JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Holy barrel melt Batman! At 5000 fps, best to have additional mags in your pack and additional barrels with a quick connect/disconnect system...

Not to mention an asbestos glove to remove the old one :eek:

He is still around, just that one thread got deleted.
RDB you can read his posts in a couple of other threads and get an idea of what was going on. here is a link to his content.
Check out his screen name and remember he talked openly about his diagnosis of depression and wanting to be a cop.

<broken link removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the early '60's it seemed like, "Velocity" was the rage.:rolleyes:
Some wag even published a picture of, (I think it was a 20mm ) necked down several times to .22 cal.:rolleyes:
I used to joke about how fast a phonograph needle would go and was waiting for someone one to try it.:eek:

A buddy of mine hand packed some way-too-hot .223s for his accurately scoped TC Contender and suddenly couldn't seem to hit anything. Kept moving the target closer and closer until we were only 3-5 yards away. The projectiles were disintegrating into fragments.

The trouble with speeds like that is the amount of powder it takes to create the pressures reeks havoc on the throat in the chamber. Even running a 220 Swift at wide open can wear a throat and barrel out in 5000 rounds. Even the 22-250 and .243 can run into this when pushing 4000fps. A cartridge that would push 5000fps would have a very short barrel life if run wide open all the time.

I run my 22-250 at 3500fps for most loads and on a few up to 3800fps
I run my .243 at 3200-3400fps for most loads and have some long range coyote loads that run almost 4000fps but they are only used to sight in and then on prey so maybe a dozen or so a season.

fast is worthless without accuracy.

IMG_1965.JPG Ok here is a picture of the original.22 eargesplitten loudenboomer as made by P.O. Ackley prior to 1966, possibly while he was still living in Roseburg, prior to moving to Utah. This picture is taken from the first edition "Handbook for shooters and Reloaders" by PO Ackley, 1st addition Vol. 2, I read an article about this cartridge by P.O. Where he stated he used solid copper bullets turned on a lathe, and pushed those bullets to just over 5000 fps.

View attachment 333505 Ok here is a picture of the original.22 eargesplitten loudenboomer as made by P.O. Ackley prior to 1966, possibly while he was still living in Roseburg, prior to moving to Utah. This picture is taken from the first edition "Handbook for shooters and Reloaders" by PO Ackley, 1st addition Vol. 2, I read an article about this cartridge by P.O. Where he stated he used solid copper bullets turned on a lathe, and pushed those bullets to just over 5000 fps.

That thing's got death written all over it lol.

First, he claimed to be a police officer in training. Then he proceeded to say that police officers should carry .22lr pistols instead of 9mm as it was just as lethal but with less recoil it would be easier for most to control, plus less chance for overpenetration. After that it was a free-for-all attack on the troll :p

He also posted in a few other threads and it became quite apparent he was no 'officer in training'.
I woulda paid to see @No_Regerts @SHPD_Retired and some of our other current/former LEOs tear the poser apart down to Subatomic Particles level... :)

But...

"I Am NOT A Cop!"--Richard "Det. John Munch" Belzer

:D

Without this being any sort of endorsement, that troll was actually kind of funny.

I read somewhere about some sort of maximum velocity that is connected to the speed of expanding gasses of smokeless powder. I thought the maximum was somewhere around mach 3. Am I crazy, or misremembering, or is there something to this limit?

I haven't hear the name Eargesplitten Loudenboomer in a long time. It was a term coined by a gunwriter and the cartridge was a gunsmith's response. I believe Jeff Cooper was quoted in some print about it (not that he had anything to do with it).
What a fantastic name for a wildcat cartridge. I'd like to do some 30 cal wildcat, but I wouldn't be able to come up with a name that cool.

Someday I'd like to try to neck down (and sabot, as required) a 155 howitzer or whatever the largest cased-brass round available is and try to get upholstery needles up as close to light-speed as possible...

For the trivia wonks:

.22 EL = 5000fps = 3409mph = Mach 4.48
SR-71 Blackbird = Mach 3.35 = 2546mph = 3734fps

Last Edited:
I woulda paid to see @No_Regerts @SHPD_Retired and some of our other current/former LEOs tear the poser apart down to Subatomic Particles level... :)

But...

"I Am NOT A Cop!"--Richard "Det. John Munch" Belzer

I did not read this persons article as just the title made me realize it would be on the absurd side. That being said when I first started in law enforcement we trained with 22 ammo. I do not think it was for the sake of accuracy but for the sake of the budget. We had Smith & Wesson revolvers that were built on the model 19 frame but in 22 cal. You know this was a long time ago as when we shot we did not even wear ear protection. Since I recently went back to work for the Sheriffs' Office I am again carrying a .40 cal pistol, even though I would prefer to carry a 9mm.

If you like the SR-71, then this is a must read on how it was designed and built by the lead engineer, along with his involvement in the stealth bomber.

1200x630bf.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews