JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I mistakenly bought a box of CCI .22 long (not LR) today. Checked out a new gun/tactical store and asked if he had any 22 in stock and they had two boxes boxes of the CCI. Thought I'd be nice and leave one for the next guy, he never mentioned it was not the regular stuff. My fault for not checking but still feel duped.

Anyway, will these have any issues shooting it through a marlin 60? According to wiki they can be shot but there might not be enough power to cycle the action.

Your thoughts?

Sounds like you got it. It may be a tiny bit shorter so you may see issues there with feeding. On a bolt action you wouldn't have any issues, but with an autoloader you may expect to have some issues with pushing the bolt back enough due to the bullet size. The total velocity of the round will be quite a bit lower than LR due to the longer barrel of a rifle. If you had a revolver or other handgun it wouldn't be as much as an issue, but due to the lower charge and lighter bullet, it may be quite a bit slower. No big deal for plinking, other than the fact the action won't cycle, but hey, then you have a bolt action gun. :p

They will shoot through it but wont cycle it. They will also have a lower speed so if the rifle is sighted in for lr it will be low with the longs. If you were close by I'd trade ya for CCI mini mags I have a semi that shoots s,l,lr.

I mistakenly bought a box of CCI .22 long (not LR) today. Checked out a new gun/tactical store and asked if he had any 22 in stock and they had two boxes boxes of the CCI. Thought I'd be nice and leave one for the next guy, he never mentioned it was not the regular stuff. My fault for not checking but still feel duped.

Anyway, will these have any issues shooting it through a marlin 60? According to wiki they can be shot but there might not be enough power to cycle the action.

Your thoughts?

You will have less feed problems if you make sure to slide the cartridges all the way to the back of the mag when you load it.

" he never mentioned it was not the regular stuff. My fault for not checking but still feel duped."

Your gun shop guy should have mentioned it. Maybe he is not a real gun shop guy, just someone hired to run the till. Probably will not cycle any semiauto but will work in any manual action. This 22long is not in any way comparable to a 22lr ballistics and I don't know why people buy it if 22lr is available. I don't think it is subsonic.

The box states it's 1200+ fps, so not subsonic. And yeah, I feel like he knew what I meant when I said I could not find any 22, so he pulls this out from under the counter.

It is what it is. I'm ok with cycling the action with every round, makes it last longer, haha. I was more worried with getting a bullet lodged in the barrel due to the slower speeds.

Might still see if anyone wants to trade.
Thanks for the help fellas.

There is a difference in case length of the three 22 caliber rounds but any gun chambered for 22lr should fire all three rounds. 22short and 22long usually do not have enough pressure to cycle a 22lr semiauto so you manually cycle them. The shorter cases can leave a dirt ring in the chamber that may need cleaning before shooting 22lr. In modern ammo I think 22short and long have the same ballistics and are not subsonic.

Case length difference is only between .22 short and .22 lr. The .22 long uses the same case as the .22 lr.

per Wiki:
"The cartridge originated from the Flobert BB Cap of 1845 through the .22 Smith & Wesson cartridge of 1857, and was developed by the American firearms manufacturer J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company in 1887[3] by combining the casing of the .22 Long with the 40-grain (2.6 g) bullet of the .22 Extra Long."

I stand corrected about the difference between long and long rifle case lengths. I shoot a lot of cb longs and the shorter bullet leaves a dirt ring that you will notice when going back to lr. Sure quiet in a rifle though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top