Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.22 Magnum handguns?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by mkwerx, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Aside from Ruger's single action revolver offering, and Kel Tec's fugly autoloader - what are one's options for .22 magnum pistols out there? I was given .22 mag ammo a couple years back - never had a gun to shoot it in. not sure if I want to go rifle or pistol in this caliber - so I'm curious as to what my options are. (Or maybe I'll find someone to take the ammo and stick with .22lr...)

2. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

Saw an AMT 22 Automag for sale on here somewhere. However you can't go wrong with the Single Six!!!

3. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've owned both a Single Six with both cylinders and an AMT Automag II in the past. Nothing against the Single six, but if I was to buy another 22 Mag, it would be the Automag II.

I've seen the ad for the one that's for sale on here and have been thinking, drooling, thinking...

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Charter Arms makes The Pathfinder in 22MAG in both 4 and 5" barrel lenghts

5. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

There is a nice little Taurus (yes I despise Taurus but it's only a 22mag) double action wheel gun that holds about 8-10 rounds . And I think S&W makes one .Does Ruger have one in the SP100?
    Then there are a couple nice rifles.The Henry lever gun,some 10-22s and a couple Remington 597s. I think the ruger was discontinued.
    Problem is the 22mag is too long and skinny to make a real reliable semi-auto. That and the cost of 22mag ammo keeps them from being popular.

I like the round and would use the round for a CC gun.Better than a .25. And it'll kill a coyote out to 75 yards I've heard.

Heck lots of wheel guns and the keltec and AMT automags out there
    GunBroker.com - Error

6. coosbaycreep

coosbaycreep 9 miles South of Roseburg Active Member

amt
    keltec
    grendel
    S&W
    taurus
    ruger
    excel arms
    NAA mini revolver
    I believe heritage also makes a SA revolver in .22mag, and there's been derringers in that caliber as well.

The only .22mag pistol I've owned was the AMT, and it was a crap load of fun to shoot.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

I've got a p.o.s. rohm revolver. Scary light trigger, crap materials.

8. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

I've always like the High Standard Double Nine, but they've been out of production for a while. Convertible cylinders (22 and 22 Mag), double action, swing-out loading instead of a loading gate, and 9 shots. They had a lot of variety in barrel lengths and what not. I'm not sure what kind of availability there is for those these days.

elsie

9. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Hm, from the sounds of it - I think I'm going to lean toward a rifle vs a handgun if I get the .22 mag.

I've been oogling Henry's .22 rifles for a long time - a friend of mine has the most accurate .22 I've ever had the pleasure to shoot - and it's a Henry lever action. His tricked out 10/22 doesn't even come close to being as accurate for me. Then again, I might try to find a single shot in the .22 Mag, and get the Henry in .22lr...

10. mjbskwim

There are some nice bolt 22mags out there.

11. vwtech103

vwtech103 Novato. Ca. New Member

A good friend has a .22mag Ruger Single Six great gun but he wishes it was a .22lr due to the rising price of ammo. I recommend give the ammo away or find someone who will share a day at the range with you shooting it up.

12. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

t/c contender, accurate beyond most anything.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  13. mjbskwim

I think this would be a great example of a 22mag.I would guess you could hit targets at 150 easy.maybe more

Still the effective kill range at closer to 100 yards or less. No?