JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to try NRL22 this February.

Been doing my homework a bit so I don't absolutely tank it.

Im curious to hear what others do to prep.

This months COF looks fun and the distances aren't always known at TCGC as it has a longer range. Sounds like Dave sets up at least one stage as option 2.

So my question is, do you trust your dope? Or do you verify it prior?

Im going to be shooting CCI SV and in my rifle 18" it goes roughly 1080-1100. So I'm using 1090 for my calculations. I've never shot this sort of match and though I'm familiar with calculating ballistics for my center fire reloads, I've never done it with 22lr. I'm not sure how much I trust it lol!

For instance, the first stage calls for a 2.5" and 3" plate at 92 yards (option 1). That's up 5.5 MOA, 22 clicks. Is that all most of you do? Run your ballistic app for the stages distances and have them ready? Or do you verify?

Excited to give this a go!

Thanks for any tips and or pointers.

Reno

My rifle shoots slower than the advertised spec and I find the drop off is a bit different than the calculators. Get some dope to 100 to see how far off you are from the calculators.

I'm right there with you this Feb. I'll be finding an ammo brick the rifle likes and getting dope from 50 to 200 yards.

With the base I'm running and rings, my scope actually bottoms out perfectly at 50 yards, so I've got a lot of room to adjust for drop.

Strategically, I've been practicing setting the scope to be on at 100 and just holding over from 50 to 250. Figure I'll shoot faster that way.

Usually the calculated dope is pretty close, assuming your input variables are correct.

The best way to confirm dope without checking every possible distance, is to set up a board at 50 and 100yds when you set up your sight in target. Confirm zero and 50, and calculate your actual dope at 100. (As stated above, and my rifle shoots slower than the advertised speed as well)

Then you have an idea of the adjustment you need to make to the values given by your ballistic software. (Ie, your software says your dope is 5.5 moa, but your actual is 5.8, you know your rough adjustment needed). You can also back into your actual speed with this method, and get more accurate numbers out of your software. (Adjust your speed input so your 100 calculated matches your actual observed)

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll be out there if you need help that morning.

Michael Jones

Usually the calculated dope is pretty close, assuming your input variables are correct.

The best way to confirm dope without checking every possible distance, is to set up a board at 50 and 100yds when you set up your sight in target. Confirm zero and 50, and calculate your actual dope at 100. (As stated above, and my rifle shoots slower than the advertised speed as well)

Then you have an idea of the adjustment you need to make to the values given by your ballistic software. (Ie, your software says your dope is 5.5 moa, but your actual is 5.8, you know your rough adjustment needed). You can also back into your actual speed with this method, and get more accurate numbers out of your software. (Adjust your speed input so your 100 calculated matches your actual observed)

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll be out there if you need help that morning.

Michael Jones
Was out at the silhouette range this morning. Put a few of the hanging targets out at the distances required for Febs matches COF. I was pretty spot on. I get why so many are into MIL now. When things are calculated in 10ths and you are doing everything in 4ths it can be a PITA! That and though the clicks are the same, it's easier to think 8 mils vs 30 MOA.

What do you do for prep? Cheat cards? Should I write up a card for each stage?

How often does Dave go with option 2 for any of the stages?

Look forward to meeting you!

Bryan

This is only Dave's second match, last month he went with one. If you are signed up on practiscore, he should mail out the details before the match.

Once he does that, I'll prep cheat cards for the stages where there are multiple distances so that's one less thing to do the morning of the match. For the stages that are one distance, I just know that dope for the stage and dial that in.

Correct, I much prefer Mils over moa. If for nothing else, just like you said, I can think of 6.2 much easier than 22.25

For February all of the NRL22 stages will be the shorter distance Option 1. I am looking for a reasonable stage that is a challenge but able to be shot at the longer range, and will avoid making the tiebreaker stage option 2.
The sixth stage will try to focus on an area that the other stages don't cover very well. I'm open to suggestions. For February it may be an "Appleseed" stage (standing, kneeling, sitting, prone unsupported at 50, 100, 150, 200) since there is an Appleseed event the following weekend at DRRC. Slings as taught at Appleseed can be difficult to run at TCGC. Maybe the DRRC match should have this stage….

I'm also conceptualizing enfilade/defilade or keyhole target/partially obscured target stages….but those may take too long to set up and validate….

Calculators are great and they will get you close. I really prefer verifiable data. I like collecting data out to 200 YDS, even if we don't shoot that far, at least the data is there for reference. We have a match down here in Eugene at Izaak Walton on 2nd Saturday in March. The last one the furthest we had to get out to was 150yds for one stage.
I say, if you have time to get out and get solid DOPE and not just theoretical DOPE you will do better.

Any chance you have details on that match? That's in my neck of the woods and would be interested in attending that.
As for the dope, I personally just set up targets from 50-150 yards and trued my strelok curve to my findings. It has worked very well for me but probably not necessary for standard nrl22 match. Hope you have a great time, it's a blast.

For February all of the NRL22 stages will be the shorter distance Option 1. I am looking for a reasonable stage that is a challenge but able to be shot at the longer range, and will avoid making the tiebreaker stage option 2.
The sixth stage will try to focus on an area that the other stages don't cover very well. I'm open to suggestions. For February it may be an "Appleseed" stage (standing, kneeling, sitting, prone unsupported at 50, 100, 150, 200) since there is an Appleseed event the following weekend at DRRC. Slings as taught at Appleseed can be difficult to run at TCGC. Maybe the DRRC match should have this stage….

I'm also conceptualizing enfilade/defilade or keyhole target/partially obscured target stages….but those may take too long to set up and validate….
Unsupported prone for a bonus round is a good idea. I'm getting long range clearance from the club, out to 400 yards.

Any chance you have details on that match? That's in my neck of the woods and would be interested in attending that.
As for the dope, I personally just set up targets from 50-150 yards and trued my strelok curve to my findings. It has worked very well for me but probably not necessary for standard nrl22 match. Hope you have a great time, it's a blast.

Match is open to sign up on Practice Score.

Is the match at Izaac Walton that saladfarmer was referring to on practice score? I thought that's what grapo13 was asking about.
The Izaak Walton range in Eugene rifle match is NOT on Practiscore. Alternating schedule of precision rifle, gas gun-only, and .22lr. Format for all is PR type, adjusting for our 285 yd max range. Steve tries to keep it friendly for newbies while still having some challenge/ decent practice for experienced PR guys. I enjoy it.

2nd Saturday of the month. This month was .22 next month is bolt gun/gas gun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top