just living in the old days, when I thought $12 for a box of 20 7mm was expensive, which is why I got into reloading in the first place....

First choice, minty Colt 3rd Series Woodsman Target (high cost but worth every penny). Very accurate and reliable with a great trigger, well balanced, and sweet to shoot. A bit tricky to field strip the first time, but you'll quickly get the hang of it. Buy yourself a couple of extra sear springs from Sarco, as this is the most likely part to get damaged if you put it back together wrong.
2nd Choice, S&W Model 41 (also pricey, but extra barrels can be had relatively cheaply including ones fit for scope or red dot mounting). Very accurate and reliable with a great trigger. I have had no ammo reliability issues with mine as long as I get quality ammo. It was designed to shoot standard velocity CCI most reliably.
3rd Choice, Ruger MKII 5.5 inch bull barrel in stainless steel, retrofit with the Volquartsen match trigger group (trigger, sear, hammer, etc). The trigger kit is relatively cheap and simple to install yourself, and makes a big difference in accuracy. Stay away from MKIII with magazine disconnect, which adversely affects the quality of trigger pull obtainable with the gun.

For a revolver 1st choice is S&W model 17 (K-22) with a 6 inch barrel (model 617 in stainless). Pricey, but accurate. Second choice would be a Colt Diamondback with 4 or 6 inch barrel--nice gun- cylinder locks up like the Python. 3rd choice would be Ruger Single Six with a longish 6.5+ inch barrel.

But thats just my opinion. Remember, most often you get what you pay for.

I'm a big fan of the High Standard pistols. Started off with a plaiin jane 101, and then added 2 of the HD Military pistols, one in 4 and the other with a 6 inch barrel. All of them have just fantastic triggers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top