JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this has already been beat to death :s0013: but I'm really having a hard time grasping this is really that bad a problem.

As far as I can tell it is not possible to take a MkIII apart for cleaning without dry firing the gun. Unless you leave a snap cap in the chamber there is no way to clear the gun and take it apart without dry firing.

I also noticed that my new 10/22 doesn't have a last round hold open so unless you are paying close attention to how many rounds you've sent down range aren't you more than likely going to dry fire the rifle at the end of every magazine?

Finally, why is it when you go to buy a .22 the people behind the counter don't have a snap cap for you to try the trigger out with? No returns on firarm purchases but you can't try the trigger until it's yours :huh:

Is this a bigger issue with older firearms? Have the manufacturers caught up with the idea that the gun is going to be dry fired?

Depends on the firearm you're talking about. It CAN be a problem in a lot of .22s. The two you mention have features that prevent this.

Can I dry fire my Mark III pistol?
Yes. The Mark III has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel and damaging the edge of the chamber. If you are going to dry fire the pistol extensively, the stop pin and firing pin will eventually wear and contact could occur, and we recommend replacing both the firing pin and the firing pin stop from time to time. You should also monitor the contact of the firing pin with the rear of the barrel.

Can I dry fire my Ruger rifle?
Yes. All Ruger rifles can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!

A quality rimfire pistol allows dry firing, like my S&W m41, also your Ruger MK2 or 1 is ok to dry fire. As for the lawyered up MK3 I'm not sure. If you see a peening on the breach face then the head space isnt properly set. Most stuff made today is crap and probably shouldnt be dry fired without a snap cap.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top