JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ya your probably right when it comes to shooting a firearm in the city, i shouldnt do that. i was just looking for an upgrade to the current possum defense (a baseball bat) and heard about subsonics. guess they wernt as good of an idea as i thought... thanks for the info though... i might get some for the range just because they sound like they might be fun :)

ya your probably right when it comes to shooting a firearm in the city, i shouldnt do that. i was just looking for an upgrade to the current possum defense (a baseball bat) and heard about subsonics. guess they wernt as good of an idea as i thought... thanks for the info though... i might get some for the range just because they sound like they might be fun :)

what about a blow gun? (10$)

If it were me id make a trap.

Itd give me something to do and give me a little edge for 2012 :cool:

2 birds 1 stone

Why not just ask one of the mighty hunters who has a high powered air rifle to to come over and hunt under your house.

I always wanted an underground vehicle to run the mole tunnels with cameras that radio to a pc, allowing me to drive it, find the moles, and shoot them right in the tunnel. I think in about 50 years they will be selling them at walmart.

Why not just ask one of the mighty hunters who has a high powered air rifle to to come over and hunt under your house.

I always wanted an underground vehicle to run the mole tunnels with cameras that radio to a pc, allowing me to drive it, find the moles, and shoot them right in the tunnel. I think in about 50 years they will be selling them at walmart.

this made me laugh. :s0114: interesting idea:s0155:

Do you need to borrow a live trap?

Getting them screened out from your house is #1. Removing comfy food and attractants is #2. Shooting them in city limits with a "firearm" is a no-no especially with neighbors. Why give them more ammo to vote for no guns?

Possums and Raccoons are tough critters. My pellet gun does 750 FPS and pellets bounce off possums and coons at point blank range. I'm sure something that's traveling just under the speed of a .22 would do the deed though (1000fps).

i definitely dont want to add to the possibility of a gun ban

i think i will just invest in a live trap... ill probably find other uses for it too... might prove to come in handy...

Live trap + 8' piece of rope + ditch full of water = something that my Grandpa always said worked.

If you purchase one, don't buy a collapsible one unless you're only planning on catching cats or possums. If you're gonna catch raccoons, I find it's best to buy the biggest toughest solid trap you can.

I had a raccoon absolutely wreck a collapsible trap when it got stuck inside....and then it promptly escaped.

Do you need to borrow a live trap?

Getting them screened out from your house is #1. Removing comfy food and attractants is #2. Shooting them in city limits with a "firearm" is a no-no especially with neighbors. Why give them more ammo to vote for no guns?

Possums and Raccoons are tough critters. My pellet gun does 750 FPS and pellets bounce off possums and coons at point blank range. I'm sure something that's traveling just under the speed of a .22 would do the deed though (1000fps).

I once bought a house that had perfect turf, the old owner laid down sod just before he had to leave. So as soon as I move in so do the moles. I made a system to drive them away out of surplus stuff that consisted of vibrators I made from small dc fans with half the blades cut off put in waterproof boxes (used to ship large ink cartridges) tht I burried and wired these up to an old microcontroller trainer (a VIM 1) using transistors to increase the drive current. I wrote software using random number generation to buzz the boxes and the moles moved out. However, my new neighbors never forgave me for not taking my share.

My fantasy of killing them underground in their tunnels with a game type interface just seemed like more fun. But I will revise it in the interests of perserving the 2nd ammendment and will now imagine that you get to kill one when you catch it with a small circular saw! Darn I just had to add windshield wipers to the camera lens!

CB longs...I have an old Win tube feed .22 and when holding the action closed with my right thumb, all I hear is the click of
the hammer and maybe the bullet impact. I took out a backyard raccoon problem @ 25' a couple years ago with one shot...4x scope helped.

I had a rat living under my deck. Wouldn't go near a trap and poison was out cause of dogs. Put some CCI CBs in my Ruger single six and set up bench rest on my dining room table with a clear shot thru the sliding door. Bugger came out from under deck to get to get bread I threw out on the grass....POP....Dead rat.

I have shot CCI CBs in the Garage into an old telephone book with my Henry 22 lever. My airsoft gun is louder.

Possums---ugly rat-on-steroids critters with a bad attitude. Supposed to be tasty. Someone
give that a try and let me know how it was.

Toss in some mothballs and screen/block access to the crawlspaces. Don't leave anything around
to attract them. They LOVE dog/cat food, as I found out a few years ago when a frikkin' HOARD
of them moved in on me.

Live trap them, then give them a one way trip to the country. And no--I don't mean let
them go--give those CB longs or whatever a try before you open the trap.
Or drop them trap and all in a barrel of water for a few hours, and toss the remains in the trash.

I think the Remington sub-sonic will, I can't recall if the Aguila 60grs did :confused:
If you want to be quiet I suggest a bolt action .22lr with sub-sonic ammunition and a suppressor, this will make less noise than a air rifle.

I use the CCI subsonic 40 grain hollowpoints and they cycle our 10/22s perfectly and we can shoot them without hearing protection but they definitely sound like a gun firing. Only CB caps will do what the OP wants to accomplish, sans suppressor, but they will not cycle

Please understand the consequences of shooting a firearm within your city limits.
last time we had a pest it somehow swallowed an arrow.

In some areas even firing an arrow is an infraction

BTW poison is bad idea.. it's not only a tortuous and cruel death for the rat/opposum, but you or your neighbor's cat or dog may get to it

The rat in my back yard died of an acute case of lead poisoning. He had it for about .001 second but that was long enough for a fatal infection. Since the lead poisoning was thru and thru, My neighbors pet snake ate it.

I sure as heck wouldn't discharge a firearm in the city limits. I don't know if that offense is enough to cause you problems the next time you want to buy a firearm or get a CCW - no idea at all. I just wouldn't do it. There are traps...

If you really want them dead, trap them and then take them out to the country and shoot them. If the neighbors ask what you are doing with them, you tell them you are taking them out to the country to shoot them with an automatic weapon (even if you dont have an auto).

wg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top