JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been looking to purchase a quality .22 magnum pistol, Ruger, S&W, etc., not a revolver. Several websites I have visited discusses them so I am assuming they are still made, however I have been unable to locate a firearms dealer that carries them. Information as to availability, thoughts on particular brands would be helpful please.

Have you considered Kel-Tec PMR-30?
I love mine!
It is only 14 oz., has awesome trigger and a red-dot ready.
P8cc3ZT2hpQ.jpg

The important is to buy generation 2, with 1:11 twist non-fluted barrel (not gen. 1 fluted one, 1:16 twist) - to better stabilize bullets and avoid keyholing, and to buy Nest speedloader for PMR/CMR-30 made by American Speedloaders - to avoid cartridges' rimlocking in 30-rd magazines.

Most of your local gun stores should have one for approx. $350-375.

Last Edited:
I have been looking to purchase a quality .22 magnum pistol, Ruger, S&W, etc., not a revolver. Several websites I have visited discusses them so I am assuming they are still made, however I have been unable to locate a firearms dealer that carries them. Information as to availability, thoughts on particular brands would be helpful please.
AFAIK, Ruger nor S&W have ever made a semiauto .22 mag pistol.
Look at the ballistics for .22 mag pistols.. pretty lame. Get a .22lr

AFAIK, Ruger nor S&W have ever made a semiauto .22 mag pistol.
Look at the ballistics for .22 mag pistols.. pretty lame. Get a .22lr
Yep, .22WMR is not the cheapest plinking caliber. Unless you reload. :s0111:
Kel-Tec just started shipping new CP33 pistol - 33-rd of .22lr and 50-rd with extension.
I am going to get one as soon as madness ends and price drops down to $400-450.

The price of the ammo keeps these from being nearly as common as the 22. LR. As mentioned by others never heard of Ruger or Smith every making an auto loader in this. If you want a .22 LR I do love the Rugers. In either the MK or 22/45 design. Are you wanting to hunt some kind of small game with it? If it's just for fun no real reason to pay the price of the 22WMR.

It is actually for home defense (HD). I know it is not a powerhouse firearm for HD but it will do the task well. A LR is simply to weak and I do not want a large cal. firearm.

It is actually for home defense (HD). I know it is not a powerhouse firearm for HD but it will do the task well. A LR is simply to weak and I do not want a large cal. firearm.
In that case a wheel gun might be better. The PMR from Kel-Tec would be wicked in this role assuming you can get one and make sure it's 100 % reliable. Many of them are but several seem to get one with problems. Last I looked Ruger was offering the LCR in .22WMR.
The round is certainly nothing to mess with but there are many FAR better choices for what you want.

I am unfamiliar with firearms now. Many years ago (35?) I owned several rifles and revolvers but I moved to New Zealand and became a citizen. It is illegal to own hand firearms in NZ and very difficult to own rifles other than a shotgun. Even then to own a shotgun a citizen must prove that they are boar hunters and must go through a rigorous investigation/background check to show they were not a potential threat to human life. I wasn't a boar hunter.
Thanks I shall look up some of the items you mention.

Why a .22Mag for self defense? Ease, cost, will do the job if ever required, I am familiar with .22's and I simply do not want a large cal. handgun. I think that even a LR would do the job and has several benefits. Sure, if i was required to shoot a person with a 357 they would be toast, what was left of them, but even a .22LR would make a hole and i can imagine that it would not be pleasant to be fired at or hit. I have been fired at once (they were not I believe attempting to hit me, rather to scare me off) the bullet hitting a wall approx. 7 or 8 ft in front. 99.99 of intruders are not after my life and would not prefer to be engaged in a gun battle.

Why a .22Mag for self defense? Ease, cost, will do the job if ever required, I am familiar with .22's and I simply do not want a large cal. handgun. I think that even a LR would do the job and has several benefits. Sure, if i was required to shoot a person with a 357 they would be toast, what was left of them, but even a .22LR would make a hole and i can imagine that it would not be pleasant to be fired at or hit. I have been fired at once (they were not I believe attempting to hit me, rather to scare me off) the bullet hitting a wall approx. 7 or 8 ft in front. 99.99 of intruders are not after my life and would not prefer to be engaged in a gun battle.

I would really encourage you to find some instruction or a class near you with a quality Instructor that can take some time and understand your particular circumstances. If it's strictly for home defense a handgun, particularly a small caliber like 22WMR, is not the best choice. This all depends on where you live, ie., house with acreage, apartment, etc. I am a certified Law Enforcement Tactical Shooting Instructor, and if I am going to defend my home and loved ones, a pistol is going to be my backup choice, or a way to fight my way to my long gun or shotgun. That being said it all depends on your circumstances, physical limitations, etc. If no other choice? 22 WMR would certainly work, but don't think a 22WMR is going to cause the necessary trauma to "stop" a determined attacker. It very well may be lethal and shot placement is king, but as I have told many folks in my classes, many cops have been killed by dead men. I have 4 pistols that shoot 22WMR, and the only one I would use (if forced to) would be the PMR 30. 28 rounds make up for lack of Taylor Knockdown Power of an individual cartridge. Best of luck and I applaud you for taking responsibility for your safety!

Thanks. Appreciated. While yes a 22.mag may not be the best for stopping power I believe I can perform well enough to 'dissuade' an intruder. I don't expect to be confronted by a determined attacker within my home. Granted this may happen yet I think it unlikely. An intruder is unlikely to be anything but a burglar and a pistol in his face along with a few warnings will likely be sufficient. I am willing to look at other options so any advice would be appreciated. I also was a police officer in the military so was trained with firearms to some extent and yet that was farther back than I can (or wish to) remember. And certainly, taking a shooting class would be recommended; I have not fired in firearm in 30+ years. You mentioned that you own four .22mag pistols. Could you inform me as to where I could look for these?

Excel Arms makes a 22WMR pistol also. I don't know much about them but if I ever run across one for a "good price" I plan on getting one - just because. ;)