JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bought a single six convertible, three screw!! Now the search is on for a rifle, likely a bolt or lever action, automatic weapons generally don't work well in 22mag. Had a 640 mossberg (my first rifle) can't find one in decent shape now.

Any thoughts?

Congrats!

CZ 457 Lux in 22wmr - bolt action rifle.

^^^

My husband and I own 2 of these CZ rifles in 22wmr. We got them not too long ago from our MT FFL - NIB. (One NIB CZ 457 Lux in 22lr too. We own several other CZ 22lr bolt action rifles too.)

Henry Golden Boy in 22wmr. I owned one of these in 22lr AND in 22wmr in the past. Sweet rifles!

So I personally have owned two 22wmr Caliber rifles in my lifetime.

My MT husband has owned several 22wmr rifles over the years.

I never owned a Winchester in 22wmr in a 94-22 but they did or do (?) make them. I heard that the 22wmr rifle was just as sweet as the 22lr model. I DID own a Winchester 94-22 in 22lr. I do not know if they still MAKE this model.

I do not know if Browning ever made a BL22 in 22wmr. They did make a sweet BL22 in 22lr and I owned one of them in the past too.

Take care.

Cate

Last Edited:
Congrats!

CZ 457 Lux in 22wmr - bolt action rifle.

^^^

My husband and I own 2 of these CZ rifles in 22wmr. We got them not too long ago from our MT FFL - NIB. (One NIB CZ 457 Lux in 22lr too. We own several other CZ 22lr bolt action rifles too.)

Henry Golden Boy in 22wmr. I owned one of these in 22lr AND in 22wmr in the past. Sweet rifles!

So I personally have owned two 22wmr Caliber rifles in my lifetime.

My MT husband has owned several 22wmr rifles over the years.

I never owned a Winchester in 22wmr in a 94-22 but they did or do (?) make them. I heard that the 22wmr rifle was just as sweet as the 22lr model. I DID own a Winchester 94-22 in 22lr. I do not know if they still MAKE this model.

I do not know if Browning ever made a BL22 in 22wmr. They did make a sweet BL22 in 22lr and I owned one of them in the past too.

Take care.

Cate

Second the CZ457. I had one for a spell in .22LR (and a 455 too). I found the updates from the 455 model to 457 to be worth it.

Well, Pilgrim, ya gotta have a cowboy rifle ta go with yer cowboy pistol.

If I's you, I'd be lookin' fer a Winchester 9422M. Yep, prices are goin' up, but I found one in good shape 5 years ago for $400. Nice ones now are going for 600 or more.

Scoping it, I avoided a full-size 1" tube optic that would detract from the fast-handling slimness of the gun and stumbled on a Bushnell Scopechief 3-7 Variable .22 scope still new in the box with the papers and even the gold "B-crosshair" sticker still attached. $25. Trim, clear, rugged and accurate.

The 94/22m seems to be a slower seller than the lr model. Maybe I'll get lucky looking around. Looking at the ruger american too.
I've had the ruger american in 22 mag and its okay. I can't complain about the action or trigger or how it handles, what I can complain about is the magazines. You would think that them being just larger 10/22 mags they would be as reliable and 10/22 magazines but they aren't. The one from the factory stopped feeding in the first range trip and I have bought a couple more since, all of the 9 rounders have failed on me, the 15 round magazine I bought still works correctly but I'm not confident in it (bullets do weird things when loading it, doesn't feel like there's much spring tension pushing the rounds upward).

If I was gonna do it again I would buy the CZ 457 or something a long those lines.

Look on gun brooker. I have the single-six too. I do have both cylinders as well.
I have an old Marlin 882 in 22 magum that I bought new and still.is a tack driver.i always wanted a Mossberg 22 magnum Chuckster so I bought one off of Gun Brooker.
Then I bought a Ruger 77/22 magnum..

Check out gun brooker and see what looks interesting to you.

Winchester 9422m if you're not on a budget, Henry H001M if you are. I had the Henry years back when you could get .22mag for cheap and I absolutely loved that rifle. It easily hit clay pigeons at 100y with a RDS, was a real handy rifle to carry, and I've seen first hand .22mag do some real damage on larger game.

Here's a nice 640 on GB:

I had a Marlin 783 .22 magnum as my first rifle. For me it was a choice between the 640 and the 783. Not sure why the 783 won out, both fine rifles. My grandfather sure scolded me for getting a .22 magnum over a .22 long rifle due to the expense of the magnum over the long rifle. He was right of course. I had to save up to buy the magnum rounds, when a box off magnum CCIs was $2.25 and a box of Blazer longrifles could be had for $.89 at Black Bird. Wanted to have the advantage though over my friends that just had the long rifles. While they were out shooting, I was collecting cans.

I have a couple of CZ 452 bolt actions in 22 magnum. I've been happy with them. The 455 and 457 series, as others have mentioned, allow you the option of swapping barrels and the magazine to change from 22lr to 22 mag and 17 HMR, and vice versa.

Got a Henry Small Game Carbine in .22wmr several years ago and have been happy with it. Prefer the peep sight on the Small Game Carbine and Rifle to the buckhorn sights on the other variations. Youngest grandson below....

03.jpg

I have a Marlin 925M and love it. It is a great value, I bought mine new (15 years ago) for less than $200 and it looks like they are still available at that price. I have factory iron sights, no scope, and can shoot good groups at 50 yards. I used brass tacks to decorate the stock of mine in old Western style.

I have a Marlin 925M and love it. It is a great value, I bought mine new (15 years ago) for less than $200 and it looks like they are still available at that price. I have factory iron sights, no scope, and can shoot good groups at 50 yards. I used brass tacks to decorate the stock of mine in old Western style.

There's some love for ya.

It was the first rifle that I ever owned and, while it might have been more sensible to get the same gun in .22LR instead of .22Mag, I just loved how well it balanced and felt when I shouldered it in the store and took it home. I love the "crack" of the cartridge going off!

It was the first rifle that I ever owned and, while it might have been more sensible to get the same gun in .22LR instead of .22Mag, I just loved how well it balanced and felt when I shouldered it in the store and took it home. I love the "crack" of the cartridge going off!

If that is the gun and cartridge that by themselves taught you to shoot a rifle, I know what you say. I also know that is amongst the best choices that I would tell someone to learn rifles with.

Try Bi-Mart Coop. They've generally got a good selection of Henry's and Savage bolt actions at reasonable prices. I own a 9422M, it's the crown jewel of my collection. Those are pretty hard to find and the last one I saw for sale locally (cabelas) was $1,100! Fortunately mine was a hand me down and it will be going to my kiddo in the future.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top