JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a goal of one day buying a good quality suppressor and a decent, accurate .22 pistol with proper threading and sights for use with a suppressor.

But here's my question:

It seems that with short-barreled handguns, muzzle blast and noise is greatly increased. At the same time, a shorter barrel, especially with a can hanging off the end, seems like it would balance better in the hand.

For those of you who actually own suppressed .22 semi-autos, is it better to go with, say a 6" or longer barrel, or is it just as quiet and accurate to shoot a pistol with a 4" barrel?

Secondary question: What is your recommended ideal setup? Please include gun, can, and favorite ammo.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 200539

Browning Buckmark w/ 4" TacSol barrel. A shorter barrel keeps ammo that would "push the envelope" subsonic.

Gemtech Outback 2.

Wolf Match Target Ammo.

Can't speak for other setups, but I'm pleased with this one. Size and weight feel just right.

As stated, keep the barrel on the shorter side, so everything stays quiet.

A nice lite combo, Warlock, Pac-Lite upper 4.5" barrel. :cool:

DSCI0398.jpg

A Sub 5" barrel will make even the bulk high velocity .22 ammo subsonic.

If you go higher, with a 6" or so it will go supersonic, unless you buy standard or subsonic ammo. This can have cycling problems in some pistols.

For cheap suppressed fun, I like to use 4-4.5" barrels.

Nearly all sights on these guns will clear a suppressor.

I use a setup similar to coyote223's above, a TacSol 2211 conversion kit, and a CZ Kadet that all work well. All have <5" barrels.

If you get a buckmark and supppress it, then it is very easy to change the barrel. I have 4, 5.5 and 10 inch barrels for my buckmark. The longer 10" barrel is of course less noisy when suppressed and I need to shoot it from a sandbag to be accurate. Compared to the weight of the pistol, the silencer is nothing. Pick a barrel length you are comfortable with. +1 what NoAim said about velocities.

Ranb

Most people I've heard from who get a longer barrel and suppress it wish they had gotten a shorter barrel to keep cheap ammo subsonic and make a shorter overall package.
I'd like to do a buckmark or MkII eventually but currently have a walter P22 (short one) and a threaded ceiner 22lr conversion for my 1911 that are used with the can. The 1911 conv. sometimes gets supersonic cracks out of bulk ammo, the P22 stays subsonic.

P.S. both of those pistols wear standard sights and have no problem seeing over the suppressor. I think thats more of a problem on 9mm and .45 cans. Also 22lr cans are very light so the weight isn't really noticed much but I suppose it does balance better on a short barrel.

The shorter, the better. My Walther with a 3.4" barrel is quieter than my 4.5" Mark 2. Suppressors are evil, and addictive. I need another fix. Hey Coyote223, a fine pistol you've got there. Where did you get the grips?

Seems that Buckmarks have the advantage with suppressors in terms of the ease of barrel change. Any reason(s) to prefer the Ruger .22s, other than ergonomics/personal preference?

I've owned two different Buckmarks in the past, great pistols, love the trigger. I've toyed with the idea of going with the Ruger Mk. series, but haven't found a good reason yet.

I picked a Ruger, because that is what my dad has. Plus the mark 2's have all kinds of aftermarket parts available to them. I have no experience with the Buckmarks, although a few friends have them and love them. Never heard anything bad about a Buckmark, just going with what I know.

The only bad experience I had with my Buckmark was trying to install a Volquartsen aftermarket barrel on it. The barrel lug was a different shape than that on the factory barrel and it would not sit in the frame properly. The holes drilled for the scope mount would not align with the mount they provided. Volquartsen offered to alter my frame to fit the barrel, but I declined. I sent it back after they offered a refund (no shipping refunded each way), but I had to write and call for over a month before they refunded me, and that was only after I threatened to reverse the charges on my credit card.

I tried a Volquartsen supplier, but that barrel would not fit either. Does anyone here use a Volquartsen barrel on their Buckmark?

Ranb

I went with Pat's advice at Oregon Research Labs LLC and had my Ruger Mk III bull barrel turned down to 4.5". Now everything I shoot is subsonic, even CCI Velocitors. My SWR Warlock is almost the same diameter as the barrel, so the sights still work. Or they would work, anyway, if I took off the red dot.

This is my only fixed-barrel pistol, and I can't believe how accurately I can shoot it. The first time I picked one up that some random guy let me shoot, I was making cans dance 40 yds. away, offhand. So that's why I put up with all the disassembly/reassembly monkey business the the Rugers are infamous for: it's dead-nuts on.

BTW, I'd recommend Oregon Research Labs LLC in Vernonia to anybody and everybody who'll listen.

Seems that Buckmarks have the advantage with suppressors in terms of the ease of barrel change. Any reason(s) to prefer the Ruger .22s, other than ergonomics/personal preference?

I've owned two different Buckmarks in the past, great pistols, love the trigger. I've toyed with the idea of going with the Ruger Mk. series, but haven't found a good reason yet.

The Rugers are reportedly a little quieter than the Buckmarks.

My favorite is the Buckmark (no FFL required to get a TacSol barrel), although I just got this GSG 1911. Looks and feels like a 1911, which is a complaint I have with most .22s, they just don't feel like a real gun. The GSG has good accuracy, a nice trigger and familiar controls (if you are familiar with 1911's). It was also the cheapest to make suppressor ready ($360 total) of all my .22 suppressor ready pistols (Buckmark, Charger, Sig Mosquito).
BTW, my suppressor is a SWR Warlock, I wish I'd sprung for a Spectre, for the "take apart" ability.
DSC01553.jpg

I have had 2 different Bowers cans on my 3.4" Wather P-22. No problems. They where both quieter than the same cans on a Ruger MkII with a 4.5" pac lite barrel.

Plastic on Plastic cycling is generally quieter than metal on metal. But then, that's why Rugers keep going and going long after P22s fall apart.

So far I like the Smith and Wesson 422 the best, better then the Ruger or Walther. Most accurate and reliable. And with a 6'' barell the OAL is not that much because the barrel sits lower. Looking to add a 1911 Conversion in the near future with a threaded barrel, but haven't had the time to narrow down which one yet.

But I have right now a S&W 422 6" and a Walther P22 3.4" and a Silencerco Sparrow to hang of the front.

Plastic on Plastic cycling is generally quieter than metal on metal. But then, that's why Rugers keep going and going long after P22s fall apart.
I am confused by your comment. As I have both the 3.4 and 5" barrels for the Walther. I have not had problems with the Walther falling apart and I shoot it more than my 10 1/2" MkII.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top