JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to buy a 22 pistol for a suppressor host. I have been looking at the Ruger 22/45, sr-22, & Browning buck mark.

Anyone have any feedback on these? Ones to stay away from, must have, etc.

Thanks guys

I really like my 22/45 Lite as a host for my C3 Clandestine and YHM mite.
It is very accurate, quiet, and fun.
Be prepared to step your cleaning schedule, though, while running suppressed. They get dirty and stop running much quicker.
As you know, the Ruger 22/45 and that family of pistols can be kind of annoying to reassemble after disassembly for cleaning, so take that into consideration.
I put a Volquartzen trigger on mine as I wasn't happy with the factory one, and run a Burris Fastfire II optic.

I've got both the 22/45 lite and the SR-22, the sr-22 is more of a fun gun with a laser and suppressor, the 22/45 shoot great after trigger ,mag release and LRI mods.
P1010001_zps6b76b50e.jpg

I went a slightly different route then most folks.
On the advise of a good friend that's a crack pistol shot, he told to me years ago to never sell a pistol that you could point, aim and hit a target without looking down the sights.
This old High Standard Sport King fits me perfectly.
I can chase a can down the road with ease and the original sights are just tall enough to acquire more distant targets.
I really like the way the barrel just slips off the front of the frame for easy cleaning and while I was waiting for my tax stamp to show up, I dropped off the barrel at Tornado Technologies for threading.
Hi Standard 003.JPG Hi Standard 005.JPG

Last Edited:
I will take a closer look at the 22/45. I held one at Sportsmans and noticed the mag is sticky. I usually don't leave my stuff stock so trigger, barrel, mag release would all prob be swapped out.

As far as shooting suppressed how many rounds before it starts malfunctioning?

Is the take down as hard as I've read?

I've had my 10-22 apart completely (trigger group, safety out) several times and can put it together with relative ease. (If it compares at all)

22/45's have a magazine safey, that is what prevents the mag from dropping free. Remove the magazine safety and the gun will have a better trigger, fire with magazine removed, and the mags will drop free.

For .22 suppressor hosts I have a Browning Buckmark, M&P 22, and Ruger SR22. The buckmark is a great gun, but not my first choice as a suppressor host. Both of the others are great hosts for either my SS Sparrow or my Spectre II. The only complaint I have about the SR22 is that I can't find a thread adaptor with the Sparrow thread profile on it. I'm going to try to get one made.

There is no real reason to take a mark III style pistol apart very often. You can do a thorough cleaning with out total disassemble.Just spry it down and let it soak. But there is kits available to make taking the barrel off easy.
And they aren't hard to get apart.....
2 friends have changed the barrels on regular MarkIIIs to Tactical Solutions threaded barrels instead of going with the 22/45
There is a integrally suppressed barrel for the mkIII pistol as well

I love my MarkIII. No suppressor yet but it's coming soon. They aren't that hard to get fully apart but is a bigger PITA that your average center fire pistol. That being said the volquartsen trigger, bushing (or other supplier) upgrades along with mag safety removal are very nice and needed to get the best feel possible.

I've shot JBett's gun. Nice package. (heh, heh) If I was doing it though, I'd find an older Ruger and have it threaded.
As far as Ruger takedown, I figured it out when I was about 10 years old. Not difficult, but things have to happen in a particular order. I did have a Government model that was so tight it was a real pain, other than that it's not that tough.

I have several that are threaded, including a Browning Buckmark, a Ruger Mark I Target, and a High Standard 106 Military. All three were 5.5" models to start. I picked up a 4" bull barrel for the Buckmark and had it threaded and the front sight moved back. I had the Ruger cut back to 4", the front sight moved back, and threaded. For the High Standard, I picked up a 4.5" LSP aftermarket barrel and had it threaded.

I enjoy all three of them. As another suggested, start with whatever model you are most comfortable with and shoot well, and have it threaded or get a threaded barrel. It only gets better when it is quiet!

I have a Sparrow that I shoot on my Buckmark. I love it. I had the TacSol 4" barrel, but I sent it back. I'm having a min bull 4" threaded for the o-ring engagement.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top