JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Smith & Wesson 22a is overlooked all the time. I recommend it, is easy to handle, reliable and is easy to take apart without tools. The only thing to be aware of is the plastic recoil spacer which needs replacement every 1000 rounds or so, but they are cheap and easy to replace.

<broken link removed>

RECOIL SPACER | Brownells

When i get the bug to bring home something, I never have a large firearms budget or at least not for the higher end stuff. My start initially was to get a Ruger single six for all around plinking fun- that was 30 years ago. Get one today and you will have no regrets. Next I wanted a small semiauto I could toss into my back pack for over nighters on the trail. Once again I had no budget for a little Baretta I had my Eye on. Well I ended up with a $125 Pheonix Arms and when fed good copper or brass coated ammo , it was surprisingly fun to shoot and if kept clean a pretty reliable plinker. A lot later I fell for $250 Chiappa-Puma 1911 look alike. Also surprisingly a decent shooter if you use good ammo. (and keep it clean). Don't know your budget or if home defense is the objective either way, there are plenty of other options as suggested by others in response to your request for info. Just thought i would throw out and positive opinion for the value of a Pheonix or a Chiappa and Ruger single six which is even better if a revolver is to your liking for that matter. Good luck and happy New Year

I've a Ruger LCR .22 and a Taurus Ultra-Lite .22 Magnum and I enjoy both revolvers for their unique characteristics. Love the design of the LCR and the affordability of the cheaper ammo but appreciate the extra punch of the Taurus and the double action option plus additional differences between the 2. Both are very fun at target practice and holster and conceal efficiently. Would be a difficult choice for me to pick one over the other; thus thankful for both.

I have a High Standard revolver that my dad bought used back in the 60s. I take it out shooting with my kids (who are now just about all grown). Fun, cheap, but rugged. I don't know how many tens of thousands of rounds have gone through it, but it's been plenty. On the other hand, my sons Walther p22 is pretty chewed up after several thousand rounds, and I've heard the sig mosquito tends to wear out too. I guess my point is that an all steel revolver shouldn't fail you against anything a .22 can dish out.

I bought a Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22 LR Revolver from Fisherman's Marine for about $140 New several months ago when they had them on sale. It is a nice revolver and was a good price and I like shooting it. It is a 6 shot single action only though.

HARR22.jpg

Bravo 4 I have some recoils spacers and springs still in package, from brownells. I no longer have my 22 A. If you are interested. I live near portland. Of course gun show is this week. Maybe I just need to buy another one. haha.

I agree. The SR22 is accurate and a great pistol. Take down for cleaning is a snap.

After reading everyone's support of the SR22 I finally had the chance to hold one today. It felt great and it tagged along home with me. Be a few days before it gets some range time, but my initial impression is very favorable.

When you go to the range with your SR.22 take a small straight blade screwdriver with you that will fit the adjustment screws on the rear site and the manual to know which way to turn them. Mine is dead on at 25' after some minor sight tweeks. Great gun.

The Smith & Wesson 22a is overlooked all the time. I recommend it, is easy to handle, reliable and is easy to take apart without tools. The only thing to be aware of is the plastic recoil spacer which needs replacement every 1000 rounds or so, but they are cheap and easy to replace.

<broken link removed>

RECOIL SPACER | Brownells

Also the base pad on the magazines tend to break off. I have had two of them break. At least S&W sent me replacements base pads for free.

I don't see why the sig mosquito has so many haters. I love mine and have not have had one jam in almost 1000 rounds and I've shot cci wen and rem hollow point. Trigger pull feels great and it's very accurate at 25 30 ft. I took it to the range last weekend and hit a bulls eye at about that range on the first mag.

I bought the M&P 22 about three months ago. The thing I like most about it is the size and the funtion. It funtions just like the rest of the whole M&P line. I would have gotten a Ruger Mark III but alot of the handling characteristics are very disimillar from combat pistols. I wanted something that I could train on and would be like my carry and home defence guns. The walther, mosquito and others seem like 2/3 scale size. So far I really like the M&P and have about 1000 rounds through it. Ran great on all kinds of ammo. Only note is some wear in the rails on the slide where the anadized finish has worn through in spots. You can't see this externally.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top