JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i have a ruger 10/22 and im looking for the best .22lr subsonic. i need something queit enough that the neighbors wont hear me. (my neighbors are gun control fanatics and dont think anyone should have guns, including cops)

i have heard of some getting stuck inside the barrel and im kinda worried about this.

anybody know of a good subsonic that will be quiet as a mouse and wont get stuck in my barrel? (correctly cycling would be a plus too :) )

I'm not sure if subsonics will cycle your Ruger. Anyone know ?
I think the Remington sub-sonic will, I can't recall if the Aguila 60grs did :confused:
If you want to be quiet I suggest a bolt action .22lr with sub-sonic ammunition and a suppressor, this will make less noise than a air rifle.

Remington Sub-Sonics cycle my 10-22, they arn't quiet though. Quieter than regular 22LR.

If you want a relatively quiet 10-22 then you need a long barrel. I've got a 28" sporter profile on order from Green Mountain that's supposed to near quiet, kinda heavy though.

CCI CB Longs are very quiet but you will have to manually cycle a semiauto. I think they are better than the Aguila ammo. If you are in a city limits consider laws about discharging a firearm.

im not trying to disregard the law, but i need something that can take out a few of the rapidly growing possum population (they are viscous little creatures! and they like to nest in the crawl space under my house. grr.)

I would think that a 1000 fps air rifle with the pointed pellets would take care of possums (with less of a chance of a stray .22LR round going someplace you don't want it to go).

Here ya go Ahuston, A thread from Rimfire Central about this subject.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317255&highlight=quiet

From what I gather Super Colibri is the quietest, only primer powered.

CBs come in second because of a small amount of powder.

Subsonics third, some should be powerful enough to function your semi.

FWIW I tend to like the characters of raccoons and squirrels but feel free to shoot all the possums and skunks that you can. Nasty critters.

im not trying to disregard the law,
Rea....lly,
im kinda cheap
Getting a hefty fine and having your firearm confiscated is not so cheap.
I would trap em.
Possums are tough to kill, the .22 CB would be the best option for noise, but you will need to zero the sights for the CBs. Shot placement would need to be precise.

I've been doing a lot of testing lately. The Super Colibiris are really quiet. CCI CB Shorts are the next quietest. Most of the .22 LR Sub-sonics aren't that quiet.

The Super Colibiris are so quiet you don't need any hearing protection at all. The CCI's are a little bit noisy but not as noisy as a 1000fps air rifle. Ear protection is only necessary if you are sensitive. Anything else and your neighbors are going to hear it.

I was shooting Super Colibris and birds were walking in front of my trap. They are so slow you can see them lobbing through the air. Not very consistent either. I get better consistency out of the CCI's. I just picked up some CCI CB Short - "Target" rounds at Wholesale sports but haven't tried them yet.

One thing is that the Super Colibiris are only around 500fps, the CCI CB Shorts are around 700fps. I think a .22 air rifle may put out more energy. Walmart has the Gamo air rifles at a decent price.

.22 CB assuming 29gr bullet at 700fps muzzle energy = 31.5 ft/lbs
.22 pellet assuming 15grs at 800fps ME = 21.3 ft/lbs
I would guess a air rifle would be more accurate than CBs.

im not trying to disregard the law, but i need something that can take out a few of the rapidly growing possum population (they are viscous little creatures! and they like to nest in the crawl space under my house. grr.)

Have you considered screening the crawl space and removing attractants such as pet food if any is out?

Possums by nature are transient unless they find a really good place to nest, or a steady food supply. Normally they'd just keep moving on.

They'll eat almost anything so garbage can lids have to be tight, etc.

I sure as heck wouldn't discharge a firearm in the city limits. I don't know if that offense is enough to cause you problems the next time you want to buy a firearm or get a CCW - no idea at all. I just wouldn't do it. There are traps...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top