JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like 22s alot. If it were me I would figure what I want to do with the gun and buy one that fits the purpose. If you are just a plinker then any of the Ruger standard 22s will work for you. Auto or revolver they make a fine 22. They are also cheaper than most and made in America.

jj

I would get the gsg. I love mine, very easy to shoot, acurrate, and a huge cool factor. I also have a p22 that would be a great beginner .22, But the cheapest option would be a revolver like a ruger single six or similar. Very easy to learn with and they aren't going to need much maitenance or cleaning. I own all three and I enjoy them more than the large calibers

If this is just for plinking, than I would definitely recommend the Walther P22. It's alot of fun, very comfortable, and in my opinion, the best .22lr semiauto handgun in the $300 range, as far as for plinkers go. The Ruger Mark 3's are fun too, and more accurate at longer ranges, but I had better cycling of all types of ammo in the P22. Revolvers are fun as well. If you are planning on getting another handgun in the future for self defense, I think it would be a good idea to ask yourself what you want in the future, as that could be a good factor for determining which .22lr handgun you get. If you want a 1911, get the Ruger Mark 3, as it is designed to basically be a trainer for the 1911. If you want a Glock, Sig, etc.. The P-22 would be a good option. If you want a revolver, get a .22lr revolver. Getting a .22lr handgun to match which handgun you want to become proficient with eventually, as far as self defense goes, is a good way to familiarize yourself with the type of gun you will eventually be training/shooting with. If you just want some plinking fun, then most .22lr handguns will work.

I've shot a P22 (friend's) and bought a Sig Mosquito. Both have pros and cons (check thread on P22 vs. Sig). I strongly recommend you look into the Ruger line up. I felt they looked weird and passed. But (BIG BUT), Ruger has a better after market than the Germans. Plus, getting a mag for either German can give you a heart attach. :)

Hey sweetbeard.....

Good taste in guns and ammo, but your beer is a bit weak! :D

And DarkWing6 - It's real hard to go wrong with a Ruger. They are made in America and the least expensive 'bang for the buck'!

Let us know what you decided on.

Frog.

It'd be a Calico M-110 if I were out to take advantage of the circumstances which you might call, limited time only.

My only .22 now is a conversion kit for 1911 frames, called a Colt Ace, not greatly accurate, not made anymore, but a fun way to get trigger time with your 1911's trigger.

Gemtech Oasis on a Ruger Mk III for you Oregon dwellers?

Hey DarkWing6, I just noticed you're from Tacoma. Look out for that Zero Ring, he hangs out around here too. Good to have another member in The City Of Destiny. So to speak.

My birthday is coming up in February and I am going to ask for a .22. This will be my first gun that I own, so I'm not too smart on what to buy, etc. What .22 handguns do you guys have and like?

Who me?? :D

Personally I have three .22's at the moment. All three meet different "needs" for me and it's tough to know which one I'd get first if I was on a budget.

Probably the "funnest" of the three would have to be my GSG-5 rifle. :D And thats not just because it's the most expensive either!! ($500 for rifle, about $300 in "extras")

The other two are a Ruger 10/22 that I've had for 25 years or so that I recently put a decent scope on and a Smith & Wesson 22A pistol. Both of these are in the $200 range and both are usually with me when I am out making brass. :p

So I guess it depends on your budget and preference for long guns or shorties. Eventually, if you're anything like most of us on this board, you'll end up with both. :s0155:

Thanks for all the great info guys.

My main use for the gun will just be for going out shooting with my friends, so I don't plan on this being a carry gun or anything like that. Basically, I sick of paying for .45 ammo when I shoot my dad's 1911 (basically mine cause he never shoots it :p).

I'm not a big fan of revolvers, so I'd prefer a semi-auto. I'd like to keep it within the $200-300 range and don't mind buying used. My father-in-law is a police officer, so he may be able to get discounts (I know he knows some good places to buy).

I'll keep researching some of what you guys posted, but that should give you some more information about what I am looking for for now.

Again, thanks!

well if your dad owns .45 1911 find out its brand and you could simply buy a conversion kit for it. I know kimber and colt sell coverson kits for around $300-$350 and it's alot easyer than finding a new or used 22 semi-auto. and plus they're easy to put in. bu tif your still looking for a 22 semi-auto by its self i would go for a buckmaster it is simaler to a high standard. but i don't know the price that's the down side.

your dad has a ruger 1911 i dont very well know their price range but i can check. oh and the hand gun i sugested i was rong it is a browning buck mark you can find a good one for around $300-$400. they're a nice gun i shot my friend's dad's buck mark they shoot pretty acurate and not all that spendy either. i can look for a picture of one for you. i just foud out that the conversion kit funs for 460. a bit of a drag.:(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top