JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently I have taken up upland bird hunting. I think it would be slick to have 22 handgun handy to dispatch any birds that were winged and tried to fly when you approached them. My 20 gauge tends to blow them in half at that distance. I have thought about picking up a BiMart 22 revolver (I forget the name but it's their single action one) but figured I'd check here first. Let me know if you have something or any suggestions, Thanks Andy

I have a couple Ruger single six revolvers with 22LR and 22wmr cylinders. One is a blued old model and the other is a Stainless hunter model with us scope rings and integral mounts with a 7.5" barrel

I have a walther p22 I don't really shoot. Has two 10 rd magazines, factory box and accessories. I would be willing to sell it or trade for a nice low power scope for my marlin 1894c, a decent spotting scope (meaning better than my janky Simmons), a 3000+W generator, a table saw, or who knows what. Cash can be added on either side, depending on the trade. Hit me with an offer if you're interested. It has 200 rounds or less through it. It's desert camo like the one below, can send pics of the actual pistol if interested.

a8cc39f8fa5121ffb3be30075a3ecf2a.jpg

Learn the pattern of your 20 ga and hold off/over x # of inches to just catch the head/neck of the bird with the edge of the pattern using trap/dove 8's.

Pattern at like 3/5/7/10 yards with these "swatter" loads to get a feel for it.

This is a useful skill to have.

I have a couple Ruger single six revolvers with 22LR and 22wmr cylinders. One is a blued old model and the other is a Stainless hunter model with us scope rings and integral mounts with a 7.5" barrel
Thanks, I don't get up to that area often. I have seen your posts in the past, are you a gun shop?

I have a walther p22 I don't really shoot. Has two 10 rd magazines, factory box and accessories. I would be willing to sell it or trade for a nice low power scope for my marlin 1894c, a decent spotting scope (meaning better than my janky Simmons), a 3000+W generator, a table saw, or who knows what. Cash can be added on either side, depending on the trade. Hit me with an offer if you're interested. It has 200 rounds or less through it. It's desert camo like the one below, can send pics of the actual pistol if interested.

View attachment 396003
Not my style with the digital camo, thanks for posting

Learn the pattern of your 20 ga and hold off/over x # of inches to just catch the head/neck of the bird with the edge of the pattern using trap/dove 8's.

Pattern at like 3/5/7/10 yards with these "swatter" loads to get a feel for it.

This is a useful skill to have.[/QUOTE
Had a "wow, why didn't I think of that" moment when I read your post. I really appreciate your feedback and need to give it a try. I have been using #7 shot. I'm looking for grouse/quail and have only gotten quail so far. Would #8 take a grouse?

Yes up close on 8s and grouse. If you are sluicing them out of a tree or on the side of a (private) road the hold off method is fine for non aviator grouse.

They are funny because sometimes they flush out there a bit, others you can kill with a stick.

20 ga #6 lead has been my grouse medicine and I have no shame in sluicing them. They taste delicious.

Quail on the other hand, I like to get in flight.

Recently I have taken up upland bird hunting. I think it would be slick to have 22 handgun handy to dispatch any birds that were winged and tried to fly when you approached them. My 20 gauge tends to blow them in half at that distance. I have thought about picking up a BiMart 22 revolver (I forget the name but it's their single action one) but figured I'd check here first. Let me know if you have something or any suggestions, Thanks Andy
Hi Andy,
You want to carry a 2nd gun in the field to dispatch downed birds? Why don't you just get a box of "less than lethal" 20 gauge shells. They contain rubber buck. Should work fine without destroying your crippled birds, and you won't have to carry around a 2nd gun. Here's a site that carries them; 20 Gauge Double Ball- 5rds per box - NL129

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top