JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone.
I've been wanting to experiment with turning 22 casings into brass jackets.

I know many ranges pick up the discarded brass, and sell what can be reloaded, but I assume they just sell the 22 casings as scrap to the recyclers.
Can anybody recommend what ranges I should contact to see if they've got some? 🤔

Or, I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone that was a regular 22Mag/LR shooter would save up their brass for me, as I come into PDX/Vancouver about 1-2 times a month.
Hopefully I can do some fun projects and post my progress here! 😁
Thanks!
-K

Go to Tri county at opening. Go straight to the black powder range. Turn on cold range lights and put out flag. Pick up 22 cases until your hands go numb or you back breaks itself, whichever comes first.

I was going to say the same thing, but go to Douglas ridge. Nobody picks up their .22 brass in the dirt or gravel.

Have you contacted Safe Fire indoor range in Camas? They collect all brass not claimed by the shooter. (Ie: I can pick up my brass, but I can't sweep floor and take everything). Maybe they can help?

@Reno
I am not a member to Tri-County, so I wouldn't want to be poaching on their lands. 😅
But I gladly would go harvest there if it would be alright.
Let me know if you ever want to join me. I'll sip coffee and watch you pick up brass until your hands fall off.

I do not.
I've worked as a machinist, and am considering doing it slightly differently.
Just experimenting at this point...😅

Also, found this article interesting. 😁
-K
During The Korean war my grandfather could not buy 22 cal varmint bullets. He made a swaging set much like The Corbin set. I would not say he made match grade bullets, But they were useable! One of the things about them is he would sort the empty cases by brand and process them that way. By sorting he got cores that were more uniform. and some brands of cases would split while unfolding the rims.
At that time 22 shorts were still comon. He would make half jacket bullets from them for 22 hornet or 218 Jet.
These days I can Powder Coat [PC] lead bullets that are acceptable in a rifle, and way easier to make than a swaged bullet. DR

Wait, wait, wait....
I'm surprised no one said to make yer own!
Grab yer 22 pistol, pick the brand ammo whose cases you wanna try, and BAM! Robert's yer mom's brother! Instant ready stock!

Joe

Hi everyone.

I know many ranges pick up the discarded brass, and sell what can be reloaded, but I assume they just sell the 22 casings as scrap to the recyclers.
Can anybody recommend what ranges I should contact to see if they've got some? 🤔

Or, I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone that was a regular 22Mag/LR shooter would save up their brass for me, as I come into PDX/Vancouver about 1-2 times a month.
Thanks!
-K
Check with SafFire in Vancouver.
Best,
Gary

@dangerranger60
That's kinda the idea I'm going for!
I've got a G19 22TCM9R barrel and I'm looking to make short 39gr HPs. 😁
I have a special love for doomsday prepping and want to be able to recycle almost ANY casing into a projectile 😅

@K-22 Thanks I'll contact them as well! 😊

Hi everyone.

Thanks!
-K
Sent you a message.

20170101_040251.jpg

Lee makes a 55 gr bullet mold that you could machine off some of the base to give you a lighter bullet.
I did the same with a 32 cal mold that droped at 90 gr and after milling it down it dropped a 75 gr bullet. I used that to make bullets for Moms S&W Lemon Squeeser! DR

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top