JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Buckmark is simple to clean, maintain carry and shoots bullseye accurate. Great price, lots of parts and accessories available too, although the only things I've bought for it were more magazines and a holster. I really like the camper model.

I agree. I have a Buckmark and really like it for the reasons identified. I also have a number of ruger Mark II that I enjoy. Overall, the buckmark probably gets the nod due to ease of stripping, trigger pull, and versatility (changing barrel configurations). I really don't think you can go wrong with a Mark II though.

I have 3 buck marks mine the wives and the daughters. All function great with all variations of .22 you can up grade here and there. I do have a Ruger 22/45 which I like but have not put that much into it. it seems a little more finicky with ammo.

I love my little Ruger SR22!! :D the rubber grip is a sweet hold, it's quite accurate, and feeds without choking on anything...o_O
It's grown on me faster than my Walther P22....:rolleyes:
This ^^^ we have 2 ruger sr22 they are the most fun to shoot easy and accurate. My only complaint is that I didn't get the threaded bbl now have to spend more money.

Another fan of the buck mark. It was my first new gun purchase 25 years ago and I still have it and shoot it almost every time I go out. The trigger is better than any other gun I have. I bought my daughter one a few of years ago and it's all she likes to shoot (the trigger on hers is not nearly as nice - but she only has a couple thousand rounds through hers). A 22/45 has come and gone, a nice Mark III was around for a few years, a very picky early Walther P22 that didn't last a couple of months, a GSG 1911 I've kept (but rarely shoot) - but the Buck Mark has been the .22 pistol winner at my house.

Have fun w/ the hunt!

Ruger mark anything for price point vs value.

If you advance as a shooter you can always upgrade the barrel and trigger.

+1 on the Rugers. I've owned a few and currently own a Mark III with a bull barrel, fiber optic front sight and Volquartsen trigger that is a sweet shooter. I also owned an M&P 22, which was also a fantastic gun. I'd love to try the new compact model.

Another vote for SR22s. It seems once you buy one, they multiply on you. We have one for me, one for my wife, and one for my daughter. Comfortable to shoot and will eat anything you put in it reliably. Love this little pistol. Another one that I have is the Heritage Arms Rough Rider single action revolver with a 6" inch barrel. I got it on Black Friday for under $100 and it is very accurate and reliable. The fun factor shooting this gun is Off the Charts :)

My SR22 is just about the most comfortable pistol ive ever held and is not picky about ammo. Now just need to cough up the dough to take advantage of that threaded barrel.

Love my ruger sr22! Like others have said, gun don't care what kind of ammo you feed it.

uploadfromtaptalk1423777548139.jpg

Can't comment on the Buckmark, don't own one. Don't remember shooting one either. I do know folks that have them give them good reviews.

I do have Rugers, a mark I, several mark IIs plus a clone, 2 22/45s and a SR22. And plan to buy a mark III Hunter at some point. I prefer the mark IIs, no magazine disconnect like the mark III. No complaints on my SR22, just the mark series have longer barrels & sight radius (sp?) so they are better for plinking. I have a red dot on one of the 22/45s and one yet to put on the other one. That second one has the fiber optic/V notch sights and to me they are not as accurate as the Ruger adjustable sights. So it is gettting a red dot.

Local prices tend to be reasonable on the mark IIs. Most guys that want one have one. So you can find deals. I usually check out used Rugers when I see them.

I often carry a Walther p22 because it's small and reliable (even for a rimfire). It also fits my desert eagle sized hands suprizingly well.

But it's not a target shooter... Although it is a good plinker.

If I was never going to carry a .22, Id pick an actual target pistol like the ruger marks or buckmark etc, over a p22 - sr22 - m&p22 etc.

You will shoot better with it, guaranteed.

Are you now, or have you ever been a 1911 person? If so, look at the Ruger 22/45
matches grip angle, etc. That could be a deciding factor.
Or, Maybe a .22lr conversion is right for you.

Now, do you have a secret source of 22LR ..... inquiring minds are looking for a ready, local supply.

IIRC, the buckmark also shares some general similarities to the 1911, including similar grip angle (or at least more similar than the Ruger Mark series) and similar type/position of controls (mag release, slide release, and safety). Probably not as similar to a 1911 as the 22/45, where you can put 1911 grips on the removable grip models, but I am less familiar with these. I have held a 22/45 a few times, but not added one to the arsenal yet as I am partial to metal over the composites. Nothing wrong with composite materials, just my personal preference is more old school.

I miss my Colt New Frontier - and thats all I have to say about that! I owned a Buckmark and ditto on all the positives - it shot flawlessly and probably bullseye accuracy. The only thing I did NOT like about it was the barrel screw kept coming loose on mine but some locktite would have fixed that. If I were going to get a semi .22 pistol again though I would go for the Mark III Hunter. I prefer the weight and the overall quality which I believes trumps the Buckmark. With regard to small frame semi .22s I typically do not care for most of what is available new but while looking for a Walther PPK/S in .22 several years ago I happened on a Bersa 644. This is an all steel small frame gun but if you ever see one of these for sale buy it. Mine is in excellent condition and has the smoothest, glass-like action of ANY semi I have ever owned. Mags are a little hard to find but are out there. It has a nice grip and the weight of it gives it a nice feel. I digress however as it is not a gun you are just going to go out an buy so it really isn't something that can be recommended with regard to your interest in a new .22 but I thought I would mention it.

If you like tweaking and plan on using a suppressor, the Ruger 22/45 is a great choice. After some tuning up it is very easy to get along with and uses about any ammo.

Your OP didn't say what the purpose of this pistol is going to be. Kind of like saying, I need a saw, what's a good one? :)

I have always had a fondness for the Hamden CT. High Standard Victors and Supermatic Citations from the early '70's.

The Smith Model 41's are pretty but ammo-picky. Search for "extractor problems" for more on that one.

For reliability many would pick a well-tuned Ruger. You may wind up with both.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top